FlightLink is the free, proprietary app that adds enhanced functionality to all Lightspeed headsets.
FlightLink works seamlessly with Lightspeed headsets manufactured since 2012 (Zulu 2 and 3, Sierra, Tango, and PFX) to record and playback incoming and outgoing communications. Older Zulu 2 and Sierra headsets may qualify for a factory•installed retrofit at a nominal fee. For more information on a retrofit contact Lightspeed Customer Care by phone 800.332.2421 or email at email@example.com.
When combined with the Zulu PFX ANR headset, FlightLink's enhanced capabilities include recording via Bluetooth and the ability to set a variety of personal audio and operational preferences.
FlightLink Recording Features
FlightLink is perfect for any pilot flying with an iPad or iPhone who wants to capture and retrieve in•flight communication. It is also a valuable tool for flight training at all levels because of its ability to capture the intercom communication of instructional flights.
• Record all activity over the intercom, including inbound and outbound transmissions, and in•cabin conversation.
• Instantly play back ATC calls or other communications from any point within the last two minutes of recording.
• Create a permanent archive of all flight communications for post•flight briefing and training.
• Store your recording library on your iPhone or iPad, and access them with the iOS Files app or iTunes on a Mac or PC.
• Take handwritten notes on iPads and use Apple Pencil or Pencil 2 on supported iPads.
FlightLink Personal Preference Features (With Zulu PFX headsets only)
In addition to its recording features, FlightLink•s enhanced capabilities allow Zulu PFX headset users to adjust a variety of audio and operational settings, creating a personalized flying experience. For example:
• Customize audio settings for different aircraft or users
• Fine tune audio response for maximum voice clarity and music fidelity
• Use the Voice Clarity• option to boost frequencies common in human speech without impacting the quality of music from auxiliary devices
• View remaining battery life with the battery level indicator
• Enable / disable audible low battery alert
• Choose Auto Shutoff• delay intervals
• Save custom settings in up to three personal profiles
The ability to set and save other audio and operational preferences through FlightLink is only available on the Zulu PFX headset.
Time scrubber moved back to the Library Recording Playback
Most recent recordings will appear at the top of the list in the Library view
Improved user experience with double-tap gesture with Apple Pencil 2
Fixed Freeze and Crash bug with iOS 13
Fixed file transfer bug when sending large recordings
The Recordings Source switches to appropriate inputs for PFX both in and out of an intercom
Ratings and Reviews
Great Feature, Poor Execution
I was victim to my recording being lost on export. Similar to many others here.
I converted to M4A. Then I hit the export button to Save To Files. Now my file is gone from the app and I have no idea where it went.
I bought the Zulu 3’s specifically for this feature, but losing files is very annoying. If this is some kind of user error, make it harder for this to happen. But I can assure you I didn’t hit the trash
Poor Functionality, Files Disappearing,
TL;DR - App is clunky and difficult to get working properly, files can disappear without warning.
While the FlightLink app is visually appealing and easy to interact with, getting it to work is an absolute nightmare. The app doesn’t record cockpit audio or ATC without first enabling the the “FlightLink” DIP Switch on the inside of your headset’s in-line volume controls. In addition to that, it doesn’t work over Bluetooth, so you’re required to use the audio cable provided with your headset in order for all the audio to record properly.
Once you go through the trouble of getting the app working, it offers a frustrating user experience. If not converted to the M4A format before sharing, files will be permanently deleted without notice. The audio playback feature is passable at best, with poor scrubbing controls and a lack of helpful features like a trim function which would be helpful for longer recordings.
Save yourself the trouble and buy an external audio recorder and audio cables to use with your aircraft's headset plugs. It’s much easier and more reliable than this clunky piece of software.
Lots of Promise, Does Not Deliver
This app does not do what Lightspeed says it will do. Doing an export to m4a is extremely buggy. Switching apps, letting he screen turn off, or looking at the app wrong will result in the export failing, and the application deleting the source recording. All that needs to change is for the app not to delete the source recording on export or compression, and then I would be able to recover and try again, but it doesn’t even do that, which means that this app is worse than no app at all. It’s the promise of a recording app, but in reality you’ll find that in more than 50% of cases, you’ll have hours of recordings summarily deleted.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Lightspeed Aviation
- 31 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- Lightspeed Aviation © 2012-2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.