Master your Spanish conjugation with Ella Verbs! Work your way through 38 levels of bite-sized lessons & quizzes, learning 16 tenses and covering over 2,000 verbs.
Hola! We are an Irish couple (Jane and Brian) living in Spain and learning Spanish. We started Ella Verbs as we were looking for a way to improve our Spanish verbs and make the jump from intermediate to advanced speakers. We tried many ways to improve our Spanish grammar (books, apps, tutors – you name it, we tried it!), but never found the one that clicked. So we built it!
We aren’t your typical Spanish flashcards or verb trainer app. Our philosophy is “learn, quiz, repeat”. We teach you, then quiz you and then surface content again when you need it most. It’s been proven that quizzing helps with concentration, identifying gaps in knowledge and long term retention (Roediger & Karpicke, 2006). You’ll enjoy our personalised Smart Quizzes to help you improve your Spanish conjugation faster!
Because it's just the two of us, we personally read and respond to every feedback email and review. So if you have an idea, issue, question or whatever, please get in touch! We really want and listen to your feedback, and regularly release new features and improve existing ones (to date we've released 30+ updates per year!). Together we want to help everyone learning Spanish to master their verbs :)
You can reach us in-app, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Looking forward to hearing from you!
- 30 levels (6 for free) with bite-sized lessons and quizzes guiding you through 16 tenses.
- 8 milestones (2 for free) testing your verbs in-context knowledge through sentences.
- Verb conjugation tables for 2,000+ verbs (101 for free), with full English translation, synonyms and highlighting of irregulars. You can even search by conjugation!
- Track your progress across multiple devices and stay motivated with a daily streak.
- Step-by-step conjugation guide when you get a conjugation incorrect.
- Learn verbs in context with our sentences option. Great for learning when to use the subjunctive or the indicative, or the preterite or the imperfect.
- Estimates your CEFR level (e.g. A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) so you have an idea of where you stand.
- Get daily smart quizzes personalized to your level and progress (Pro only).
- Speaks the answers aloud to help you with pronunciation (uses built in voice library)
- Build your own quizzes with our highly customizable quiz builder.
- Build your own custom list of verbs to study (Pro only).
- Access all content offline so you can study anywhere!
- Supports both European (including "vosotros") and Latin American Spanish.
- Full lessons for reflexive verbs and ser vs estar.
- Dark mode and many configuration options.
- Speaking and listening comprehension quizzes.
We cover 16 Spanish verb tenses across 3 moods:
- Indicative present (El Presente)
- Indicative present continuous (El Presente Progresivo)
- Indicative present perfect (El Futuro Próximo)
- Indicative preterite (El Pretérito Perfecto)
- Indicative imperfect (El Pretérito Indefinido)
- Indicative past perfect (El Pretérito Imperfecto)
- Indicative informal future (El Pretérito Pluscuamperfecto)
- Indicative future (El Futuro Simple)
- Indicative future perfect (El Futuro Perfecto)
- Indicative conditional (El Condicional Simple)
- Indicative conditional perfect (El Condicional Perfecto)
- Subjunctive present (El Presente de Subjuntivo)
- Subjunctive imperfect (El Imperfecto Subjuntivo)
- Subjunctive present perfect (El Pretérito Perfecto de Subjuntivo)
- Subjunctive past perfect (El Pretérito Pluscuamperfecto de Subjuntivo)
- Imperative (affirmative & negative) (El Imperativo – afirmativo y negativo)
This is a fast follow to the last update which includes some bug fixes (especially where the custom quiz and other quizzes wouldn't open for some of you – sorry), and some small UI improvements. We've also added 5 new verbs as requested.
We hope Ella is helping you with your Spanish, and wish you the best with it.
- Jane & Brian
Ratings and Reviews
I didn’t realize how much I would like this app when I started the free trial. It is evident a lot of thought and effort has gone into making it an excellent learning tool. There is some teaching of verb conjugation, but what I find most useful are the quizzes. Right now I am practicing using the quiz which presents example sentences with a verb missing (but you can see the infinitive) and you need to choose whether to use the preterite or imperfect past tense, and to write it out with correct accent marks. After you choose, the correct verb is spoken and written. Another favorite right now is choosing when to use ser and estar. The default settings use 100 common verbs, but apparently you can change those settings to over 1000 verbs. I haven’t used all the verb conjugation forms yet, but a quick perusal made me think they have them all. Highly satisfied, and hoping they will offer an affordable lifetime purchase option for this app. Well worth your time to accept the free offer and try it out!
Developer Response ,
Wow, we are so happy to read your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to give such detail on how you are using and enjoying Ella Verbs! We really appreciate it :) I hope it's helping you to reach your goals! All the best, Jane & Brian :)
The Best Spanish-learning App
I’ve been frustrated in the past with programs like Rosetta Stone and Duolingo because you end up answering the same questions over and over—well past the point at which you’ve absorbed the information and are ready to move on.
Ella Verbs is much more customizable—you can jump around, bypassing levels if you feel you’ve learned enough and going back to review or refresh your skills as needed. This is especially helpful if, like me, you know Spanish pretty well but have learned in a scattershot way over the years, leaving gaps in your knowledge: Ella Verbs lets you target the areas where you need improvement, from relatively simple elements like direct object pronouns to the complexities of the subjunctive. But it’s great for users at any level.
Not least, the interface is elegant but simple, and they don’t waste your time with dancing cartoon creatures or cutesy phrases. (If you mess up a test, they just say “Hard luck.”) All in all, it’s a pleasure to use and well worth the price!
Developer Response ,
Hey ginnykidney! Thanks so much for your really detailed review :) We really are so grateful for your kind words, and delighted that Ella Verbs is helping to fill in those gaps for you. Props to you also for your continued motivation and determination to master Spanish (and Spanish verbs!). Wishing you the best in your journey! Jane & Brian
I have been using duo free to try to learn Spanish. We have a Spanish service at our church each Tuesday. I want to learn to talk with my new friends. Your program is fantastic. I’m only doing the free trial untill I know it well then if I can I will go on. I couldn’t understand the words changing… because of the tense… it was difficult for me so when I seen your program I thought I’d try. I love it because it explains the words in detail and explains why and how the endings changes. Thank you! It may take me a long time but I will understand it. Hopfully understand and talk it. Duo has helped me but I need to understand the words so I can speak and know what I am saying. I can read Spanish pretty good but need more understanding. It goes pretty fast I like going at my own pace … which isn’t very fast, I’m the tortoise in this learning experience😊I plan to learn to understand and speak it fluently🌺thank yal for letting all have the opportunity to learn while understanding clearly💘
Developer Response ,
Thanks a million for the 5 star review! I'm delighted you're enjoying your free trial and hope you continue to find it helpful. It's difficult for anyone to learn a new language, so you certainly don't have to worry about speed :) Keep up the amazing work – a little practice everyday goes a long way!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Brian Hemeryck
- 35.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Ella Verbs
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Monthly $7.49
- Pro Annual $34.99
- Pro Lifetime $109.99
- Ella Pro Annual $24.99
- Ella Pro Monthly $4.49
- Ella Pro Lifetime $69.99
- Pro Annual (Family) $69.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.