HACK for YC's Hacker News is the most beautiful and easy way to read about the latest tech, startup and STEM news.
- Login or Register your Hacker News account
- Comments are presented in nested threads
- Tap a comment to collapse that thread
- Swipe left or right on stories and comments to upvote and favorite
- Ability to submit new posts including drafts
- Long press a story, link or comment to share
- iPad supports split view
- Landscape and Portrait support
- 3D touch for peek, pop support
- Home screen 3D touch shortcuts
- Tap the bottom button to scroll to the next root comment in the thread. Long press it to go to the previous one
- All known hacker news endpoints - News, front page, Ask HN, Show HN, Show HN Newest, classic, active, best stories, best comments, new stories, new comments, noob stories, noob comments, jobs, over 100-500 points
- Tap the reply button on a story or comment to comment using your account
- Browse top 100 leader accounts
- Browse stories from a specific site, user or date
- Powerful search (powered by Algolia API) - use @date to sort by date, #story to filter for stories, #comments to filter for comments, #author_username to filter by user etc. These tags can be separated by commas. Refer to https://hn.algolia.com/api for more tags.
- Dark mode - both pure black and gray mode
- Low contrast text mode to make the text not be pure white #FFFFFF
- Many color choices for customization
- 10 Font choices
- Ability to change font sizes, padding etc to make the layout as compact as you like!
- Threaded comments with color bar to maintain visual orientation
- Colored usernames helps in easy reading of story titles
- Articles open in Safari view with setting to automatically open in "readability" mode
- Tap the domain in a story to see all stories from that site
- Tap the username in a story or comment to go to the user profile
- Browse your submitted stories and comments, favorited stories and comments, upvoted stories and comments
- No Ads
All stories and comments are via Algolia API and Hacker News API:
Profile picture robots lovingly delivered by Robohash.org
I offer an ad free and beautiful app for the absolute best experience for my users. If you are enjoying the app, please leave me a positive rating on the app store as that helps get the word out to others!
If you have any feedback or feature requests, please email Pran at:
- Fixed a bug where comment threads weren't infinitely scrollable
- Fixed a bug where links in a post weren't clickable
- Fixed a bug for comments which are deleted
- Fixed a bug where the reply button would show for comments/posts too old to be replied to
- Fixed a small UI bug in the settings screen
- The fonts in Settings is now a bit more organized and doesn't have long list until expanded. So no need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the fonts to reach more settings
- Fixed a crash bug in chronological view screen
I offer an ad and subscription free and beautiful app for the absolute best experience for my users. If you are enjoying the app, please leave me a positive rating on the app store as that helps get the word out to others. If you would like to support development and buy me a coffee, you can purchase the one time small in app purchase! Thank you for your support!
This update wouldn't have been possible without the amazing feedback from HN and Reddit! If you have any feedback or feature requests, please email Pran at:
- Added a info/help button to the main list of hacker news endpoints explaining what each one shows
- You can now submit posts directly from the app! Please ensure your posts are following the HN guidelines: https://news.ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html
- You can now edit your comments. Please note that HN has a time limit within which you can edit comments. Please also note that when you make a new comment, you will manually need to pull to refresh the discussion to be able to edit the comment (the edit button will only be visible after a reload).
- Fixed a crash bug in search screen
- Added "advanced search" info on the search screen
- Made the search auto complete duration a bit longer
Ratings and Reviews
The Best Hacker News reader
After the 1.4 update every complaint I had with this app is addressed. By far my favorite way to read hacker news.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind review! Trying my best to make this the best user experience in browsing HN!
The best I have come across
Excellent app, very feature rich. The author keeps refining, and adding features to it. Highly recommended!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind feedback! :)
So far I’m really loving it, very modern and user friendly app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you!! Glad you like it!
- Pranoy Chowdhury
- 27.8 MB
- Magazines & Newspapers
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Pranapps
- In-App Purchases
- Hack Premium $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.