At Starling, we knew banks could do better, so we built a mobile bank account from scratch for personal, joint and business. Voted Best British Bank, Best Current Account Provider and Best Business Banking Provider at the 2019 British Bank Awards, our mobile banking app makes banking fast, easy, free and seamless – and it’s changing how people manage their money.
THE PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT.
This is a mobile banking app – but not as you know it.
• Keep track of what’s coming in and out of your account with instant payment notifications and a real time balance.
• Break down your spending habits with Spending Insights to budget in a better way and understand exactly where your money goes.
• IOU’s are simple and speedy with Settle Up, Split the bill or Nearby Payments. No card readers or sort codes required; just a few taps, a single link and you’re all paid back.
• Save for the things you really want with Goals.
• Make money go further with zero fees from us when you use your card abroad.
• Need a little extra? Adjust your overdraft to suit you with an in-app slider or get a Starling personal loan that’s straightforward to use, competitively priced and totally tailored to you.
• Think you've lost your card? Lock it in-app instantly then unlock it if you find it again.
• Send fast, transparently priced, cheap and secure money transfers to over 38 countries worldwide, straight from your bank account.
• Available for 16 and 17 year olds, too!
THE BUSINESS BANK ACCOUNT.
No fuss, no monthly fees, no three week waits. Apply in minutes to get a smart and straightforward business account that’s designed for sole traders and small businesses.
• With no monthly fees and no setup costs, you can save money while you grow your business.
• Deposit money at over 11,500 Post Office branches nationwide for as little as £3 per deposit.
• Manage your cash-flow with real time notifications whenever money enters or leaves your account (great for keeping track of those invoices!)
• Utilities, travel, entertainment; see exactly where your business spends most with Spending Insights.
• Simplified accounting with easy CSV exports that let you share your transactions with your accountant or accounting software such as Xero and FreeAgent.
• No fees from us when you use your card abroad.
THE JOINT BANK ACCOUNT. (Currently only available for personal account holders)
Manage collective household expenses like bills and rent or save up for something big – however you feel like using it, our joint account is designed to simplify shared spending.
• Instant payment notifications help you stay on top of your mutual spending in real-time.
• See in real-time how much you are spending on bills; Spending Insights help you figure it out fast.
• Pool your rent and bills and make those important payments from a single account.
• Whether it’s a new sofa or Santorini – save for it together with Goals.
• No fees from us when you use your card abroad.
Your money’s secure with us. We’re a member of the FSCS (Financial Services Compensation Scheme) so up to £85,000 is protected if your deposit is eligible.
We’ve also been recommended by Money Saving Expert and featured in TechCrunch, City A.M Wired, Financial Times, Bloomberg, Tech City News and many more.
Starling Bank is registered in England and Wales as Starling Bank Limited (No. 09092149), 3rd floor, 2 Finsbury Avenue, London EC2M 2PP.
We’re authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 730166.
New friends? Lovely. New payees? Not that lovely. So we've given your Pay Someone New flow a little spit and polish to make it easier to speed through those first-timers (which means we've added things like smarter formatting for IBANs and sort codes, among other stuff). Lovely indeed.
Keep forgetting where to set up new scheduled payments? That's on us – it wasn't as clear as it could have been, but it's a lot easier to find now. As you were.
Ratings and Reviews
I read about this app on moneysavingexpert. I’m a bit of a Martin Lewis devotee and if he says it’s good then why not .... I decided to use it in the first instance as a Travel card. I used to put everything on a Halifax Clarity C/C for the best exchange rate then pay it when I came home. No matter how hard I tried there was always a transaction I forgot about or underestimated. With Starling everything is instant (as long as data roaming is switched on). I absolutely love knowing instantly what my breakfast cost me, my lunch and dinner. It means that the £X limit you set yourself each day whilst travelling can be stuck to without the guess work. The exchange rate was very good and much better than I expected it to be. A pleasant surprise. It really does make holiday budgeting simple. It was accepted everywhere I presented it in Rome, even some of the tiny side stores. When I got home I found I had withdrawal symptoms - yes its a bit addictive. So now I use it as a sweep account and transfer the pennies each day from my other main accounts saving them into the Starling budget accounts for my next trips. There is something very satisfying and rewarding about that ‘ding’ sound as money instantly appears in your account seconds after you confirm a payment. Well done Starling. A great, great product. I absolutely love it.
Banking for the modern day
I don’t often review mostly because I’m frequently far too busy. But for this I’ll make an exception. This is the best banking app I have ever used. It’s well-designed, constantly being updated with new features and bug fixes. Many times when I’m wishing there’s a particular feature that would make the something easier, it’ll come out in the next release - like the ability to deposit cash in at the post office. Genius! Not least because when I went to deposit it in my other bank branch, they were closed. Despite it being a weekday before 4pm.
If like me, you often need to do things on the go, and don’t have access to that little card verification thing that most banks give you, that wants things to be simple and to have an awareness of things going in and out of your account (the instant notifications feature is a godsend for anyone self-employed, and saves you constantly having to check if you’ve been paid), I don’t think you can go wrong with the Starling App.
Easy to set-up, easy to use, and customer services was very helpful and prompt Jen I had some problems with my current account switch. Also, they’re open 24/7! Genuinely I can’t recommend it enough. Banking for the modern day, finally.
I tend to like modern things and the latest ideas, so I had to try a new type of bank account. I first used it abroad due to their brilliant exchange rates, and was very impressed by the push notifications when spending, ease of use within the app, round-up saving, and a brilliant breakdown of how I spend my money, to name a few of their exclusive features. Since then I have been using it as my main spending bank account, also opened up a joint account for me and my partner and have loved it. There is still room for improvement, for example I believe you cannot yet create standing orders or own multiple accounts, as I like to transfer my bills to a separate bills account on a monthly basis to make sure they are always covered, and I still have to use Barclays for this. Also, I have heard that an issue with internet-based banks is that if you were to have an issue it can be more difficult to solve due to the lack of a physical branch to sort the problem at. However I am yet to have any issues personally, enjoy using starling as my main bank for my spending, and will likely continue to do so.
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.