Continue on your musical journey! Build on the foundation you learned in Hooktheory I, and discover an intuitive and deep understanding of richer, more sophisticated music. Unlock the songwriting tactics used by The Beatles, Bowie, Queen, Michael Jackson, and more. Learn about seventh chords, embellishments, secondary chords, minor harmony, modes, and modal mixture. Validated by over 30,000 hobby and pro musicians like you, the Hooktheory Book Series is the best-selling how-to series for musicians for a reason.
Hooktheory II isn’t like other music theory books.
Hooktheory teaches with an easy-to-understand music format that emphasizes chord and melody function. Rich audiovisual animations play along as you learn. We dissect popular songs and show you how the pros do it. Immediately practice concepts and tactics with our companion musical sketchpad, Hookpad. There is nothing else like it!
Fun to read. Easy to understand. Full of practical knowledge.
Learn from 84 interactive exercises and 228 audiovisual examples from artists like The Beatles, Elton John, Queen, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men, Coldplay, Van Morrison, Adele, Ariana Grande, John Mayer, and many more!
In Hooktheory II, you’ll learn the following skills:
• Composing chords and melody in minor (and other scales).
• Using chord inversions (reordering chord tones) to create effective bass lines.
• Using complex chord types (e.g. 7th chords, extended chords, suspended chords, and “add” chords) to enrich your chord progressions.
• Using secondary chords (chords based on a different key) to create tension.
• Combining melody and chords from multiple scales (modal mixture).
• Utilizing songwriting techniques like energy control, deception, and harmonic scope to control listeners' expectations.
• Simple piano roll notation (sheet music knowledge not required).
• Every concept + technique demonstrated through an actual song.
• 228 audiovisual examples from artists like The Beatles, Elton John, and Queen.
• Reinforce learning at every step with 83 exercises.
• Designed to be used with Hookpad Music Making Software. Hookpad lets you immediately practice every concept and tactic you learn in the books.
To sum it up:
Hooktheory II will teach you all of the essential techniques for crafting effective and compelling chord progressions and melodies. Reading Hooktheory II doesn’t require the ability to read sheet music or any music knowledge outside what was covered in Hooktheory I. On average, it takes about twelve hours to read (but more to fully absorb) so it isn't a huge time commitment. Dedicate only a few days to absorbing this book and gain a lifetime of skills that will give your music that professional edge.
• Made C dorian and C minor scales playable in 6.1
• Made C mixolydian scale playable in 6.2
• Added link to Chord Crush in the side menu.
• Updated Appendix F, the first chapter of Hooktheory I, to version 2.2.0
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing music theory teacher!
While not formally trained in music theory, I’ve been a self-taught student for much of my adult life. Many of the more advanced and abstract concepts have always escaped practicality - until now. Advanced ideas are spelled out in easy to understand ways, but most importantly, the many examples throughout the book demonstrate how to use these tools in a way that makes sense. Bravo! Along with a fantastic writing tool (HookPad) you have made what once seemed complex and out of reach accessible and usable. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Hope you continue to put out more products and fine tune your HookPad. Nicely done! 😎👍
Wait a minute...
I was happy to see that this finally came out. Then I started reading and came across the first example song. Robin Thicke. Are you kidding me? A music theory book that opens with an example by Robin f'ing Thicke???
The rest of the book might be awesome, I don't know, but my review is going to be based on the fact that the authors somehow feel that the songwriting of Robin Thicke is the best way to open the book.
(I'm not a fan of Robin Thicke...)
...however, this IS one of the better functional explanations of some of the more common harmonic mechanisms and how they work. They have developed a nice system for sort of diagramming harmonies and melodies that is backed up with a website with tons of songs broken down for further analysis. It's very well done and I think the app of worth the price.
The musical examples are all very basic, piano only. This is a good thing because it forces you to listen to the harmony, not the song or the tone.
I wish that they used more classic songs and less current music for the examples. Aside from Robin Thicke, there were a bunch of other more games used that I'm not familiar with. It doesn't really matter though, because nearly all of the examples have lessons to be learned whether you know the song or not. Good stuff!
Music producer essentials
Hooktheory 2 is a must read for aspiring music producers and composers. It teachers the fundamentals of 7th chords and secondary chords and how to use them in progressions to create more compelling sounds. Also I was fascinated with learning that you can use chords outside of the scale to truly improve basic chord progressions. I was blow away when I read how to connect baselines with inversions of basic and secondary chords. This app along with Hooktheory 1 has changed the game for aspiring music producers! I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how to make music
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hooktheory LLC Apps
- 124.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Hooktheory LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.