TrailTale is a free exploration app offering London walking guided routes and a repository of additional attractions in London and outside it. The guided walks take you through the
most interesting parts of London, and telling you their fascinating stories and rich histories. All
walks are FREE and no in-app purchase is required. Walk and listen to the stories at your leisure and at your pace.
These free London walking routes can be paused at any time, so you can return to the route when you’re ready. TrailTale gives you complete freedom. Each walk has roughly 20 points of interest, and is packed with fun facts, photos, maps, and images. An audio guide accompanies each point of interest, allowing you to listen while exploring.
The starting and finishing points of each walk are within easy reach of London’s central
public transportation, allowing you to continue your day’s plan with ease.
The content of the self-guided walks was developed using local experts, referencing many
historical books, and testimonies. TrailTale is suitable for the whole family, with bonus stops
and trivia at famous filming locations from Harry Potter to Bridget Jones along the way.
Alternatively, why not opening TrailTale to explore those interesting points that are available around you? Filter them to your preferences. These are available if you walk the streets of London, or drive in the countryside. Where ever you see an interesting point, stop and open the page to read its full story, check out the attached photos, maps and where applicable, and listen to the accompanied audio.
- The London self-guided walks are completely free
- All the guided walks are available offline (without maps), no need to pay roaming charges
- The city walks are developed by London experts
- Easy to pause at any time
- Precise turn by turn walking directions, and easy to recognise Landmarks
- Features locations for the whole family
- Accurate entry information for those attractions that have admission fees or are open during specific times
- Filter the ‘explore’ points based on your preferences
Our guided London walks focus on the following themes:
- The palaces, members’ clubs and art galleries of 'St. James’s London'– 22 sights
- South London City Charles Dickens inspiration, Inns and cemetery of 'Bridges to London City' – 28 sights
- The Hidden London City in 'Banks to Liverpool London City' – 11 sights
- The amazing story of the immigration in 'East Meets London City' – 25 sights
- Westminster, Harry Potter, a Tower and Boudicca in 'Governing London' – 23 sights
- The famous Law Quarters, hidden gardens and a curious shop in 'Inns of London' – 25 sights
- The Old Bailey, St. St. Bartholomew’s church and hospital and the Barbican in 'London City of Bars and Barts' – 17 sights
- The Temple church, set of Da Vinci Code, St. bride’s Church in 'London of Law and News' – 24 sights
- Old market, the Great Fire, Harry Potter and Jack The Ripper in 'Towers of London City' – 28 sights
- Friars, Shakespeare, Mayor and a Cat in 'Livery London City' - 20 locations
- Covent Garden, old palaces, the Savoy, a smelly lamp post and West end in 'Stranding London' - 20 locations
- Still the River Thames from The Tower to Westminster in 'Sweat Thamsing London' - 20 locations
- Visit London’s most famous village in Highs of Hampstead - 21 locations
- Visit an old hospital, hanging river and many famous artists in 'Charming Chelsea' - (*Coming soon) – 24 locations
- Upgraded deprecated dependencies.
- UI improvements for iPhone X, XR and XS and iPad Pro.
Ratings and Reviews
Really enjoyable but few UX issues
I have done 3 of the walks now and have enjoyed them all. The only issue is that there are a few bugs. For instance, when you lock your phone (or it locks its self due to inactivity) and you go back to the app, the voiceover is played twice. There's also a few instances where the voiceover will not play. This happened on the first few chapters of the Towers of London City walk.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for your comments. Can you please list the walk you took?
Great app, well researched and highly informative
I've used this app for a few weeks now walking around landmarks in London and I'm really pleased with it, all the tours are very informative and well organised. The audio guide is well researched and well put together. I've discovered a minor glitch though: when the app is minimised while the voice guide is playing (without pausing it beforehand) this causes that all waypoints on the selected walk will play their audios SIMULTANEOUSLY on the return. This happened with all the walks and if left alone, with the volume dialled down to a minimum, there is no further issue as the desired waypoint can be played and listened to on its own after all the others have finished playing. I'm sure that they'll get this minor glitch sorted soon and also add more trails to this already great app.
Looking forward to doing the walks with my family but it says it is free for now,can you tell me when it will start charging and by how much please.
Also ones I have looked at so far doesn't mention if wheelchair accessible or if the walk is ok for wheelchairs,is that something that would be added as important to myself and many others
Developer Response ,
Hi Chris, Thank you for your review. At the moment there are no plans to make the app chargeable. So enjoy taking my walks with your family.
- Rafi Ilivitzky
- 16.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Fast-Track Euro
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.