Making amazing and healthy bread is both an art and a science. Bread Boss takes care of the science, freeing your creative spirit and allowing you to spend your time doing what people do best: art! If you want more than a recipe book then Bread Boss is the tool for you. You can build novel recipes from working examples. You can convert your existing recipes and turn them into baker’s formulas (with percentages), allowing you to scale up or down your bread volume to suit your needs at any given time – no more calculations necessary – that’s Bread Boss’ job.
New to bread making? Don’t worry as Bread Boss comes with a set of supplied recipes developed by a master baker. Your home oven could be baking one of our delicious sourdough breads, a Rustic White, Stoneground, Walnut and Cranberry (we call it Walberry), Spelt, Quinoa and Mixed Seed, Hungarian Light Rye, Dark Rye, Olive and Thyme and many more. New recipes are regularly being added to the list.
Bread Boss creates alarms or notifications to remind you when each important task needs to be done, so you don’t need to worry or keep track of time. You can easily shift the alarms forward and back to align with your personal schedule. Once you’ve perfected your recipe, you can photograph the result to save with the recipe and share it with your fellow Bread Bosses.
Bread Boss is the synthesis and culmination of experience in baking and software engineering. Two brothers from different fields working together to create an app that removes the guess work and tedium of traditional bread making, so that you the Bread Boss can express your creative passions for healthy, tasty and beautiful bread.
Bread Boss is the indispensable tool for Bakers, Chefs, Baking Students, and Artisan Bread Makers.
Quick Overview of Features
* Supplied list of recipes
* New recipes added regularly
* Full and detailed help at http://www.sourdoughbreadrecipe.com.au/bread-boss-ios-help/
* Simple scaling of volume and units or by total flour available
* Automatic generation of increase starter stage
* Each recipe can have variations
* Recipes can be defined in bakers percentages
* Recipes can be converted from weights using the weights input method
* Recipes are defined in terms of stages, each stage can have fermentation or process times to influence alarms
* Production stages can be defined to group ingredients and specify how and when they are combined into the recipe
* Recipes have reminder alarms to prompt you to perform the next task in the process
* Alarms can be adjusted forward or back as a whole to easily shift schedules
* Different recipes can have different alarm ringtones
* Multiple photos can be saved with a recipe
* Recipes can be shared with other Bread Boss users
* Refresh starter calculator
* Screen lock while viewing recipe
* Notes and URL links can be set with recipe stages
* Community of like minded Bread Bosses where you can ask advice, offer suggestions or show off your talents.
* Support website where you can get information and help with all things sourdough bread, baking and Bread Boss related.
Visit us at: http://sourdoughbreadrecipe.com.au
or G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104678082173842999474
or FB: https://www.facebook.com/sourdoughbreadrecipe
Join our facebook Bread Boss community/group to share recipes and experience with other Bread Bosses:
Oh, and by the way, it's Ad free.
Ratings and Reviews
Not Consistent With BBGA Baker’s Percentage Standards
It is not clear how the app’s author is calculating the percentages shown in the various bread formulas. After trying to make sense of the percentages shown in various formulas, what did become really clear is that the percentages in the formulas are NOT consistent with the standards for baker’s percentages by the Bread Baker’s Guild of America (BBGA). Perhaps they have a different system down under?? If you are looking for an app to create and save bread formulas according to BBGA standards, look elsewhere.
Developer Response ,
If you have trouble with any aspect of Bread Boss or just need help with your baking in general then you can always get excellent support via our website's Ask a question at: https://www.sourdoughbreadrecipe.com.au/ask-a-question/ or you can use the feedback tab in the app and send us an email.
Bread Boss uses the same calculations as BBGA does. The only difference is BBGA requires formulas as excel spreadsheets, whereas Bread Boss presents the formula for iPhone/iPad use while making your bread. BBGA has the stages presented horizontally, which is ok for a spreadsheet on a desktop computer, but for iPhones and iPads a vertical presentation is more intuitive and easier to manipulate.
Bread Boss presents the same information in a way that is designed to be used while actually making the recipe: the overall formula settings first, the resulting total flour controls all the subsequent calculations; next is the first stage that is required to be made, then the next to be made after that, etc., till you get to the final dough; and then after that you can also have additional production stages if required.
The ingredients are presented in an order applicable for making the recipe: proceeding stages first, flours and seeds, other ingredients and lastly water ingredients. This is better for weighing out the ingredients: dry ingredients first and lastly wet ingredients.
In edit mode the formula is presented in the most logical way for constructing a formula: base formula first (same as BBGA) then following stages. Again, Bread Boss stages are presented vertically, rather than horizontally.
Below each stage that is made are notes that can be revealed. These are used to remind you how to make the stage and any other pertinent information for the recipe.
The fermentation times and other settings are used to generate notifications for reminders: when you need to do each activity, as timing affects fermentation greatly.
You can view the BBGA newsletter describing their layout if you wish to compare: https://www.bbga.org/files/2009FormulaFormattingSINGLES.pdf
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.