Grocery is the smartest and fastest grocery shopping app. Keep your list sorted while you shop with syncing support for iCloud and Reminders. Easily add shopping list items from Siri and Recipes.
** App Store iOS App of the Day - January 23rd 2021**
** MacStories Must-Have iOS Apps - 2018 **
"Extra navigational steps, like remembering where you are in a list or backtracking through a store because of the order on paper, can really push a person over the edge if going to the store is their current 'Impossible Task'. They might opt for leaving with only half of their items, or just not go at all…which can project this task into the future, always a little unfinished or uncertain. Grocery reduces steps needed in the moment, and provides that little bit of joy every time an item is checked off the list in the UI. Knowing that I just made the future better, by going to the store and checking things off the list and improving the sorting algorithm! This is actually a huge relief: reduced doomsday feelings because I know that future store runs are going to be even easier/better because of what I did today (yay positive agency)!" - Amelia W.
- Key Features -
• Share your lists with partners and add items to your list on iCloud!
• Grocery keeps your list in Reminders so sharing a list is as simple as sharing your calendar.
• Importing recipes from Safari is lightning fast.
• Create recipes in Grocery for quickly adding ingredients to your shopping list.
• An intuitive cooking experience with planned meals from your library of recipes.
• Always know what items are in your pantry and when they expire with Inventory Tracking!
- Reminders -
• Add items to your list on Mac or iCloud Reminder's apps
• Share your list by sharing a Reminder's list with others
- Siri -
• Tell Siri: "Add Eggs to my Grocery list"
• Create Siri Shortcuts to quickly add groups of items
- Lightning Fast -
• Custom auto-complete with your list items and notes
- Sorting -
• Grocery learns every time you shop
• Keeps track of the order you mark off items to sort your list next time
- Multiple Stores -
• Add a Store for every place that you shop
• Associate lists with stores based on how you want to shop at multiple locations
• Assign geofences that change the selected store wherever you go
- Recipes -
• Recipe files are stored in iCloud Drive and sync between all your devices
• Innovative Markdown Recipe format optimized for cooking on mobile phones
• Automatically detects timers in recipe steps
- CleanUp -
• “12 oz of Chocolate Chips” becomes “Chocolate Chips: 12 oz”
• Detect multiple or duplicated items
- CoreML -
• CleanUp can use a custom CoreML model to recognize item titles and notes
- Backup & Data -
• Your list is always stored in Reminders for easy backup or access outside of Grocery
• Grocery will never modify your other Reminders lists
- Quick Add -
• Quick Add uses your shopping history to suggest items you frequently shop for.
• It's great for adding frequently shopped for items to your grocery list.
- Syncing -
• iCloud syncing makes using Grocery across Mac and iOS devices seamless and easy.
• Households share your stores, shopping history, planned recipes, pantry status, and all premium features with family members!
• Keep track of all the items in your pantry
• Automatic expiration and replenishment settings
Grocery Premium is charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Your Account will be charged the same price for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription’s one-year period. Your subscription renews automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions or cancel auto-renewal at any time on your Account Settings in the App Store.
Ratings and Reviews
Learning Curve, Huge Gains
A fantastic app, yet you need to learn how to use it. The only thing that this app is missing during its planning is friendly UI but I don’t expect it to happen for quite some time as this will require for the app to go through an overhaul and perhaps it will be the third version of the app. With that said this app is amazing once you fiddle around and learn how the features work. You can actually set up what you need from each individual store (especially if you are price shopping or can only find certain items at a certain store). I must add that having the ability to set reminders on when things expire is a must have feature because if you aren’t like me having the time to clean out the fridge and pantry every week then this will make it easier to know what needs to be replaced or thrown away. These are just to name a few but two that I found to be lacking in most other “shopping” apps. Give the app a try and you will find something a feature that will benefit you.
To the the developers, it will be great if there was a section to add a link of the weekly ad at the grocery store someone is shopping at.
Set up is confusing
I’ll preface by saying I’ve just downloaded the app and am working through setup, so some more noodling on my part may make things clear. But initial impression is that Store setup is confusing AF. Instructions are minimal and written from the perspective of someone already intimate with the workings of the app. Somehow I wound up with two iCal DAV entries (or maybe two Reminders entries... It’s, like I said, confusing AF). Trying to do a grocery list and it appears as though the second store I set up has become a kind of master store, underneath which the first store I set up is like a sub-store. Like I said, it’s confusing AF. Better instructions are needed, or perhaps, better presentation of stores. Good rules of thumb for instructions: 1) Assume the user does not have a high-level conceptual understanding of your app. The user didn’t design it, so won’t be intimate with the consequences of choosing setup options. 2) Include a how-to guide, with step-by-step instructions, rather than a 10,000-ft level overview of the process.
Update: cancelled subscription, deleted app. The interface with Reminders makes zero sense. I deleted the two stores I had initially set up so I could start over to understand the set up process. To my surprise, a whole other category of Reminders (all geo-fenced reminders with names of fav servers/bartenders at my favorite establishments) showed up as a Store/List. What the fuuu...??
So much potential...
I have tried over 40+ grocery/shopping apps, and this app has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. It’s feature rich and has some great functionality. However, like most app developers, use-case and actual usability seem to be an afterthought—which is paramount for any successful app. Features mean absolutely nothing without that! The sync function fails consistently and is poorly planned. I’m required to manually force a sync to iCloud and pull data from iCloud to update shared data on other devices. As a result... we have abandoned use for family and sync function. I have tested this with multiple devices and new data and all problems are easily reproducible. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled to confirm the short list of issues. There is a definitely learning curve, which could be easily remedied.
Emails to developer confirm that you are likely to not get a response, another failed use-case example. It’s easy to open a free support & ticket tracking system to receive the list of issues to be prioritized and worked on, establish a roadmap for features, and get this back on track. I hope that the developer takes this app seriously for future updates, enhancements, and builds up its potential. Again, because it truly has SO MUCH POTENTIAL.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Conrad Stoll
- 15.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2017 Conrad Stoll
- In-App Purchases
- Grocery Premium $9.99
- Grocery Premium - Monthly $3.99
- Grocery Premium - Forever $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.