Start your 2-week free trial of FluentU now! Cancel anytime.
Tired of boring language learning textbooks? FluentU brings languages to life with real-world interactive videos!
Learn to read and speak Spanish, French, English, Mandarin Chinese, German, Japanese, Russian, Korean and Italian with FluentU.
FluentU turns music videos, movie trailers, news and inspiring talks into an amazing language learning experience. Experience an immersive education that teaches you to speak and comprehend new languages in a natural way.
Now you can learn a new language while connecting with the culture. No matter what your skill level or interest, FluentU has you covered.
LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE
- Immerse yourself in a foreign language to understand how it’s used
- Connect with the language through real-world videos
- Quiz yourself on the vocabulary
- Learn to speak the language instead of scripted phrases
- Stay motivated to learn each day
WATCH, LISTEN & LEARN
- Put the textbooks away and learn from experience
- Watch videos with subtitles and translations to learn the language
- Tap on any word or phrase to learn its meaning
- Add words to your vocabulary list for review
- Listen to audio dialogues to gain an understanding of the language
- Look up any word and see how it’s used in a sentence
- Search content by title or grammar and vocabulary points
- Chinese (Mandarin)
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Great app. To my knowledge the best on the market. You created something unique and new!"
- Felix Wedel
"It is more helpful than any other tool I've used. I had been using podcasts before and trying to make flashcards, and that worked pretty well. But it ended up that I was spending more time making the flashcards than studying. FluentU really solves this."
- David Brown
"FluentU has quickly become one of my favorite language-learning tools. Great job on an aesthetically pleasing app and an incredibly functional one."
- Justin Price
"This concept in FluentU is amazing. It's such a great way to help you understand a spoken language and the way you break it down is amazing."
- Demi Pradolin
"This app is so fun and useful - the best Chinese language learning app I've ever used."
- Richard Jun
FluentU is available as a monthly ($29.99 for Plus) or yearly subscription ($239.99 for Plus). If you enjoy FluentU, do nothing and your membership will automatically continue for as long as you choose to remain a member. You can easily cancel anytime, online. Just sign up to get started!
If you subscribe via iTunes: Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period and identify the cost of the renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
1. Guide animation added for new users
2. Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Technically works, but buggy and janky
Don’t expect any UI polish.
- Images pop in and out as you scroll.
- Audio will only sometimes play while the app is in the background.
- Forward/backward controls put the subtitles out of sync with the audio.
- Dragging the week slider has random effects on the player, including jumping you right past the quiz to the next lesson.
- At the end of a video, the final subtitle is replaced with the first subtitle.
- Sometimes videos play twice and I’m not sure it’s on purpose.
- Tapping a word makes the whole screen jump left for no perceivable reason, then it shows the definition after a pause.
- No clear instruction on what to do when a course is up for review… everything just turns orange, but only some orange buttons make it blue again.
- Subtly different interaction than on the web, so switching between the two is confusing. (For example, some videos on the web are audio-only on iOS.)
- Two loading spinners appear on the screen at a time sometimes.
- No loading spinners have cancel buttons.
- Going back one screen often resets your scroll position so you lose your place.
But hey, it hasn’t crashed yet, and it gets the job done.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it! If you encounter any further errors, please report them directly via the app by shaking your device. We'd love to look into them.
Great app for learning typical everyday language
I have been trying to teach myself Chinese for years and this app really helped me stick with it consistently. I find it easy to use. What I like most about it is it teaches common ways of saying things, the stuff you hear on the street or on TV shows (which is a big reason I’m learning Chinese).
This is an invaluable adjunct learning tool. It tests you on writing, but I still supplement w Skritter to get the strokes correct, and I still read textbooks to get the reasoning behind grammar clear. But to drill into your mind the common ways people normally speak, this is where to go do you don’t get bogged down academically. Sometimes you just have to practice building sentences without thinking too much about what goes where so that it’s more reflexive and natural rather than intellectual.
The only downside is when I’m not on WiFi, the movie clips take forever to load.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it! :)
How do I avoid being charged for a subscription
PLEASE HELP. Just received an email about a billing problem of $240 for a subscription that I don’t even remember signing up for. I never subscribe to anything so I don’t know if it was unintentional or just started charging after a trial. I believe I canceled it right now and I also sent an email out, but I need to know how to avoid being charged. It hasn’t charged me yet as there was “a problem with the billing” But I keep reading comments that say if you cancel at least one day before the subscription ends, you won’t be charged. However, I was just less than a week late. The emails that were meant to notify me got lost in my inbox as I am a high school student who already gets hundreds of emails for school and from colleges, especially during this time as school has been transferred online. Also, can’t even afford this because I do not have a job. This app has been deleted for so long, I don’t have any memory of even using it. On top of that, it’s not even charging to my card, but to someone else’s. I cannot deal with this right now, someone please help.
Developer Response ,
Hi Alyssa! I believe we're able to sort this out via email. Please stay safe!
- FluentFlix Limited
- 200.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © FluentFlix Limited
- In-App Purchases
- FluentU Plus $29.99
- FluentU Plus $239.99
- FluentU Plus $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.