Bellerophon transforms your mild-mannered iPhone or iPad into a bastion of scholarship. Browse a compendious library comprising thousands of texts ranging from Homer to Ammianus Marcellinus to Beowulf and spanning millennia, compare multiple works side-by-side, add your own notes and bookmarks for quick reference, view morphological analyses for Greek and Latin texts, and more!
Bellerophon includes the following features:
* Over 3,500 texts in 10 languages included, with no internet access needed!
* Includes texts ranging from canonical classical works to lesser-known authors like Quintus Smyrnaeus and Anna Komnena, to works outside the traditional sphere of classics such as Beowulf, ancient Jewish and biblical texts, and much more! Most texts are in the original language, but the collection also includes over 900 translations into English, as well as some surprising versions of familiar works (such as Aristotle's Poetics in Arabic).
* For Greek and Latin, you can request morphological analyses from the Perseus Digital Library by double-tapping on a word (note that this does require an internet connection).
* Quickly navigate any text via a hierarchical table of contents, add your own bookmarks for even faster reference to specific sections, or just jump straight to a particular passage by entering it in citation form.
* Search the full text of any document, matching on a specific word or substring, and page through results.
* Open multiple windows side-by-side in the same session: you can compare the different passages of the same text, view the original alongside a translation, or juxtapose entirely separate texts.
* Add your own notes to record new vocabulary or whatever else you like. Additionally, many texts include the contents of footnotes originally present in the printed editions, ranging from apparatus criticus entries to helpful background information.
Ratings and Reviews
Incredible! The wished for app
I am so grateful to the developer of this app. It is incredibly powerful and well designed for the reading of Latin and Greek. I look forward to using it to dive back into texts I have long avoided, newly confident that this app is going to ease the process of mastering them very significantly. Thank you thank you
Adrian has created yet another beautiful, functional, amazingly free app. I can’t believe how many texts are included and how much you can do with this 1.0 release. Just download it and start playing around! Also check out Protagoras for lexica.
This app is exactly what I wanted, and then some. I don’t understand how it’s free. I’m going to have to figure out how to donate. The split screen being about to get through texts in Latin/Greek and English simultaneously is awesome.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Adrian Packel
- 503.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Adrian Packel
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.