The Five Minute Journal uses proven principles of positive psychology to make you happier in 5 minutes a day with the guided gratitude journaling format
“There are plenty of benefits to journaling, whether you take time to write out your full thoughts or just spend a few minutes jotting down the things you're most grateful for every day or lessons you've learned. Five Minute Journal for the iPhone makes this process easy enough to do on the go.” — Lifehacker
BENEFITS OF PRACTICING GRATITUDE
Cultivating gratitude can positively impact all areas of your life—from personal growth and emotional intelligence to meaningful relationships and enhanced productivity. A lot of thought leaders practice gratitude (including Oprah Winfrey, Richard Branson, Tim Ferris, and many others), as studies have found it improves health, has lasting positive effects on the brain, and is a key to mental wellbeing.
Practicing gratitude with the Five Minute Journal app brings you a more positive outlook on life and ability to notice wonderful things and capture the life-changing experiences. The key is consistency. With its thoughtful features and a structure to help you focus on what’s good, you will find The Five Minute Journal app to be a great way to start and end your day.
WHAT OUR COMMUNITY IS SAYING
“Not only do I love the simplicity in the design, but the fact that it takes only a minute to update the entries means this is something I’ll actually use. This app really gets you thinking about the positive things right before you start your day.”
FIVE MINUTE JOURNAL APP FEATURES
– Beautiful, Intuitive Journaling Experience: The Five Minute Journal app has been designed to capture the physical Five Minute Journal experience. Getting around the app is a breeze and adding entries is easy with a guided flow for both your morning and evening entries.
– Easy Journal Entry Navigation: Quickly cycle through previous journal entries by scrolling your timeline or by tapping on a specific date in calendar view.
– Guided Journaling Flow & Prompts: A new guided process to help you get the most from your gratitude journal experience.
– Reminders: Set daily notifications to keep up with a rewarding journaling habit.
– Timeline View: Access previous journal entries and view short daily excerpts. Tapping on an entry leads to a full day review.
– Daily Quotes & Weekly Challenges: Receive daily inspiring quotes and weekly challenges, and share them across social media.
– Passcode Protection: Keep all your journal entries private with secure passcode, Face ID or Touch ID protection.
– Dark Mode: Use your journal in either light or dark mode, which is especially great for late night journaling.
– Compatible With Any Device or platform: Use it on iPhone app, iPad app and Apple Watch companion app.
– Streaks: Track your personal progress and get some insights on positive changes in your life.
– Backup/Export: Easily backup your entries and export all your treasured memories and media to PDF, HTML, Dropbox, and more. You can select a date range or export all of them.
Five Minute Journal App offers an optional monthly or yearly subscriptions with free trials or lifetime license.
Here is what you get when you unlock the Premium:
– Photos and Video: Capture and view your magical moments with a daily photo or video. Attach media to any of your daily prompts.
– Personalized Practice: Create your own custom questions, tailored to your mood and goals.
– Space for Notes: Clear your thoughts and write freely in the new notes section.
– Mood tracker: Check in with yourself, express how you feel, and gain insights into how your emotions influence your days.
– Look Back Reminders: Get reminded of your memories with the “On this Day” feature.
– Timeline Photo View: See a photographic timeline view of all your daily photos.
– Widget: Add a thoughtful Five Minute Journal widget to your home screen.
• Fixed incorrect numbering when composing longer journal entries
• Maintenance & stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Honestly the best and worth the money.
You can't put a price on mental wellbeing. I've struggled with horrible depression and anxiety my entire life. Without getting too into it, my husband and I were struggling and even though I take medication that helps, I'm still miserable. I downloaded (6) different 'gratitude journal' apps and disliked them all for a few reasons. Paid for this one, I've only been using it for three days and I love it. It's easily worth the $5 several million times over; no subscription is really cool. The layout and UI makes it easy for even the most depressed folks (like me) to be able to complete this easily and quickly and actually feel better. To me, the little things make this more enjoyable as well. It's easy to type and then press "enter" and it goes to the next number, and it's easy to add a photo. I'd like to be able to add two photos per day but the app is so fantastic the way it is. I usually know within the same day of downloading if I will continue to use an app. This one, I will for sure. Thanks for making it. You're helping people. ♥️
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your detailed review! Happy it is making a difference in your life. If you ever get stuck, feel free to reach out and we'll do our best to keep you on track :)
Objectively, the update is very nice. Considering the chaos of the unexpected and ill prepared update, the loss of access to my account for a week (experienced by many), and the removal of once included features now made premium by a subscription model…the update is pretty bad. I have been a user since 2016 and have adored this app, especially the feature of having a photo for each day. I have raved about it for years, even purchasing and gifting the app to friends. Without a doubt, before this update any review I left would be 5 stars. The developers should graciously show appreciation to longtime users, but currently they have not. In a similar situation years ago, a wellness app I cherished and had used since 2015 changed to a subscription model. In contrast, I opened the app to find I was automatically given a lifetime subscription as a token of appreciation. A page should be taken out of that book. $25 for a lifetime subscription as a longtime user I would consider, but what the current offer is…not so much. Once my one year free trial is expired I have no intention to pay monthly or yearly, even my almost 6 years of journaling could not convince me of that. In the meantime, I will be preparing to move to a different app or leave app based journaling completely. I’m so disheartened that the userbase is being treated this way because of greed by an app that is constructed around gratitude and mindfulness.
Developer Response ,
We’re happy to confirm that your journal entries are safe and sound but it’s likely that you accidentally created a new account using Apple or Google signin. The Five Minute Journal app will not allow you back into your old account if you have accidentally created new accounts under a different sign-in method like through Apple ID or Google. You must delete these new accounts first, before being able to access your existing account. To do this, we ask that you please tap the Account icon on the top bar, select your Account/Profile and confirm the date that you joined. If it shows you have joined this month at the bottom, you can safely delete this duplicate empty account by visiting "Account Security". Keep doing this to any and all new accounts you may have created. This must be done first. Then, you will be able to sign in to your old account, likely via Email + Password, or Facebook, especially if you are a long-time user. Once you are back in, this will give you the option to update your account, import your entries and receive the 12 months of premium for free. Please feel free to email our support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require further assistance. We're happy to help.
I did love this app but…
Update: moved it from 1 stars to 2 because using it more it has slightly grown on me but I’m pretty sure I’m going to change to something else due to its his yearly cost. Hopefully someone provides the simple features and layout of the old app with either a one time fee like this old app was or a lifetime fee option unlike this one.
Ok, I really did love this app back with the old style but then it really changed everything with the recent update. First they added a subscription, now I’m not anti subscription model because you want to reward the developers for their time (and they did offer a 1 yr subscription to all previous owners of their non subscription app which is good) but $25 a year lol really I’m going to pass. A $5.99 or even maybe a $9.99 yearly amount makes sense but this app is not worth $25 a year for something you can do in the note app or other apps do for free one time fee. Finally the new layout is not as simple as the old model. It takes more time to do your journaling which is even more sad then the change to a subscription model. Someone is going to capitalize on their old simple model and offer a one time or lifetime subscription option or a yearly $5 subscription option and will steal consumers from them. I’ll keep it maybe about month to see if I can get use to it but will probably not since I’m not paying $25 a year for this app.
Developer Response ,
We're very sorry to hear of your disappointment with the update. We've worked very hard to implement all sorts of new features that have been requested by users over the years. With all these updates, in order to maintain a sustainable future for the Five Minute Journal app, we did have to make adjustments to the pricing structure. However, as an existing user, you will be eligible for a free one-year subscription to the premium features. We're confident that you will thoroughly enjoy all the new premium features. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email our support at email@example.com. We're happy to help.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Intelligent Change LLC
- 94.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2021 Intelligent Change Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Annual Subscription $24.99
- Annual Subscr (existing users) $24.99
- Monthly Subscription $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.