Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Swift programming language make developing apps easy and fun.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and C/C++/Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, simulators, the latest SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is an intuitive programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• SwiftUI is a revolutionary framework to create user interfaces with a declarative Swift syntax
• Playgrounds are a fun way to experiment and interact with Swift code
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Split editors in virtually unlimited ways, show previews, or choose an assistant to see related content
• Live issues display errors as you type, and Fix-its improve your code with just a click
• Source control navigator and service integrations help you manage code across a team
SwiftUI and Interface Builder make it easy to design your interface
• SwiftUI uses declarative Swift code that clearly describes your interface
• Design canvas graphically builds UI views using the library of controls and modifyers
• Preview SwiftUI code or UIKit interfaces in different screen sizes, orientations, and font sizes
• SwiftUI code is always in perfect sync with the graphical design canvas and previews
• Animations are built using simple commands that describe the action you want to see
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Refactoring makes it easy to modify the structure of Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++ code
• Open Quickly instantly opens any file within your project
• Data tips and Quick Look can inspect a variable by hovering your mouse over code while debugging
Instruments for performance analysis
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and GPU performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Analyze your app directly, or sample the entire system with very little overhead
• Create custom instruments with unique visualizations to analyze your own code and frameworks
To test or run applications on an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Apple Watch all you need is a free Apple ID. To submit your apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Apple Developer Program. Some features may require Internet access.
Xcode 13.1 includes Swift 5.5 and SDKs for iOS 15, iPad OS 15, tvOS 15, watchOS 8, and macOS Monterey.
New in Xcode 13.1
- Support for macOS Monterey
- Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Mostly OK, still a little buggy, updates are way too big
I've been programming for a while, and I've used quite a few of the major IDEs. Xcode is OK, but it has too many bugs and quirks really. Random crashes of the text editor, random blank regions of story boards, random 100% CPU usage from some swift thing or other, random build errors that just go away, random not connecting to an iOS device to run a new build -- those are the problems I see on an almost daily basis.
It's also too big. For a long time, Apple sold laptops with comically small disks. We can't all afford to spend basically every penny we have to get more than 128GB disk space. Anyway, with Xcode and Office installed, I have around 8GB free normally, and that isn't enough to update Xcode -- it seems to need double the size of the app in free disk space to just run an update, and it's a pretty big app... What makes that really, really frustrating is that my iPhone will auto-update, and until I update Xcode I can't run anything because each new iOS version needs an Xcode update..
So there we are, rant over, it's actually an OK IDE for the most part and I do actually enjoy writing software for iOS.
My Xcode is just keep loading what the heck....
There are problems that you guys should look at , Today my Xcode decided just to continuously just load I can't do anything I deleted it and reinstalled it again and the same issue again now I have to download it and install it again I sent a report already, and also when I design my UI something the backgriund image is just disappers and is all blue with a palm three after I click on the viewController or something else I go back to my canvas and then is everything loaded but there are some bits which need fixing for sure, can you guys look into this fast as you can?
High Five Apple
OK I have just started working with Xcode and C++ after working with an alternative very expensive product at work, and I think that Xcode knocks the spots off of the competition. It's really fantastic and I am very pleased that this quality product is produced and supported by Apple. The support site is also a gerat place to find additional rescources and obviously developer support. I have looked down below and feel like I'm a little out of line, its difficult to think of an improvement. Yes, my Macbook Pro has been running a little hotter while: coding, debugging, and assembling, so I am looking into how to mittigate this feature. But the softare it’s self is wonderful and has a silky smooth interface and feel, big high five to the Xcode development team. And please keep the C++ support, for me this is the best bit.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 12.4 GB
- Developer Tools
- Requires macOS 11.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 1999–2021 Apple Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.