Get a head start for you research and finally beat the paper chaos on your desk. With Paperpile you have all your research PDFs in one place — nice and tidy. Paperpile makes it easier than ever to collect, manage, read, and annotate your papers.
FIND & COLLECT
- Search millions of papers from 20,000+ academic journals right in the app.
- Add new papers to your collection with one tap and the PDF will be downloaded automatically.
- Save directly from your browser to your Paperpile library
- User your university's off-campus proxy access to get restricted content behind paywalls.
MANAGE & ORGANIZE
- Bring structure to your library with folders and subfolders
- Organize your library visually with colored labels
- Mark important papers with stars.
- Search your library to find the paper you need fast.
READ & ANNOTATE
- Read like on paper with a fast and slick PDF viewer experience
- Highlight important sections in different colors
- Add notes and never forget an important idea.
- Add hand-drawn annotations - with your fingers or your Apple Pencil
The Paperpile App requires a Paperpile account.
- Show your library faster on the initial sync.
- Better support of phones with a "notch".
- Automatically find the metadata of PDFs that are "Shared with Paperpile".
- Allow direct sharing of PDFs.
- Fixed some issue with PDF downloads.
- Fixed misplaced annotations on certain PDFs.
- Reduce memory usage of the PDF editor.
- Avoid creating duplicate labels or folders.
- Fixed some issues when editing labels or folders.
- Fixed some animations, icons and illustrations.
- Various other fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Best reference manager for scientists
Paperpile today is simply the best reference manager for researchers, having used Mendeley, Papers, Zotero, and BibDesk in the past. All aspects of the experience and the app are polished and functional. Adding new papers, downloading PDFs automatically through your university proxy, annotating / highlighting, and organizing your library all work seamlessly. The citation experience in google docs is excellent even with many users even when not sharing the same paper library. The latex experience via Overleaf could be improved a bit with some kind of automatic BibTex export, but overall it’s better than any of the alternatives. Highly recommended.
Developer Response ,
Thanks, regarding Overleaf and BibTeX export. I hope we have some announcements about this soon 😀. In the meantime, we have put together a short survey on these topics to better understand our users' workflows and use cases:
Best reference manager + editor
Have you struggled deciding between Zotero, Mendeley, Endnote on the one hand, and Adobe Reader, Notability, LiquidText on the other? Have you wished there was an app that allowed for the editing flexibility of the latter apps, while retaining an organized version of your literature review? Well... look no further. This app is just excellent. Ever since I discovered it, I immediately jumped into the beta version and it has been a blast. I’m so happy to see it now open for everyone else.
I would recommend to everyone who is into academia or research. Amazing!
Love Paperpile though slightly frustrated with the iPad app
Have loved Paperpile ever since I’ve been in undergrad; it has been my go to reference manager and pdf annotator for years! I was so excited to see the app come to iOS, though I am seeing some issues with going back and forth from the iPad version and the web version. My annotations do not sync properly between the two. Paragraphs I highlighted on one are in complete different places on the other! Makes taking notes a little difficult. Hopefully this problem will be fixed soon, but I am so excited to see the app grow, and would recommend it to anyone !
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Paperpile LLC
- 230.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Paperpile LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.