Embark on a musical journey! Follow the Hooktheory Book Series in a smart, fun, skill-building journey. Learn how to craft melodies and chord progressions like professional musicians, and discover an intuitive and deep understanding of how music works. Validated by over 30,000 hobby and pro musicians like you, the Hooktheory Book Series is the best-selling how-to series for musicians around the world for a reason.
Hooktheory I isn’t like other music theory books.
Hooktheory teaches with an easy-to-understand music format that emphasizes chord and melody function. Rich audiovisual animations play along as you learn. We dissect popular songs and show you how the pros do it. Immediately practice concepts and tactics with our companion musical sketchpad, Hookpad. There is nothing else like it!
Fun to read. Easy to understand. Full of practical knowledge.
Learn from 41 interactive exercises and 88 audiovisual examples from artists like The Beatles, Journey, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Adele, Coldplay, Billy Joel, Lady Gaga, Elton John, Maroon 5, and more!
In Hooktheory I, you’ll learn the following skills:
• Composing music based on a scale.
• Understanding the six basic chords that underlie all great chord progressions.
• Writing chord progressions based on function (understanding which chords go together and which ones don’t)
• Making melodies “chord aware” - learn why certain melodies sound good with a chord progression and why others don't
• Controlling the natural tension and release in melodies over a chord progression
• Simple piano roll notation (sheet music knowledge not required)
• Every concept + technique demonstrated through an actual song
• 88 audiovisual examples from artists like The Beatles, Journey, and Taylor Swift
• Reinforce learning at every step with 41 exercises
• Designed to be used with Hookpad Music Making Software. Hookpad lets you practice every concept and tactic you learn in the books immediately
To sum it up, Hooktheory I will teach you the essential basic techniques for crafting effective and compelling chord progressions and melodies.
Reading Hooktheory I doesn’t require any previous music knowledge or the ability to read sheet music. On average, it takes about five hours to read so it isn't a huge time commitment. Dedicate only a few hours to reading this book and gain a lifetime of skills that will give your music that professional edge.
- App is now free with in-app purchase to unlock content past chapter 1.
- Added support for Sign in with Apple
- Added support for Sign in with Google
- Added buttons to manage or delete account. Accessible from user menu in top right.
- Review page links to App Store review page
Ratings and Reviews
Sound Font Woes
I've only just started reading, so I can't say much about the content of the book (from what I've read so far it seems to be solid though).
One thing that immediately stood out to me was that the sound font/sample/synth used in the examples is really, reeeally cheap sounding. It reminds me of something you would hear in DOS era computer games. It would be less distracting if they were replaced with something nicer. I know this is a nitpick, but when the rest of the book looks so nice and sleek, it's a little jarring to hear something so old and ugly.
I realize this may not be possible from a time/effort perspective since it looks like you hard-rendered them into QuickTime files and redoing it could take too long, but I would immediately bump my review up to a 5 if that was fixed. : )
Nice book but some audio issue
The audio works fine when first being played. But there’s no sound comes out if wait for some time and play again. I have to restart the app to get the sound to work.
I learned more in the few days I spent going through this app than I did in years of trying and failing to learn an instrument, taking classes, and reading books about theory. It breaks it down so simple it almost makes me mad at all the teachers and books that make it so hard when it doesn't have to be. I've actually decided to give the piano and songwriting another shot because I finally understand it. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to learn theory, any instrument, or songwriting. I wish I could have had this years ago.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hooktheory LLC
- 147.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Hooktheory LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version $14.99