Use Bookshelf to download and access VitalSource textbooks on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Read your books online or offline and create notes and highlights to help you study.
• Download books to your iOS device for easy online or offline reading.
• Simple, user-friendly navigation and a clean reading experience.
• Search inside your book for a term or phrase.
• Select text to create notes or highlights from your mobile device.
• Review flashcards to quiz yourself on key concepts.
• Tap to open figures, view captions, and pinch-to-zoom.
• Use text-to-speech to listen to your textbooks read aloud.
• Sync your bookmarks, current reading position, and all of your notes and highlights between your iOS device, desktop, and online Bookshelf apps.
• VitalSource Bookshelf account
• Access to one or more VitalSource textbooks.
• iOS 11+
Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
The reading app is excellent. Layout is made with an effort to mirror the actual book as much as possible. Appreciate the fact that there is more that one color highlight, although there could be more than just two colors. Second thing that could be better is the frame for viewing tables. I would appreciate being able to zoom in and out with a finger pinch. And lastly, the « narrator» needs to sound much more like an actual human reading. As for now it is like a robot reading sequences of sentences. Nonetheless, scrolling down the text is easy and there is no hopping from page to page; it is rather a continuous thread when it comes to any particular chapter. And by only sliding left or right you are already in the next chapter. This keeps different chapters closer, and saves time.
If improvement is made to based on the preceding fallouts, I think this is can become the leader in reading apps (I have already tried both Inkling and kindle).
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review. We appreciate your positivity and find it rewarding to know that you're enjoying Bookshelf!
Just use the website
The main benefit of this app is that it is more mobile than the website. However, this app is buggy and is missing some basic features that completely remove the mobile advantage. They force you to frequently type your email and password just to use the app (there is no way to stay logged in), and the “read aloud” function is terrible. The low quality of the voice on my device is understandable because they use your device’s built-in speech engine, but they don’t set up their books to be read correctly by speech engines. Many words on the page are broken into their individual letters, resulting in words being spelled out one letter at a time. All footnotes are announced for every page, so I hope you enjoy having your book interrupted about once a minute to hear about all the legal restrictions on how you can use the book. On top of that, some of the text is skipped and other text that wasn’t even there before is added in. Divisions between chapters are not clearly marked, leaving you confused about the context.
Why would I ever decide to use this app when I can use the larger screen of one of many public computers that are increasingly available to everyone, or my laptop which is easy to bring anywhere?
Misses the Mark
The pharmacology book I bought is in ePub format, so I don’t see why I couldn’t just download it on iBooks to begin with. I would assume they’re pretty good about not allowing users to share books. I can’t think of another reason you’d force users into a proprietary app that is free. Reading the reviews, it looks as though the developers do update this app because I saw an option for night mode which someone had wanted. Here’s what I’d like:
1. Better highlighting, especially with Apple Pencil. This hold and drag business is ridiculous
2. Changed chapter/page format. Each chapter being a page, I can see where that would sound convenient in a meeting but if your chapter is 30+ pages long it’s rather inconvenient to keep scrolling.
That’s all so far. Thanks!
Oh last thing-people are on here rating 5 stars because you can read the book offline with the app-you bought this book. You should be able to view it anywhere, just as you would a physical book. That’s not an amazing feature, that’s basic ebooks. I hope my concerns are addressed but either way I appreciate fewer natural resources being used to make a textbook that I have to have anyway.
- Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
- 186.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 VitalSource Technologies Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.