The CharmPass app lets you purchase and use fares instantly on your phone—anywhere, anytime. Just download the free app, register your debit/credit card or PayPal account in our secure system, and you're ready to go.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS APP:
• No paper fares to track.
• Purchase BaltimoreLink Local Service, MARC Train, and Commuter Bus tickets all from one app.
• No need to carry cash, count exact change, or find a ticket machine.
• Buy and use fares instantly using a debit/credit card or your PayPal account.
• Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. CHOOSE SERVICE
2. CHOOSE FARE
3. SELECT TICKET TYPE
4. CHOOSE QUANTITY
5. CHECK OUT
Q: Do I need to be connected to the Internet?
A: Cellular network or a wireless Internet connection is required to purchase tickets, but you can activate your pre-purchased tickets offline.
Q: What if my battery dies?
A: Just like with paper tickets, you're responsible for making sure you have a valid fare at all times, so be sure to plan ahead!
• Don't uninstall the CharmPass app or erase your phone while you have active tickets on it. Your tickets are stored on your phone (which makes it possible to use them without a cellular network or a wireless Internet connection), so uninstalling the app can permanently erase your tickets!
• Purchase your ticket anytime and activate your fare as you’re boarding.
• Show your ticket to the operator of the vehicle.
• Watch your battery level! Just like with paper tickets, you're responsible for making sure you have a valid fare at all times.
Various bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Finally ! E-Ticketing for MTA
When I first purchase the app, I made my profile & add my mode of payment. It was easy to purchase tickets as you have to select your mode of transportation from the drop down menu. However, I didn’t know that purchasing the tickets are different from activating the tickets. When you buy the tickets, there an expiration date. But, when you click on the ticket it is activated. This means that if the train conductor do not check your activation than the ticket you purchase is wasted.
If the developer...
- adds the ability to see purchase history when buying more than one ticket (example: if I want to buy again the same two outbound and inbound tickets as before, I can choose my outbound ticket from Purchase History; but after tapping “Add Another Ticket”, there isn’t an option to return to the Purchase History screen and select my inbound ticket — I have to create it from scratch).
- makes the app work offline in case cellular data service is bad in a crowded train station
- sends alerts about delays and changes based on the tickets I have active (although this feature would conflict with the offline request above)
- component to add tickets to Apple Watch (more of a nice-to-have bonus, but it’d be slick)
... then I’d probably give this app five stars instead of three. It really is pretty easy to use, and how it integrates Apple Pay is a no-brainer.
Perhaps the only other missing feature is a way to find stations by location, like on a map. But I can find them in Apple Maps, and if I’m already at a station, I’d obviously know where it is and what name it has. So scratch my idea of adding complexity by integrating a map.
Love that I can buy my ticket on the train
I’m really glad that there’s finally an easy way to get tickets or passes for transit in Maryland without having cash or a loaded CharmCard. When I’m trying to catch a MARC train at the last minute I don’t have to stop for a ticket and maybe miss the train. Same thing for when a Light Rail train shows up just when I do. Or, if I have my CharmCard and my child doesn’t I use the CharmPass to buy their ticket.
My only frustration is that I once bought a ticket mistakenly for a route I’ll never take but there’s no way to refund the ticket, even though it’s still unused in my phone.
But overall it’s a great app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Maryland Transit Administration
- 32.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Maryland Transit Administration
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.