Play Harry Dresden and his friends as they take on the cases from the bestselling Dresden Files novels in the ultimate what-if scenario—what if Harry was on the scene with allies who weren’t there in the original story? The core game includes Harry, Murphy, Susan, Michael, and the Alphas and plays through the first five novels as well as Side Jobs, a random scenario generator based on the short story collection of the same name. Designs are already well underway for expansions featuring more series characters and more novels.
Number of players: 1-5
Length: 30 minutes
Type of Game: Cooperative
This is the officially licensed version of the tabletop game by Evil Hat.
The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game, the Fate logo, and related images are trademarks of Evil Hat and are ©2016 Evil Hat Productions, LLC. Based upon the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. All rights reserved.
* A player can only draw cards if their draw pile isn't empty. Discards are no longer reshuffled into the draw pile.
* When drawing cards, only draw as many as are available in the draw pile.
* When prompting to pick a character to draw cards, filter out characters with no cards in their draw pile.
* Defeat screen: fixed a bug with the try again button not triggering.
* The 'bug report' and 'dice test' option descriptions are no longer swapped.
* The control to toggle the "don't show this again" option on the book synopsis now also works to turn the toggle off as well as on.
* Dragging cards when viewing zoomed cards now shows the card being dragged when the table is set to use low-detail cards.
* Viewing the next or previous zoomed card when the table is set to use low-detail cards now works correctly.
* Numerous fixes to when the current selection indicator is displayed.
* Achievement and dice roll stats are included in bug reports.
* Consult with Vaderrung now works correctly when using a game controller.
* Foo Dog can only be used if at least one player can discard and at least one player can draw cards.
* Foo Dog will now only allow selecting players to draw cards that actually have cards in their draw pile.
* Timely Assist only allows selecting characters who have cards remaining in their draw pile.
* Timely Assist can only be played if someone has cards in their draw pile.
* The character selection dialog can no longer be canceled with esc/gamepad in instances where selection is required.
* Added cards-in-draw-pile indicator to hero buttons.
* Type-in boxes in Options should now have more robust cross-platform UX.
* Join/Host online games show the correct remote player selections when first starting up.
* In a 2-player networked game, the guest players also see their hand cards during pre-game planning.
* Fixed the layout for the Book Synopsis Dialog on narrow screens.
* In a 2-player network game, the card that was just played/discarded for fate is removed from the table correctly at the time of play instead of waiting to update until that player's next turn.
* When using low-detail cards on the table, cards now zoom in and out using the correct sorting order.
* The selection indicator should no longer show up when viewing defeated foes / solved cases and not using a game controller.
* Updated the character selection dialog so it doesn't look like characters are selected when they aren't.
* Join Private Game and LAN Games screens should now have tab navigation of fields.
* Fixed a typo in the name for selecting French language. It now reads Français instead of Françias.
* Move DNS checks in the direct connect screen to a separate task so it doesn't block during input.
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing digital port!
I know nothing of the books the game is based on but can still proclaim this a really original card game! I love how, unlike most card games, it really feels like some open book test as all of the environmental cards are already there before you as well as the majority of your characters' cards from the start. With the cards in front of you, can you plot the best course of action to best clear the board?
Update: Game Suffers from Fatal Balancing Issue
Update: At 40+ games in, game is still unwinnable (I have two ties). Developer, please add a "winnable game" option. I'd even take it as an IAP. $0.99 for Winnable Games. There just isn't enough Fate to win. Period. This reflects poor balancing and testing, which is unfortunate since this game has such potential.
I am enjoying this game, but I'm not sure why. I am a fan of the books, and I loved the short-lived series, so maybe that's it. I've been playing over and over again on "easy" and I always lose. There just aren't enough cards to burn for fate to finish anything. That, and there appears to be too much luck involved. That could add to replay ability, but 9 out of 10 dice rolls go against me, so it's frustrating.
Ok, removing one star. Any game should be winnable at some point. After more than 20 games I just can't win this game at "easy." Way more frustrating than fun. When constructing a card or board game, one of the most tedious aspects is the testing for balance. This game needed way more testing before being released.
Tough but fun
This is a fantastic co-op card game that feels fun and true to the wonderful book series. This is a tough game so don’t plan to win all of the time of even most of the time. This game requires planning, thought, and a bit of luck to win. This is also a complex enough game that the play works better when you are playing with others instead of using the solitaire mode and trying to remember everything yourself.
RECOMMENDATION: Would be nice to have a single buy option to get all expansions, instead of having to buy each individually.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hidden Achievement, LLC
- 246 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2017 Hidden Achievement LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Expansion 1 - Fan Favorites $3.99
- Expansion 2 - Helping Hands $3.99
- Mouse & Variants $2.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.