Map routes with your finger and Footpath will snap to roads and trails. Measure distances and elevations in seconds, then navigate along with turn-by-turn directions.
Footpath is the ultimate companion for planning and navigating custom routes.
Join millions of adventurers and plan out your perfect route.
SNAP TO MAP
Quickly measure distances by tracing a map with your finger or Apple Pencil. Footpath will snap to roads and trails on the map.
MEASURE DISTANCE AND ELEVATION
Know exactly how far and how high you'll travel with elevation profiles. Plan routes that match your goals.
SAVE ROUTES FOR LATER
Plan out your week or trip. Keep up to 5 routes on hand for reference, or save unlimited routes with Footpath Elite.
Send your routes to friends or workout partners to open on their device.
Footpath is designed to work for pretty much any activity or adventure, in any country:
• Cycling and mountain biking
• Hiking and mountaineering
• Motorcycling and driving
• Backcountry skiing
• Kayaking and standup paddleboarding
• And many more!
Ready to go the extra mile? Upgrading to Footpath Elite unlocks the following powerful features:
- Footpath will tell you when to turn with turn-by-turn audio cues on your iPhone and Apple Watch.
- Save your route and cues in advance for voice guidance that works completely offline.
- Double tap your AirPods or use the playback controls button on your headphones to replay your next cue.
- 3D and topographic maps including Footpath Outdoors (Worldwide), USGS Topo Maps (U.S. and Canada), OpenCycleMap (Worldwide), and many more.
- Cycling lanes, avalanche slope shading, and elevation contour lines.
- Unlimited saved routes
- Edit saved routes
- Organize and sort routes into custom lists
- Calendar log and weekly summary of your activity
- Analyze splits, speed, elevation, and heartrate
- Speed heatmaps
- GPX import and export
- TCX and FIT course export for turn-by-turn navigation on Garmin and Wahoo GPS devices
- Export cue sheets to a spreadsheet app for customization and printing
- Export routes and workouts to Apple Health
You can purchase a Footpath Elite monthly or yearly subscription through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to the Manage Subscriptions page in settings after purchase, and your features will remain active until the end of the subscription period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period at the same cost as your original purchase.
TIPS FOR MAPPING ROUTES
• For longer routes, try zooming in and mapping your route in multiple segments.
• Tap and hold the map to quickly route between waypoints and POIs.
• Did Footpath snap to the wrong roads? Trace over the incorrect segment to edit, or use the eraser tool.
• Turn off snap to roads (magnet icon) and zoom in to manually trace the map. (Try switching to a satellite layer).
• Displaying maps and continuously running GPS in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Navigate without maps or with the screen off for all day battery life.
We've got a lot planned for Footpath. If you have any suggestions or feedback, or if you run into any issues, please contact us at email@example.com
Terms of Service: https://footpathapp.com/terms
You can now plan routes in the browser on your desktop and sync them to your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch for navigation. Just visit footpathapp.com and log in to get started.
- Improved compatibility importing and exporting GPX files
- Apple Watch: Workouts can now be saved to Apple Health without needing to sync with the iPhone app
- Fixed issue when reordering routes in a list
Leave us an App Store review if you're enjoying Footpath, or feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any problems or suggestions.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic GPX route planning app
This app is absolutely fantastic for planning hikes. Even though we have used other online route apps, we've been looking for an easy to use route planning app for our phones that exports GPX route files for use with our favorite iPhone GPS software (GaiaGPS). Footpath does it seamlessly. We also upload the route files to fitness apps like RunKeeper where it tells us in advance how many calories our planned hikes will burn. Wonderful!
Suggested future updates: add the ability to import existing GPX route/track files for easy sharing and editing (this is Footpath's most glaring deficiency in our opinion--right now you can only export routes to other apps); make it possible to easily move starting and mid-points of a route you want to edit (right now you can only edit an existing route by deleting segments of the route starting at the end until you get to a fork or turn you want to explore and then continuing along a new path from there); and it would also be great if your routes were automatically saved to a personal account on a website maintained by Footpath so they could be more easily managed and exported to your favorite GPS and fitness apps.
All that said, Footpath is pretty awesome as is and has already benefited us greatly by giving us the ability to quickly and easily plan and execute our weekly hikes anywhere we are whenever we have a couple minutes. Thank you!
The best has just gotten better
OK this is going to be a rave.
Nobody is mentioning what I thought was the most interesting thing about new version 3. The old version would switch maps automatically depending on zoom level, but the new Footpath Outdoors map appears to just combine all the information of the old maps without the jarring switch.
The tutorial is very brief with only the basics covered, but if you haven’t found a feature you want - for me it was how to switch snap types on the fly - keep poking controls in the corners and it’s a good bet you’ll find it in one of them. (The snap switch is a few extra taps to switch but it does work smoothly and consistently.)
The new editing tools are hugely welcome! I don’t recall if I could edit saved routes in the old version, but that’s in here now. I haven’t found a way to edit start points, so unless I’m just missing something I’d recommend zooming in very close on your start point and then backing out to complete the route.
I also appreciate the new account system where I can create/edit routes on my iPad and see the same routes on my iPhone. The grandfathering of my old saved routes into the iPad was very nice - I was briefly afraid I’d have to pay again until I found the secret instruction to invoke it. (Pssst - hey dev, I’d have paid it anyway, but thanks, that was very kind.)
Could be good, but not for my needs
I feel bad rating this too low because I did not use it for very long. However, that is because I started to get genuinely upset with it. It seems that it would be great for legitimate trails, city streets, etc. However, I had great difficulty getting it to stick to actual suburb roads. At one point it decided I should take a nice detour and bike through the pond. When drawing a simple path with a stylus, it thought it would be fun to throw in a few circles. Additionally, it did not give me sufficient editing abilities. On one trip I tried to map, it had a random straight line going through a woods. I attempted to erase it so I could shift it over, but it just kept reappearing in a different, equally incorrect location. It also completely ignores a popular footpath. The “snap to map” is somewhat a useful, and certainly an innovative feature. It just needs some love. I could see this working on longer trips that need less accuracy, but for my suburban 10 mile excursions it brought nothing but anger. For now, I’m going to stick to drawing vauge lines on a map, and finding out the mileage later.
TLDR: I can see it’s applications and situations it could be good in. It just is not at all conducive to my biking or running excursions.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Health & Fitness
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Half Mile Labs LLC
- 70.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- ©2021 Half Mile Labs LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Footpath Elite (Monthly) $3.99
- Footpath Elite (Yearly) $23.49
- Single Route Pass $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.