Boondocking usually refers to free camping in remote areas. This app shows over 700 boondocking locations throughout the US from www.boondocking.org.
- Shows distance from your current location to the boondocking location.
- View multiple map types such as Open Street Map.
- Get info about each boondocking location.
- Mark locations as Favorite locations.
- Get the local weather for the location.
- Send location data directly to our Road Trip Planner app.
- Cache non-Apple maps for offline use.
- Elevation filter allows you to select only those locations that fall into an elevation range. Select high elevation locations in the summer and low elevation locations in the winter.
More info presented after tapping on a map icon.
Other app enhancements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Useful campsite finder
It appears the greatest challenge for developers of apps such as these is gathering data and keeping it fresh.
This app appears to have one of the more limited data sets but it’s one the most up to date.
Needs more users to report Boondocking spots
The app has potential for being pretty good. But it’s not an app where the developers go and find spots for the app. It’s an user based app, meaning people have to report of a camping spot, either it be a campground (Not really what the app is designed for), free camping areas (getting a little closer to intent of app), but more importantly boondocking areas. It’s a scattering of users free camping/boondocking spots, just doesn’t have a lot of them. If you find a spot on this app and you camp there based on someone else’s work finding it and posting it, pay it forward and post a spot of your own on the app for others to be able to use to. That’s the only way it can get better. I can find numerous campground apps all day long. In the middle of nowhere free camping spot apps.... not so much.
It seems easy enough to use. As a new wannabe boondocker, I appreciate all the work that has been put into this app and those too who have contributed their information which is so helpful for newbies as well as those looking for a new place to explore.
I have been doing research for my first roadtrip and this has already helped.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.