Download the number one free dictionary app with English language learning tools built for every level of learner.
With more than 2 million trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com English dictionary and thesaurus app for iPhone is optimized with your mobile device in mind to help you learn English or improve your English vocabulary. It even works offline!
Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions and synonyms whenever and wherever you need them — no bulky books necessary.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this education app includes:
- Word Puzzle – Can you score a perfect 10? Unscramble the letters, and find the words!
- Word of the Day – Learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary education
- Synonyms — Get thesaurus content alongside your dictionary definitions
- Audio pronunciations – Never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – Find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Wordplay — Improve your vocabulary with fun quizzes
- Grammar help - Get grammar tips, word usage, and more
- Favorite words and search history - Customize your recently searched word list, and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English spelling help - Not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you.
- Learner’s dictionary - Includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
Calling all word lovers, we have updates!
Empty the dustbin, because we’ve swept out all the bugs!
Let our spelling quizzes help you take home the trophy for your own spelling bee (the only bug we like to see around here).
Bonus: Take a scroll stroll through the Words of the Day whenever you want a little language refresher.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Dictionary of the day is awesome!
Dictionary of the day is an effective and fun way to easily increase your vocabulary or remind you of words that might have slipped your mind over the years or for that moment when you are distracted and do not want to wake up slapping your forehead at 3AM. Also, one of the biggest benefits is that I am usually able to sneak in at least 3-5 other new/remembered words after reading the daily one. This is why I initially got the app. However, after now using this Dictionary app every day over the course of years; I have found it to be helpful, efficient, easy to use and can be fun and diverting. The reasonable price is the cost of an high calorie, high cholesterol, fattening and unhealthy CappaFrappaAnywayYouLikeItCino and once you enjoy that drink it will be gone forever. But this wonderful Dictionary/Thesaurus with all of it’s content will be with you forever. Considering other options that I have personally used; such as MW, et. al., I most highly recommend this app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your great review! We really appreciate your kind words!
It means so much to us that our app serves you well. If you ever experience any issues with our app, please reach out to our support team for help! We are here for you!
Likes and Dislikes
Great App! I love the layout, it’s quick and easy. Lots of options including word of the day, favorite searches, and a premium package. I only have a couple cons, I do wish the app had a “recent search” options which ties into my second con. Sometimes when you exit the app momentarily, when you open it up you’re back on the main page. If there was a recent search option or a way for it to not time out so quickly it would make it a bit easier. I personally use this for school and my business. So when I’m looking for a word I use the Thesaurus frequently. It’s very nice you can click on the word options and view their definitions. But if you exit the app and it’s gone. Can be hard to find that trail again.
Developer Response ,
We are glad to hear you are enjoying the app, and appreciate your sharing your suggestions. We'll be sure to share these with our team, as we continue to make improvements in our features. Thanks for using our app!
Where did all these forced ads come from???
1) The ads are overkill to say the least. This used to be. 5 star app- I never had to deal with all these stupid pop-ups and inescapable video ads. You’re lucky Siri’s integrated thesaurus is so limited or else I would’ve deleted this app a long time ago.
2)Personally this has become a more recently growing issue. I’ll search thesaurus for word, “x”, with 0 results, no synonyms available. However, if I search for something synonymous with “x”, such as “n”, a whole list of synonyms pop up, including “x”!! ugh 🤷🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️
Other times when I’m looking through a given list of synonyms , I’ve clicked on a word for its definition, but there is no definition available bc the dictionary doesn't even recognize this word exists. . Vise versa after looking up a definition , I’ll try to use thesaurus on it , but it comes up no synonyms available.
And trust me both problems are equally frustrating. Seriously, how can you know the synonymy of a word on one side of your app, but can’t deliver its friggin definition on the other side. Stupid.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 31.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences $2.99
- Encyclopedia $2.99
- Medical Dictionary $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.