Genetics and Evolution solves four types of basic problems commonly taught in introductory genetics courses in high schools and colleges. This app was originally designed for the Duke University (and Coursera) Introduction to Genetics and Evolution course, but it is helpful for any students, teachers, or practitioners in genetics! Problems solved include:
* Genetic cross mapping -- accepts genotype counts for three genes from a "test cross", and uses the counts to infer the gametic phase, the recombination rate between the three genes, and the gene order.
* Breeder's equation heritability -- with any three of the following values, calculates the fourth: starting phenotype, selected phenotype, response phenotype, broad-sense heritability.
* Hardy-Weinberg -- accepts genotype counts for a single gene and outputs observed genotype frequencies, expected genotype frequencies, and the coefficient of inbreeding (F).
* Population Growth -- with any of the following 3 values, calculates the fourth: Initial Population, Final Population, Time in years, Growth Rate (or separate birth/death rates)
* Self Test quiz-- quiz yourself on some common basic genetic terms.
* Allele Freak: track and graph the fate of alleles over multiple generations based on relative fitness, genetic drift etc
* Cross Simulator: simulate various types of Mendelian crosses. results are displayed in Punnett Square format, and resulting genotypes/phenotypes and ratios are displayed
Use this app to check your answers, or better yet, to generate a nearly infinite number of practice problems! Features Dropbox integration for depositing a pdf of practice problems.
Self Test Quiz upgrade:
- Now able to easily install alternative sets of quiz questions using Quiz Code Tokens. New quizzes and associated tokens can be created freely via web app http://quizupdate.genevol.com/
- New Population Genetics quiz (code 'POPGN') delivered standard, in addition to default App quiz (common genetics terms)
- Fixed bug in Cross Simulator caused by ios update (was causing crashes when attempting to change organism,)
- Fixed bug in Breeders Equation Problem Solver (was causing occasional crash when parameters resulted in an R/S value > 1)
- Updated support email address (now email@example.com)
Ratings and Reviews
Simple but good
This is a simple app designed to solve basic math problems in genetics. It looks like the designers spent a lot of time developing the app. The interface looks polished and I couldn't find any bugs. Recommended.
An extraordinary amount of work must have gone into this. Great tool for genetics! Thank you.
Buggy & Crashes on iOS 9.2.1!
On my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 5c both running the latest iOS 9.2.1, the app crashes every time I try to switch organisms in the cross simulator. When wanting to type in the alleles for a custom cross, the keyboard also gets stuck. With such application-breaking bugs, I'm worried about the correct functionality of the paid-for iPad version....
- Russell Myers
- 18.7 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2016 Russell B Myers
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.