Discover Device Potential
deviceOwl is an AI point-and-shoot hardware device checker that helps you identify the make and model of devices, and reveal their privacy implications.
Covert spy devices are cameras and microphones that are either miniaturized, or disguised as other trusted household objects. They have serious implications, because they can be well disguised, highly reliable, and are widely available for purchase.
Household smart devices can enhance the convenience and peace of mind we have at home, but sometimes at a cost of privacy and security.
With an eye towards privacy, deviceOwl helps you quickly identify these devices, providing both simple, and in-depth details about their capabilities.
Simply point your smartphone at a device, and let deviceOwl intelligently check it, based on its knowledge of thousands of devices. If a device is recognized, deviceOwl provides details about the device's capabilities, helping you to make the right decisions about how to protect your privacy, and the privacy of the people you care about.
- Basic Edition helps identify popular consumer household smart devices.
- Advanced Edition helps identify covert consumer spy devices, and provides in-depth device capabilities with a focus on privacy.
- Regular device knowledge updates keep deviceOwl aware of new devices.
- Heads up display and interactive guidance to make it easier to check devices.
- Designed for traveling. Once installed and updated, check devices without a cloud or network connection.
IMPORTANT NOTES & LIMITATIONS
- Checks visible devices that are roughly up to the size of a shoebox.
- Please follow the guidance provided on safely and correctly checking devices.
- Some devices may look similar to each other, especially under different lighting conditions, and from different angles. Please confirm all device detections using the reported make and model.
- DeviceOwl is not a network device scanner, or camera lens reflection checker. Instead, it uses AI to visually recognize devices by their shape and form.
- Does not identify individual components of dismantled devices, such as their circuit boards and other components.
- Does not identify certain device types whose surface is dominated by an LCD screen, including TV's, tablets, and smartphones. Refer to the device type selection screen for the most current list of supported device types.
- Due to the volume of sample submissions, Entropic Labs responses to device sample submissions may be limited.
deviceOwl “Basic Edition”
- Check popular consumer household smart devices using AI computer vision.
- Reveal basic information, and in-depth device capabilities with a focus on privacy.
deviceOwl “Advanced Edition” (Subscription)
- Boosts deviceOwl with knowledge of covert consumer spy devices.
- Reveal important privacy and safety considerations for select devices.
- Cognition Boost feature helps to help identify partially damaged or marked devices.
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
- Subscription renews automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
- Manage your subscriptions, and turn off automatic renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.
This update includes:
- Better Vision - Enhancements to basic AI visual detection capabilities
- Device Type Sensing - Helps you select the correct device type, based on the observed features of the device
- Related Device Sensing - If a device can't be identified, you can now view any available details of related devices (Advanced Edition)
- Speech - Announces details of any detected devices using a number of different configurable accents
- Expert Mode Enhancements - Enhancements to expert mode features (Advanced Edition)
Ratings and Reviews
Good app it just wants to talk you out of more money too quickly
Frequency of ads are too harassing
Cannot identify common household objects
It is nice to see an app that allows you to check to see if it functions without asking for a credit card *first* which gets the app a couple of stars right there. So far, I have checked two items. The first, a standard ceiling light, seen in every residence in the Western Hemisphere, cannot be identified by this app. I cannot recall if I had these in Hong Kong-thought I did which really begs the question, if they are truly ubiquitous, why does this app not id them? Also it doesn’t id a stereo, just boom boxes. Stereos are arguably more common. The app doesn’t have a category for either of these on its list. If I find something it does identify, I will change the rating.
Great idea but needs a larger database. I have only come across a couple items that the a.I. Has recognized. One being a clock that ended up having no surveillance device inside, but I feel if the database keeps being expanded this could be a very handy app. So please keep on expanding and make this app great if easily give 5 stars if it recognized more!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Entropic, LLC
- 70.7 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2016-2024, Entropic LLC. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Annual Advanced Subscription $9.99