Grocery is the smartest and fastest grocery shopping app. Keep your list sorted while you shop with syncing support for iCloud and Reminders. Easily add shopping list items from Siri and Recipes.
** App Store iOS App of the Day - January 23rd 2021**
** MacStories Must-Have iOS Apps - 2018 **
"Extra navigational steps, like remembering where you are in a list or backtracking through a store because of the order on paper, can really push a person over the edge if going to the store is their current 'Impossible Task'. They might opt for leaving with only half of their items, or just not go at all…which can project this task into the future, always a little unfinished or uncertain. Grocery reduces steps needed in the moment, and provides that little bit of joy every time an item is checked off the list in the UI. Knowing that I just made the future better, by going to the store and checking things off the list and improving the sorting algorithm! This is actually a huge relief: reduced doomsday feelings because I know that future store runs are going to be even easier/better because of what I did today (yay positive agency)!" - Amelia W.
- Key Features -
• Share your lists with partners and add items to your list on iCloud!
• Grocery keeps your list in Reminders so sharing a list is as simple as sharing your calendar.
• Importing recipes from Safari is lightning fast.
• Create recipes in Grocery for quickly adding ingredients to your shopping list.
• An intuitive cooking experience with planned meals from your library of recipes.
• Always know what items are in your pantry and when they expire with Inventory Tracking!
- Reminders -
• Add items to your list on Mac or iCloud Reminder's apps
• Share your list by sharing a Reminder's list with others
- Siri -
• Tell Siri: "Add Eggs to my Grocery list"
• Create Siri Shortcuts to quickly add groups of items
- Lightning Fast -
• Custom auto-complete with your list items and notes
- Sorting -
• Grocery learns every time you shop
• Keeps track of the order you mark off items to sort your list next time
- Multiple Stores -
• Add a Store for every place that you shop
• Associate lists with stores based on how you want to shop at multiple locations
• Assign geofences that change the selected store wherever you go
- Recipes -
• Recipe files are stored in iCloud Drive and sync between all your devices
• Innovative Markdown Recipe format optimized for cooking on mobile phones
• Automatically detects timers in recipe steps
- CleanUp -
• “12 oz of Chocolate Chips” becomes “Chocolate Chips: 12 oz”
• Detect multiple or duplicated items
- CoreML -
• CleanUp can use a custom CoreML model to recognize item titles and notes
- Backup & Data -
• Your list is always stored in Reminders for easy backup or access outside of Grocery
• Grocery will never modify your other Reminders lists
- Quick Add -
• Quick Add uses your shopping history to suggest items you frequently shop for.
• It's great for adding frequently shopped for items to your grocery list.
- Syncing -
• iCloud syncing makes using Grocery across Mac and iOS devices seamless and easy.
• Households share your stores, shopping history, planned recipes, pantry status, and all premium features with family members!
• Keep track of all the items in your pantry
• Automatic expiration and replenishment settings
Grocery Premium is charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Your Account will be charged the same price for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription’s one-year period. Your subscription renews automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions or cancel auto-renewal at any time on your Account Settings in the App Store.
This is a huge update for Grocery! The app is getting a modern redesign with support for many of the latest platform design features. Toolbars and navigation bars now feature a nice blur effect and seamless background colors. Context menus are available on almost every control in the app for super quick interactions and extra options. Scaling to larger and smaller device sizes has been improved as well.
** Grocery 3.0.0 introduces a modern redesign, price & quantity tracking, toolbar customization, and much more! **
- Improved toolbars, icons, quick action menus, colors, and typography for the whole app
- Every screen of the app has been overhauled to improve consistency and performance across the app
- Super-fast store switching
Light Mode is Free
- By popular request, an improved light mode is free and available to everyone
Price & Quantity
- Quickly add price and quantity to list items
- Track changes between shopping trips
Inventory Tracking Improvements
- In-stock quantity tracking
- Default shopping notes and units
- Item descriptions
- Move an item to the next trip
- Change which actions appear in the toolbar, more menu, and item context menu
Recipe Text Scanning
- Use the scan text feature with a camera to quickly add text to a recipe
Smart Sort Improvements
- SmartSort should be a lot smarter at ordering items that were shopped for on different trips
- A completely re-written user guide offers help with everything from setting up stores to creating recipes
Paste Bug is Fixed
- Finally fixed an issue preventing Paste from working reliably throughout the app
- Fixed an issue with iCloud syncing that would break syncing if iCloud data was reset for the app
- Fixed an issue with opening the app via URL Schemes
- Fixed several issues changing between color themes
- Fixed an issue where the store title didn’t update after switching between stores
Thank you for using Grocery! If you enjoy the app, please tell a friend or leave a review.
Ratings and Reviews
Learning Curve, Problems Pasting
So after fiddling with the app a bit, there definitely is a learning curve, though thankfully not a huge one. I love the feature to basically have recipes and to add all ingredients to the shopping list! I also like that the premium content can be purchased with a one time payment and has the inventory feature so I can record when things expire.
The only real issue i encountered is it seems as though you can’t paste words into the app when making a Step or Note for some reason. Honestly would be really handy to fix or add since it would make moving recipes over much easier.
Some features i would like to see are:
1. Syncing through the app itself and not requiring Reminders. I know Out of Milk does this somehow and it’d be great if this App could do it too.
2. A section in the Lists section to add a link to the weekly ads for grocery stores.
So much potential...
I have tried over 40+ grocery/shopping apps, and this app has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. It’s feature rich and has some great functionality. However, like most app developers, use-case and actual usability seem to be an afterthought—which is paramount for any successful app. Features mean absolutely nothing without that! The sync function fails consistently and is poorly planned. I’m required to manually force a sync to iCloud and pull data from iCloud to update shared data on other devices. As a result... we have abandoned use for family and sync function. I have tested this with multiple devices and new data and all problems are easily reproducible. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled to confirm the short list of issues. There is a definitely learning curve, which could be easily remedied.
Emails to developer confirm that you are likely to not get a response, another failed use-case example. It’s easy to open a free support & ticket tracking system to receive the list of issues to be prioritized and worked on, establish a roadmap for features, and get this back on track. I hope that the developer takes this app seriously for future updates, enhancements, and builds up its potential. Again, because it truly has SO MUCH POTENTIAL.
Set up is confusing
I’ll preface by saying I’ve just downloaded the app and am working through setup, so some more noodling on my part may make things clear. But initial impression is that Store setup is confusing AF. Instructions are minimal and written from the perspective of someone already intimate with the workings of the app. Somehow I wound up with two iCal DAV entries (or maybe two Reminders entries... It’s, like I said, confusing AF). Trying to do a grocery list and it appears as though the second store I set up has become a kind of master store, underneath which the first store I set up is like a sub-store. Like I said, it’s confusing AF. Better instructions are needed, or perhaps, better presentation of stores. Good rules of thumb for instructions: 1) Assume the user does not have a high-level conceptual understanding of your app. The user didn’t design it, so won’t be intimate with the consequences of choosing setup options. 2) Include a how-to guide, with step-by-step instructions, rather than a 10,000-ft level overview of the process.
Update: cancelled subscription, deleted app. The interface with Reminders makes zero sense. I deleted the two stores I had initially set up so I could start over to understand the set up process. To my surprise, a whole other category of Reminders (all geo-fenced reminders with names of fav servers/bartenders at my favorite establishments) showed up as a Store/List. What the fuuu...??
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Conrad Stoll
- 18.6 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2017 Conrad Stoll
- In-App Purchases
- Grocery Premium $9.99
- Grocery Premium - Monthly $3.99
- Grocery Premium - Forever $29.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.