Designed by Moog Music, the world’s first synth company, Animoog Z is an inspiring 16-voice polyphonic synthesizer that invites you to explore new concepts of multidimensional sound design and performance.
Powered by Moog’s Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), Animoog Z empowers you to visually traverse new sonic universes and even create your own! ASE utilizes a novel orbit system to expand the concepts of wavetable and vector synthesis, allowing you to navigate dynamically through the X, Y, and Z axes of sound. Spontaneous sound design with Animoog Z is easy—simply select and drag the orbit path to explore endless sonic configurations.
Animoog Z captures the immediate and intuitive experience of Moog synthesizers and applies it to the modern digital paradigm, enabling you to quickly sculpt incredibly fluid sounds that live, breathe, and evolve as you play. Use Animoog Z’s built-in keyboard to control pitch and pressure per voice (or send MIDI out), or connect your favorite MPE controller and explore Animoog Z’s MPE-compliant sound engine.
Animoog’s diverse library of timbres includes digital tones and spectral sources alongside analog waveforms recorded from classic Moog circuits. If you ever run out of sounds, you can use the built-in Timbre Editor to record and edit your own timbres!
Visually captivating and sonically immersive, Animoog Z brings music production to the next level. Whether you are new to synthesis or a professional musician, Animoog’s unique user interface gives you the power to easily create a visually vibrant and sonically rich universe.
• Multiplatform Experience: Share presets, timbres, and in-app purchases across your compatible Apple devices.
• Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE): An exciting Moog technology that allows you to move through the X, Y, and Z axes of unique timbres to create an expressive and constantly evolving soundscape. Sonic modulations are visualized in real time, providing a multisensory feedback mechanism for sound creation.
• Polyphonic Modulation and Pitch Shifting: Control Animoog Z's advanced touch surface keyboard with configurable scales, key distances, pitch correction, and glide. Simply slide your fingers to control multiple per-voice parameters in Animoog Z right from the keys.
• Timbre Editor: Go beyond simple sample playback and build unique sounds that evolve in multi-dimensional space. Select from a wide variety of built-in timbres or customize your sound by recording your own timbres (or import your own WAV files).
• ENV/LFO Page: Articulate your dynamics with 3 independent six-stage DAHDSR envelopes for Amp, Filter, and Mod, each with loop and sync functionality. Give motion to your sound with 3 independent LFOs featuring continuously variable wave shapes, phase offset, delayed start, sync, and support for 1-8 repeats.
• MOD Page: Highly flexible modulation matrix with 10 lanes and a multitude of sources, controllers, and destinations—including global destinations like Delay and Thick. Use the Solo and Enable controls to explore complex modulations layer by layer.
• Effects Page: A collection of dynamic sound-altering and sound-augmenting effects with Delay, Chorus, Bitcrush, Filter, Arpeggiator, and Looper. Oscilloscope-style views display the output and impact of your effects.
• MIDI: Use your favorite MIDI controller to control Animoog Z (with full support for MPE input) or go MIDI out to use Animoog Z's highly expressive keyboard to control your favorite instruments. Go even deeper with Animoog Z's exhaustive MIDI CC mapping system featuring MIDI Learn, multiple destinations for a single CC, and detailed control of which presets are loaded with program change.
• Additional Features: Backwards compatibility with presets and timbres from the original Animoog, AUv3 support, 440Hz base frequency offset (+/- 10Hz), preset tagging, preset sharing, Global BPM, Tap Tempo, Ableton Link, keyboard typing and shortcuts, random presets, and undo/redo.
• Minor UI improvements.
• Improvements to the AUv2/VST3 wrapper.
Ratings and Reviews
Loving it…but purchase did not unlock on all compatible devices
Aloha, After playing with this for a few days I decided to purchase. I used the app store on my 2109 MacBook Pro. When I went to my iPad, I have the limited version. I’ve tried clicking on the “Unlock Full App” that is labeled as “Already Purchased” when I visit the App Store on my ipad, but no go. I’m happy to up this rating to 5 in exchange for some developer support to get this up and running on my ipad (without purchasing again, if possible!) I reached out a few days ago thru the contact form on the website but no word so far. Help, please. Thanks in advance!!
Update: It took a while but the developer got back to me to explain that this was a feature of the App Store. I was, indeed, able to get this unlocked on my iPad and am busy thoroughly enjoying learning the mysteries. Awesome!! Thank you for a sweet rabbit hole to dive down.
Developer Response ,
we apologize for the inconvenient but sadly this is an App Store problem that's we've reported for years to Apple and that has never been fixed. If you're logged in with the same Apple ID on both devices, you can click through even the final confirmation that asks you to confirm the purchase. After that, Apple will determine you already own it and notify you that this purchase was actually free.
Hope this helps,
❤️ your friends at Moog
My Secret Weapon of Choice
Record Producer Joe Solo here. Whenever I need to invent a new sound, which amost all the time, one of my go to creative tools is Anamoog Z.
The presets are amazing, and getting the entire set they offer in the Store menu expands Anamoog 's palette with a diffferent spin on each collection offered - Well worh the price of a few bucks.
Each presets can also be used as a starting point to invent your own new sounds. This is highly valuable, becasue Anamoog Z works and sounds like no other instrument can to begin with.
It uses an proprietery synth engine so you can create sounds and vibes no other device so far can make. Not that you will need to make your own sounds, as the presets are incredible. And take it from me, I am a audio snob. Very few devices are unique in their sonic abilities - this is one, and it's near or on the top of such a list.
I recommend anyone who wants to (endlessly) explore new soundscapes, new ways to control what you're playing, and invent clever ways of combining the two for altering your sounds in ways you didn't know existed, get Anamoog Z right now.
A Good Upgrade
Basically the "Z" model is the same as the original AniMoog. Some features are improved (the mod matrix, for example), while others are essentially the same (some of the effects, the scale programmer, etc.). The workflow is better after shelving the skewmorphic modular synthesizer look and feel of the original, where you had to scroll among "modules" to gain access to them. The Z axis does add some new wave table capabilities. But over all it is not fundamentally different from the original. The price is fair for what it is and the sound quality is very good.
Having said all of that, I have never been a big fan of the sound of the Animoog. It sounds very digital and most of the waves in the catalog sound far too similar. I prefer more analog sound qualities to the sterile sound of digital waves. But for those pieces when you want that digital sound, the AniMoog really excels. Very complex wave-shifting is easy and sounds more alive than standard, static waves.
Importing waves and preset from AniMoog is easy breezy.
I really miss the 4-track recorder, though. Perhaps Moog can bring that back in a future update.
So while Animoog Z is not a major new product or even a giant improvement over the previous Animoog, I am still happy I bought it. Its really fun to just experiment with. Its easily worth the price.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Moog Music Inc.
- 29.9 MB
- Requires iOS 14.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.2 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Moog Music Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Celestial Dynamics $0.00
- Unlock Full App $29.99
- Fundamental Elements $4.99
- Evolving Oscillations $4.99
- Monster Moog 1 $4.99
- Outer Orbits $4.99
- Monster Moog 2 $4.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.