Sight reading skills will give you access to written music and get you familiar with any style of music. Sight reading is not difficult and with enough practice everybody can develop it.
This app helps you to instantly find the notes on every part of the fretboard with a special focus on position playing.
With improved sight reading skills you will find it easier to concentrate on other aspects of music such as harmony, rhythm etc.
PRACTICE & TEST MODE
- 4 different modes of use:
1. Locate note on fretboard based on note in staff.
2. Locate note on fretboard based on note name and pitch.
3. Find name of note on the staff (without fretboard)
4. Find name of note presented on fretboard.
- Automatic detection of problem notes.
KEY SIGNATURES & SCALES
- Key signature support, 1-6 sharps or 1-6 flats.
- Automatic choice of the enharmonic notes for each scale to avoid double sharps or double flats in the key signature.
- Scales: major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor, blues, pentatonic, and all modal scales.
FRETS, STRINGS & NOTE SELECTION
- Support for 4, 5 and 6 string bass guitar.
- Frets are grouped to restrict the number of notes to be practiced and tested.
- Predefined fret groups, e.g.: 0-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 0-12, 13-17 etc.
- Any custom fret group can be defined.
- The fret group is highlighted as an area on the fretboard.
- Progress of your sight reading skills is maintained per fret group.
- The longest streak record per fret group is saved as a measure for sight reading accuracy.
- Any subset of strings can be part of the highlighted area.
- Notes to be tested can be restricted to only naturals or only notes from a selected scale.
- Reading ahead is an important skill for good sight reading.
- Number of read ahead notes can be varied.
- Several alternate tunings for 4, 5 and 6 strings bass guitar.
- Support for left handed bass guitar.
- Option to have the fretboard shown in perspective (in landscape mode).
- Universal app (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch).
- Support for all screen sizes.
- No ads / in-app purchases.
- iOS 14 tested. Dark mode support.
- Some textual adjustments.
- iOS 14 tested.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Bass Fretboard Tutor
Great tool for learning the bass fretboard and sight reading the bass clef onto it. (And learning the bass clef if you don't already know it.)
Covers 4, 5 and 6-string bass in standard tuning and several popular alternate tunings, but doesn't allow custom tunings. Includes scale study in any key, including modes, but only the more common scales and doesn't allow arbitrary scale creation.
It could be greatly improved by letting you set the test length and automatically showing your stats at the end of the test.
Great for learning the fretboard and sight reading, but not a comprehensive music learning tool. For that try something like Music Theory Pro (which does NOT include fretboards; only keyboard).
I actually use the app regularly
I’m using this app now to learn the first 5 frets one string at a time. Illuminates small sections of the bass clef.
Best iPhone trainer out there
This app is great for advanced or beginners. It's the perfect app to fill 30sec while waiting because it makes you a better player.
I first used it because I was primarily a 4 string bass player and wanted to learn the 5 string. It allowed me to learn the fifth string incredibly fast and the knowledge surprisingly transferred to an actual 5 string bass very easily.
For those more advanced I advise putting the timing to fastest speed and using the app. It's great for learning areas of the bass that you are weak at, even if you don't touch the exact note every time it still trains your brain where all the different note options are which is the whole point anyway.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rolf Steenge
- 17.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © none
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.