Brushes 4 is the latest iteration of the app that started the iPhone and iPad painting revolution. Redesigned with a clean and modern user interface, Brushes supports iPhone and iPad with optimisation for the iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone Pro and iPad with Apple Pencil.
- Clean and modern user interface with light and dark modes.
- Files based painting gallery.
- New canvas interface.
- Apple Pencil support with pressure curve.
– Unlimited undo and redo.
- Continuous auto-save.
- Cloud Drive import and export.
• Parameterized Brushes:
- Selection of ready to use brushes with customisable settings.
- Create your own custom brushes from millions of permutations.
- Generate random brushes for inspiration.
- Dynamic adjustment of brush size and opacity.
- Layer your artwork for greater control.
– Lock and hide layers.
– Use alpha lock to only paint where pixels already exist.
– Adjust individual layer opacity.
– Duplicate, rearrange and merge layers.
– Apply layer blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude.
- Color fill any layer.
– Invert layer color and desaturate.
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers.
– Adjust the color balance per layer.
– Adjust layer hue, saturation and brightness.
- Colour picker with hue ring and saturation square.
- Store and recall your favourite colors in swatches.
- Sample painting colors with the eyedropper tool.
• Apple Pencil:
- Intuitive and powerful pressure curve to match your style.
- Configurable realtime pressure based adjustment of brush size and opacity.
- Preset canvas sizes for paper, photographs, iPhone and iPad screens, film and television displays.
- Custom canvas size.
• Import, export and sharing:
- Import images directly from your camera roll.
- Import PNG and JPEG images from cloud services.
- Export your paintings for sharing or importing into other apps as PNG and JPEG to all cloud storage services or as photos directly to your camera roll.
- Compatible with paintings created by Brushes 3 and Brushes Redux.
• Light and dark appearances:
- Choose between light and dark monochrome appearances, or current system setting.
- Minimal use of user interface color so that tints in the user interface do not distract from or influence your artwork color choices.
Thank you to Angela Ali, Jason M., Jeff Parker, Sandra Perez and Yoshiyuki Uchida for contributing artwork to the App Store screenshots. Please visit our website to see more of their artwork and for links to their portfolios.
Brushes was originally created by Steve Sprang for iPhone in 2009 and for iPad in 2010. His last version, Brushes 3 was released in 2012, but was removed from the App Store in 2015. I took over development to modernise and support an app that has continued to be enjoyed by so many artists.
Files-based Document Browser.
The Brushes gallery in now based on the Files app, bringing a familiar document management interface and rich functionality.
- Directly create and open paintings in iCloud Drive or your local device.
- Search your paintings.
- Sort your paintings.
- Create folders.
- Display the gallery as thumbnails or list view.
- View by recents or browse.
Where are my existing paintings?
Your existing paintings are stored on your iPhone or iPad where they were created. You can find them by going to Locations and choosing 'On My iPhone/iPad' then tapping on the Brushes folder. If you would like to store these in iCloud Drive from now on; tap 'Select', tap 'Select All', then tap 'Move' and choose the new location, preferably in the Brushes folder in iCloud Drive. Choosing 'Move' only moves files when the source and destination are on the same device or cloud service. So this will actually copy your paintings, not move them. You may want to delete them from your device once you have confirmed they are all safe on iCloud Drive.
Where are my new paintings?
Your new paintings will be stored in iCloud Drive and automatically synced. You can find where by going to Locations and choosing 'iCloud Drive' then tapping on the Brushes folder.
If you would like to continue to store your paintings locally on your device; open the Settings app, tap on Brushes in the list of apps on the left, tap on 'Document Storage' and choose 'On my iPhone/iPad'.
Please note that only iCloud Drive supports package directories that Brushes uses for painting storage. Paintings cannot be created or edited on third-party storage providers such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. Please use either iCloud Drive or local storage on your iPhone or iPad.
If you have any problems or questions about this release, please email us from within Brushes or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great for making iPad paintings, but quits and often closes unexpectedly without saving your work
Developer Response ,
Hi, I’m very sorry to hear about the crashes. Please get in touch using the feedback option in the app and we can look into it further.
This program is perfect for the creative artist. The real brush effects are amazing. Colors work with each other and when over layed creat blended colors the same as real water color. In painting this is called glazing and I never thought I would find it in computer program.
However, I have to say the USER INTERFACE could be a tad more clear. Especially bothersome is the circular lines icon that shows up unexpectedly in the lower right corner. It seems to assume control but does nothing and won’t go away. This needs to be re thought.
Developer Response ,
Hi, I’m glad to hear you enjoy the painting experience in Brushes. It sounds that you might be accidentally activating the color dropper. To stop that happening, please try turning off the ‘Touch color dropper’ in the settings. If you have any questions, please get in touch by email so I can help further.
Simple black lines impossible
How do I get a simple BLACK line? All I seem to get is grey and it is driving me nuts? I’ve used Brushes for years yet in the new versions I can’t manage to find a BLACK line - for my graphics BLACK is critical and I am stumped as to why I cannot creat one - regardless of brush or opacity they all come out grey and I’m really frustrated.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.