FieldMonitor gives you wireless monitoring & control for Canons, Panasonics, Sonys, and Teradeks.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT buy FieldMonitor without reading this ENTIRE description!
Test your camera with its native Wi-Fi app to make sure your workflow and recording formats are supported BEFORE buying FieldMonitor. Make sure you have the controls you need with the native app, and that image quality and lag are acceptable. Contact me if you have any questions.
• FieldMonitor has the same latency, resolution, and reliability as your camera’s native app.
• If a camera control or feature does not work with the native app, it won’t work with FieldMonitor.
• FieldMonitor has NO playback, review or download capability.
• In areas with busy Wi-Fi networks and/or sources of radio interference, performance cannot be guaranteed, whether using FieldMonitor or your camera’s native app.
WHAT IT DOES:
FieldMonitor™ lets you monitor picture, exposure, and color on supported Canon™, Panasonic™, and Sony™ cameras, and Teradek™ H.264 transmitters (Teradeks require iOS 10+). FieldMonitor runs on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Silicon (M1) Mac.
Use markers to show safe areas, aspect ratios, and framing grids. Desqueeze anamorphic images, cropped to your final aspect ratio. Flip the image on either axis. Focus Assist helps you nail focus (camera sources only). Use a waveform monitor, vectorscope, histogram, and/or false color. Add 3D LUTs (camera sources only).
With iPhone 5S or later, iPod touch 6G or later, iPad Air or later, iPad mini 2 or later, and iPad Pro, you can see a false-color picture with adjustable levels.
With a supported camera and lens you can start/stop recording, control exposure and color settings, and zoom or focus remotely. Controls are designed for fast, realtime adjustments.
See the FieldMonitor website for details.
• Canon: EOS mirrorless and DSLR cameras that support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode when using Canon’s Camera Connect.
• Panasonic: Lumix cameras that transmit a live view while recording when using Image App or Lumix Sync. GH3 and earlier cameras do NOT support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode.
• Sony: only Alpha and RX cameras that transmit a live view while recording when using Imaging Edge Mobile. A5000, A6000, A7, A7R, A99 and earlier cameras do NOT support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode.
• Teradek: H.264 streams only, not H.265/HEVC (Cube 700/800) or uncompressed (Bolt).
• More info on the FieldMonitor website’s support page.
• FieldMonitor does not work with cine cameras or camcorders, only “hybrid” still & video cameras (mirrorless or DSLR).
• Audio is not transmitted from cameras, only Teradeks.
• Camera Wi-Fi images are 512x288, 640x360, 320x180, or 1024x576 depending on the camera. Teradeks support 720p and 1080p.
• “Smart Remote” Sonys do NOT allow use of Picture Profiles, S-Log, or S&Q Motion when using Wi-Fi remote control. Focus points can only be set in photo mode.
• “Ctrl w/ Smartphone“ Sonys do not display focus area, battery level, and/or storage info. Focus points can’t be set in the app with most cameras other than A1, A7Siii, and FX3, in video mode only.
• Fujifilm legacy support: ONLY X-T3 and X-T100 are supported. X-T3 only records 1080p / 29.97 fps; X-T100 only records 720p / 24 fps. See https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/support.html#Fujifilm for other limitations.
Canon, EOS, Camera Connect, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Lumix, Image App, Lumix Sync, Sony, Imaging Edge Mobile, Teradek, Cube, Clip, VidiU, Serv, & Bolt are all trademarks of their respective owners. FieldMonitor is an independently-developed app; Canon, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony, and Teradek are not responsible for FieldMonitor’s performance, suitability, or fitness for purpose.
Fixes missing focus-point display for EOS R5 and similar cameras.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for what it is
I recently downloaded field monitor to get a feel for using a monitor for the first time. I am currently shopping for a professional grade one like a ninja v. It’s been a great tool for me to learn to use things like false color and some of the focus checking modes. I truly believe you can improve your focus capabilities and your ability to get accurate exposure and the tools that this app provide far exceed what is available on my Sony A7rii. One huge draw back is that you cannot use Sony picture profiles while using this field monitor. The limitation here keeps me from being able to use this for any legitimate work as I choose log profiles for almost all my work. I do want to point out that this limitation is not the developers fault but instead Sony’s. I believe Sony cameras only give the remote capabilities they have baked into their native app and this app basically has to piggy back off each camera manufacturer’s current technology. If you’re someone who doesn’t use picture profiles, this is a great app and even though I can’t use this for professional work, it’s been a great learning tool for me.
Developer Response ,
Sorry about that; "Smart Remote" Sonys have that annoying limitation. "Ctrl w/ Smartphone" Sonys do allow Picture Profiles, S&Q Motion, etc., so if you decide to upgrade to an A7Riii, A7Riv, A7Siii, or the like, you'll be able to shoot log with Wi-Fi active.
I don’t regret buying FieldMonitor
I am using FieldMonitor with a Sony A7iii and an IPad Pro 10.5”.
FieldMonitor is an adequate way to give clients something to look at and play with while they try to slow down production. The app works well enough to pass off to someone who wants to feel involved.
FieldMonitor is a great concept that was built by someone who clearly has production experience. I hope people that are interested in buying this app realize the limitations before they complain about their $20.
With that said, I would not rely on this product as a primary field monitor. My guess is the developer would not be offended by that statement.
1. Low latency. Didn’t expect it to be this good.
2. Customizable features. Well done.
4. Scopes are pretty accurate. More testing is needed.
5. I have a live image on my flippin’ IPad Pro.
6. Fair Price
1. “Network timeouts” when playback is engaged on the camera. Is there any way to avoid re-connecting every time I want to see playback on my camera? That is frustrating.
3. No playback. (I know, read the description.)
I don’t regret buying FieldMonitor and I look forward to future updates. Thank you Adam.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the detailed and rational review (grin). As to "network timeouts", when you put the camera in Play, it drops the network connection. Sorry, that's just what the camera does; unless and until Sony changes the way it works, we're stuck with it (you'll see the same thing using PlayMemories Mobile). You can bump resolution up to 1024x576 (Settings > Camera Options > Sony Max Resolution), but frame rate will drop and latency will increase as the camera is pushing much bigger JPEGs though the skinny Wi-Fi pipe.
Excellent tool and great support
I am very pleased with this app. Having full screen monitoring is a huge help. I have a Panasonic GX85 and for some strange reason, Panasonic disables focus peaking and zebra stripe through the WiFi stream while recording video. Both are present in the stream before the recording is started and while recording it is only available on the camera screen. The extra features in this app allow me to still use sharpened edges and light to do essentially the same thing through the app.
I had some pre-sale questions and Adam was excellent and answered all my questions very quickly. The lower reviews seem to be from customers whom did not read the description of the app to see if it would or would not be compatible with their camera.
If your camera is in the supported list, or an email to Adam verifies it is, then buy this app. It is so much better than the ones the manufacture offers for monitoring purposes. If you just need to download images, the manufacture app probably already lets you do that. This one won’t.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Adam Wilt
- 35 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016–2022 Adam J. Wilt
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.