Environments is a historic catalog of long form field recordings created for the way you live. Whether you need to work, meditate, sleep, or any other use, Environments is the only ambient sound app based on extended recordings created in the 1960s and 70s on analog tape. Environments began as an unprecedented series of vinyl records, garnering widespread acclaim and selling millions of units. Now Environments steps into the mobile age as an invaluable and unique sonic tool for the way YOU live.
• No internet connection required — all recordings are part of the app.
• 23 fully remastered long-form analog recordings, most 30 minutes or more. Not short loops, not white noise — Environments live and breathe like nature itself.
• Simple, intuitive navigation. Unobtrusive, ad-free look and feel evokes a simpler, better time.
• Put your favorite environment on infinite loop, or build your own playlist of favorites.
• Blocks distractions, increases focus and mindfulness, reduces stress, helpful with tinnitus and fussy babies.
• Sounds include ocean waves, birdsongs and dawn chorus, chimes, "be-in", thunderstorms, gentle rain, heartbeat, wind in trees, wordless choir, summer cornfield, creaky sailboat, country stream, country meadow, blizzard, and many more.
• Features informative biography of Environments creator Irv Teibel, along with concise informational screens on individual recordings.
• The only app ever shortlisted for the best historic album Grammy award.
• A co-creation of Syntonic Research, Inc and the Grammy-nominated reissue label Numero Group.
• "It's intuitive, beautifully minimalist, and a perfect evolution of the original work." — Boing Boing
• "A remarkably creative way to reintroduce Teibel’s work and ideas… something great and sublime." — The New Yorker
• "Enjoy nature exactly the way God intended it, as an App." — Vice
• "The music of the future isn't music." — Irv Teibel
Fixes minor navigation bug
Ratings and Reviews
THE app for relaxation and sleep assistance
If you’re like me, silence is deafening. I can’t fall asleep at night without some sort of white noise/sfx type thing playing. During the day, i need the same sorts of thing to quiet my mind. This is the best app of its kind, hands down.
Besides having hours and hours of beautiful, natural sounding audio recordings of unique and varied environments (hence the name of the app), as well as a few new age and proto ambient pieces, the interface is dead simple to use. Make playlists of your favorite sound recordings (each one over 30 minutes long), play any one recording on a loop, and get the background behind this unique collection of recordings (all made on analog equipment back in the ‘70s). All that and more for one low price, paid one time, and then you have an ad-free app to enjoy for as long as you’d like. I cannot recommend this app enough!
Fantastic presentation of these fantastic recordings
I gotta hand it to the Numero Group, this app is great. When acquiring the Environments series, rather than doing a CD/Vinyl/Download reissue like their other releases, they had the thought to update for the 21st century and make an app.
22 long form, stereo analogue audio recordings of nature await you here. Is this fewer than other white noise apps? Yes, but what those lack is length, and quality. Also included here is a brief history of Irv Teibel, and the Environments series, which is nice (but if you’re looking for more, check out the Atlas Obscura article. Turns out the Environments series was one of the first audio recordings to be edited on a computer. A big analogue mainframe one, but a computer none the less).
I have two small nitpicks:
The audio mix on the recordings is a little hot. As I write this I’m listening to “A Country Stream”, and have my volume at roughly 15%, and it’s still really loud.
A recent update adds front and back LP cover art scans, which is fantastic, but sadly there’s no way to make the pictures larger to read the original write ups for each recording.
But really that’s it. It’s a phenomenal app.
Tried finding an alternative but this is the real deal
Before finding this app, I had been looking for the recordings online or something like it for years to no avail. I had one of these records when I was a teenager and wished I still had it. I’ve tried lots of other options, but the recordings were short or had music playing over them and nothing came close to the Environments experience. And now I have found the real deal. These are especially great to listen to when you are driving as it takes all the anxiety and frustration away. Thank you for bring these back to us in a modern format!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- The Numero Group L L C
- 619.6 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 10.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.2 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Numero Group & Syntonic Research Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.