As Featured by Apple in the Apps We Love and Must-Have Navigation Apps section.
Track your outdoor activities and favorite destinations.
"One of the better GPS apps for sporting enthusiasts for the iPhone..."
- Bryan Wolfe, AppAdvice.com
Do you want to track your outdoor activities?
Do you need to navigate to waypoints?
Do you want to store your favorite destinations?
GPS Tracks is an ideal app for your outdoor navigational needs, it makes navigating to a specific point and tracking your outdoor activities very simple. It will keep track of your activities and allow you to easliy navigate to coordinates.
GPS Tracks is now available for the Mac in the Mac App Store! GPS Tracks is one of the only tracking applications to sync data between iOS and OS X.
No login or account required, just turn it on and go!
Use Applications -
• Great for hiking offline, running, walking, and biking to track your route!
• Great for photographers who need to track location data for their pictures!
• Great for hunters and fishermen who need to store specific locations!
• Great for military navigational applications!
Live Activities & Widgets
• Live Activity for tracking
• Live Activity for navigating to waypoints
• Lock Screen & Home Screen widget for distance today
• Lock Screen & Home Screen widget for current location
• Home Screen widget for last track and add new waypoint
• Track your location/route of your activity
• Store favorite locations
• Take GPS static observations to average current location for more accurate waypoints
• Easily navigate to waypoints with the waypoint guide on the compass
• Add fully editable waypoints on the fly to your current track either manually or from you favorite locations
• Add a vector as a waypoint with angle and distance
• Convert between four sets of coordinates (Decimal, DMS, MGRS, UTM) anytime
• Glide Ratio is viewable and tracked during recording
• Use degrees or mils for the compass
• Add MGRS Grid overlay to map
• Create routes to follow manually before you start your track
• GPS Tracks uses WGS84 datum, over 220 datums available with an In-App purchase.
• Map measuring tools allow you to measure area and distance on the map
• Draw or drop pins to measure
Apple Watch App
• Track your activity directly with your Apple Watch without your iPhone
• Will save your workouts to the Health app from the watch (only the watch app uses HealthKit)
• iCloud syncing (will sync between Mac, iPad, and iPhone version)
• Import/Export to Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or iTunes File Sharing
• Send locations to the Navigon/TomTom/Google app or the default Maps app for driving directions
• Share your location with friends with a text message (SMS) or email with a direct link to your location on a map
• Import and export tracks/coordinates in a GPX, KML, BIN, CSV, or NMEA format
• Email exported files
• Export track with photos to KMZ file to export your photos taken during the track
• View your track on the map with the ability to replay the route
• View detailed statistics of the track
• View the waypoints saved with each track
• Change track color
There are many other great features.
GPS Tracks Pro & Premium (Auto-Renewing Yearly Subscription In-App Purchase)
• Use Street, Terrain, Satellite, USGS, NOAA nautical charts, FAA charts, and many other alternate map sources
• Save maps for offline use
• Use custom Map Tile Server URLs
• Print Maps in PDF
• GPS Tracks Live - location sharing with friends which allows you to see your friends tracks live on the map
• Weather at waypoints
• Elevation profiles for tracks
• Subscription syncs via iCloud to other devices
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
• This release is focused on fixing bugs and resolving crash reports
Ratings and Reviews
Great tracking app without unnecessary fluff
What do you really want a GPS app to provide? So, for starters, a map. Check. You may want to plan or import routes and enter destinations or landmarks (waypoints) and have a logical way to organize them. Check. See where you are on the map and track your movements with a customizable, easy to use interface. Check. Save/export your hike, bike ride, etc. and see stats about it. Check. Do you want lots of control of the settings? Easy access user guide? Responsive support from the developer? Check, check, check. How about trail suggestions, reviews, star ratings and social media? Not me, and thank goodness GPS Tracks is not trying to do that. Of course no app is perfect for everyone. An option for motion start would be handy on benefit bike rides so I can stow my phone and have the track start when they send us off. During live tracking I would rather have total ascent than “average” ascent on the map screen. I also haven’t used the heart rate monitor and probably wont, but ok, it’s there. Minor niggles. Overall, I really like this app for what it is and what it isn’t and I plan on upgrading to the Pro version once I start needing to download maps for offline use. Oh, and if you are looking for a replacement for Motion-X, GPS Tracks is probably the one you want.
Best for Navigating
My new favorite place to walk is a park that has a lot of paths but the paths are not mapped out very well. The only way I knew to create an accurate map of the paths were to simply walk them, and have my phone track me while I walked. I did this using this app, and only on days where I had a lot of time, since once I picked a path I didn’t know how far it would go or how long I would walked. I simply kept doing this until I had walked all of the paths.
There were so many trails that I didn’t walk them all on one day. I usually walked one trail a week. But the cool thing was that I was still able to create a map that showed all trails at once, so that from then on I was able to pick and choose what trails I wanted to take and even go from one trail to another during a walk.
Other apps didn’t give me that freedom. They only showed one track at a time, and that made it impossible to connect the tracks together. Only with this app was I able to get the full picture so that I’d be able to pick which paths I wanted to take on any given day or view how long each path I picked would be on the days I didn’t have a lot of time.
Professional grade capabilities
As a long time Biological Field Technician I have nothing but good things to say about this app. I use it daily in the rugged and remote terrain in Hawaii. I have ditched my clunky Garmin handheld unit and can run tracks and take photo waypoints for my work all day long. I’m freed up from needing a PC to transfer data and I can now deliver info straight from the field via text msg or email. Loading external maps and data that have been emailed to me is a cinch.
I use GPS Tracks to inspect conservation fences, track invasive species control and search for endangered plants as well as field navigation. I have even used it while flying to locate helicopter landing zones.
The app doesn’t have a huge impact on my iPhone 8 battery life. So far it has performed very well when offline/No Service which is imperative in the Hawaiian backcountry. Although I am concerned about using it in a dense forest canopy, perhaps an accessory antenna may help. Love the mapping subscription and benefit highly from the ESRI contour map. Usability is easy to learn and I have gotten a number of coworkers to use the app on their phones.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- David Morneault
- 68 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2011 - 2022 David Morneault
- In-App Purchases
- GPS Tracks Pro $19.99
- GPS Tracks Premium $39.99
- Datum Add-On Pack $2.99
Get things done within this app using just your voice.