Calca is a powerful symbolic calculator that gives you instant answers as you type. It solves equations and simplifies complex expressions - it's a computer algebra system in your pocket! It's also a rich Markdown text editor so that you can explain your ideas alongside your calculations.
Calca is perfect for professionals and students - anyone who works with numbers and equations. Variables and functions can be created with only a few keystrokes and can be manipulated with a rich library of operators and functions.
Calca updates as you type - just like a spreadsheet. You can declare variables, edit their values and watch everything update before your eyes. Since everything is calculated on the device - no network needed - you get answers instantaneously.
All calculations are stored as plain text so you can easily share them with other editors and move them from device to device. Calca has been designed to work with iCloud documents so all your devices can access your calculations - you'll always have the latest files ready for viewing and editing.
Calca comes with a suite of examples to help you get started covering topics from home mortgages to kinetics. All these examples are fully explained within Calca itself.
Are you still using a desktop calculator? Are you using the calculator with the giant buttons that came with your OS? Computers are much more capable than doing simple one-line arithmetic - put your machine to work with Calca!
• Variables `x = 42`
• Functions `f(c) = 9/5*c + 32` and even recursive functions
• Units `42 mph in kmph` and currency `¥599 in $`
• Solves equations (`x + 2x + 4x = 42`, what is x?)
• Matrices with inverses so you can solve linear equations
• Sum, prod, map, and reduce operations on lists, matrices, and ranges
• Trigonometry and complex numbers
• Derivatives of functions
• Logic operations and if statements
• Binary math (& and |) and support for binary and hex number (`0xA9` and `0b1010`)
• Keeps track of units (m, s, m/s, m/s^2, etc.) so you can verify your equations as you compute
Please visit http://calca.io to see lots of examples. Thank you for looking!
* Updated for iOS 14 and iPadOS 14
* New `mean` and `average` functions for easy data summary
* Fix iPad keyboard thanks to Jon Edlund
* Fix unicode (non-English and Emoji) input thanks to Ivan Savochenko
* Fix dark mode highlighting
* Fix currency updates
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app, just wish there were more frequent updates
I really dig the approach this app takes to text + free-form calculations. I use Markdown all the time, so that's a bonus, but the app really shines in the way it interprets text and functions in-place. It has far more power under the hood than I could ever use so I only have a few surface-level nitpicks:
* Document management on iOS/iPadOs is clunky.
* I still hit occasional crasher bugs.
* I wish the iOS/iPadOS versions were updated more frequently. I don't think it needs to roll in all the latest platform features, but some bug fixes and polish would be nice.
Breaking bug on iPad Pro 12.9 with keyboard
Calca is one of my favorite apps. I use it regularly on my phone, laptop, etc. I desperately wish I could use it on the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard folio.
Unfortunately, in that context, I'm usually trying to total line items under a 'total +=' line. For every line item, when I start typing digits, the app highlights the entry as though I'm cutting / pasting and does not permit me to enter amount normally. I can work around it -- to a degree -- by separating each digit with a non-numeric character, but I usually just give up and go to a different machine.
Hoping the developer will see this and determine what causes / resolves the problem. Huge fan, otherwise, and leaving 5 star review because it works on every other device perfectly.
My go-to app for calculations now.
Calca is my favorite Math program.
The developer's responsiveness on Twitter is amazing.
It has quickly replaced Pacific Tech's Graphing Calculator as my go-to back-of-envelope estimation tool. Soulver never lived long on my Mac or iPhone as the "running total" quickly got on my nerves as being often highly out of context, even for their example support files.
I love how straight-forward Calca is in it's definition of functions and output. I love how well it handles and resolves physical units (so long as unit definitions are declared early).
In a few cases when I got a spinning-beach-ball after mistakenly entering a very large calculation, I just force-quit, and when relaunched, I was only a minute change from recreating my working file again, even though I'd never manually saved the new "untitled" file.
I really appreciate it using built-in OS X document features like auto-saving and iCloud. In hindsight Calca feels more valuable than the price in the Mac and iOS App Stores. If the developer ever releases a paid-upgrade, I will happily be one of his first repeat customers.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Krueger Systems, Inc.
- 22.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2020 Krueger Systems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- 12-Month Optional Patronage $7.99
- 6-Month Optional Patronage $4.99