iCircuit is the premier iPad and iPhone app for designing and experimenting with circuits and Arduinos. Its advanced simulation engine can handle both analog and digital circuits and features realtime always-on analysis. It is the perfect companion to students, hobbyists, and engineers.
You use it as you would any CAD program: you add elements, connect them together, and set their properties.
But iCircuit is unlike other CAD programs because it is always simulating. It's just like working with the real circuit. You do not stop to take a measurement or spend a lot of time configuring reports. Instead, you just play with the circuit as you normally would, with the power on!
There are over 300 elements you can use to build your circuits. The app has everything from a programmable Arduino, to simple resistors, to switches, to MOSFETS, to digital gates.
The app features a multimeter that you use to probe around the circuit to instantly read voltages and currents. If you want to see how a value changes over time, then you can add values to the built-in oscilloscope. The scope can simultaneously track many signals over time and features a touch interface to control the total time displayed and stacked and unstacked modes to easily compare signals. The scope can also display the Fourier transform of any signal so that you can see the performance of filters.
Supported elements include:
• Programmable Arduino using a subset of the C programming language
• Programmable PIC controllers using assembly language or hex files
• Signal generators, Voltage sources, Current sources, and Dependent sources
• Resistors, Capacitors, and Inductors
• Manual SPST/SPDT and DPST/DPDT Switches, Push buttons, and Relays
• LEDs, Diodes, BJ Transistors, and MOSFETs, Thermistors
• Triodes and tetrodes
• Audio simulation with Speakers, Microphones, Buzzers, and LEDs
• DC Motors and Servos
• ADCs, and DACs
• Logic gates: AND, OR, NAND, NOR, XOR
• JK and D Flip-flops
• 180 digital ICs from the 4000 and 7400 series
• 78xx and LM317 voltage regulators
• 7-segment and matrix displays
• Antenna with simulated AM and FM signals
You can also create sub circuits to introduce new elements and componentize your designs.
No matter your skill set, you'll be playing with circuits in no time with iCircuit.
Version 1.12.2 improves subcircuits and contains all the new features and bug fixes from the big 1.12 release:
* Diac and Triac
* Varactor and Memristor
* 7401, 7403, 7409, 7411, 7412, 7413, 7415, 7418, 7419, 7420, 7421, 7422, 7424, 7425, 7426, 7427, 7428, 7433, 7434, 7435, 7436, 7439, 7442, 7443, 7444, 7447, 7449, 7450, 7451, 74L51, 7453, 74H53, 7454, 74H54, 74L54, 7455, 7456, 7457, 7458, 7460, 7464, 7465, 7470, 7471, 74H71, 7472, 7473, 7475, 7476, 7477, 7478, 74LS78, 7480, 7481, 7482, 7483, 7484, 7487, 7489, 7491, 7492, 74100, 74101, 74104, 74105, 74107A, 74108, 74109, 74110, 74112, 74113, 74114, 74116, 74118, 74125, 74126, 74128, 74131, 74132, 74133, 74134, 74135, 74136, 74138, 74139, 74140, 74170, 74224, 74244, 74245, 74540, 74541, 744067, 4006, 4008, 4009, 4010, 4012, 4013, 4014, 4015, 4016, 4018, 4019, 4020, 4021, 4022, 4023, 4024, 4025, 4026, 4027, 4028, 4030, 4031, 4032, 4038, 4040, 4041, 4042, 4043, 4044, 4049
* Servo motor
* LED Matrix
* Spark gap and tunneling diodes
* H-Bridge (L293)
* LM358 VCO
* Triode and Tetrode
* Internal Ports
* Buffer and tristate buffer
* Ten segment LED bar graph
* Internal ports
* Wire colors with controllable thickness
* Over-voltage warning on ICs
* Over-power ratings on resistors
* Rotate command to quickly re-orient elements
* Support for expressions on Resistor
* Improved support for Arduino structs and arrays
* Added the Arduino Servo library
* Resistance, Frequency, RMS, PP, Min and Max Voltage measurement mode on Gauge
* Better contrast in the element popup editor
* Dark mode and light mode can now be automatic or manual
* Fix low Ohmic potentiometers
* Official symbol for MOSFETs
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome just needs a few fixes
This app is great. It simulates pretty much everything. There are some missing ics but way more than any other sim I’ve used. The arduino simulator is decent. There are some bugs with certain functions like “sizeof”. Hopefully this gets updated. All in all worth the sticker price. The iOS app is way better than the pc version.
Sounded fun, but it’s a nightmare.
I really wanted to play around with a simulation, but it fights you every step of the way. The settings are barebones, the interface, drawing and deleting fight you EVERY step of the way, you can’t rotate stuff and scaling things is only in one direction, for a barebones list of components they just direct you to the wiki instead of detailing the twenty or so in-app for QoL. This would be a fun $2-5 toy to play around making basic starter boards, but I’d be laughed out of an office if I handed the spaghetti mess that comes out of this to a professional. Eh, at least it was an entertaining thirty minutes for an extreme premium.
Oh yeah, and hats off to the inept technical genius who made it so pressing “undo” keeps undoing thirty minutes of stuff. This UI is a technical dumpster fire.
I’m going to RTFM and give it one last shot later, but that won’t fix the lack of intuitive and intelligent design.
iOS 14.2 completely updated review, M1 too
I’m running this on a 2018 iPad Pro with iOS 14.2 and it runs beautifully. I had to erase my entire previous review because I’ve been using this app for so long and the developer has continued to fix, update, and expand its capabilities. The short version is I use this app to teach advanced high school electronics. It’s so fast and accurate students shift from simulating to breadboarding effortlessly. And when simulation and circuit do not agree it is a wonderful opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot.
Btw, I own this app for my Mac but I just downloaded this (the iOS version) on the new M1 Mac and it runs great there too.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Krueger Systems, Inc.
- 56.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2023 Krueger Systems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- iCircuit Pro (Yearly) $14.99
- iCircuit Pro (Monthly) $1.99