Make sense of the latest global news with The Economist app.
Each week over 1.5m subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them by downloading The Economist app.
Free to download, the app includes The Economist today, a handpicked daily selection of the best of our journalism, along with the full weekly version of The Economist newspaper to read or listen to on the go.
Subscribe in-app today and take advantage of our introductory subscription offer.
Already a subscriber to The Economist? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist.com login details.
The Economist is an award-winning, trusted filter on global affairs, offering in-depth analysis of everything from business, finance and politics to science, technology and economics. It covers every region of the world including the United States, Britain, Europe, Asia and Latin America. The Economist is also available as a weekly magazine.
The Economist Today: a daily selection of seven articles, combining news analysis with highlights from the weekly issue
Economist Espresso: a short morning briefing on the day’s global agenda
The Economist weekly edition: full access to the weekly version of The Economist
The audio version of the weekly edition to listen to on the go
A selection of our podcasts, including The Intelligence, a daily burst of illumination from The Economist’s worldwide network of correspondents
A morning briefing on the day ahead
Timely analysis of the world’s biggest stories, updated by the end of the day
The weekly edition available from 9 pm every Thursday evening London time
Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
Reading times highlighted on each article
Bookmarks to save articles for later or create personal reading lists
Subscribe in-app and take advantage of our introductory subscription offer.
At the end of the introductory term, the subscription will automatically renew onto a quarterly subscription at the standard price. Annual subscriptions are also available
You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes. Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
All subscriptions automatically renew. Your account will be charged 24 hours before the renewal date, at a cost of £55.99/$55.99/€85.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £199.99/$189.99/€299.99 (for an annual subscription)
You can cancel your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time but you must turn off auto-renewal at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again
- Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent app, but...
I absolutely love the redesign and consolidation of the various economist apps into one. The only issue I’m having is the ability to access the current edition on Friday morning (central-time USA reader here) - though it shows that there is a new “current edition”, it sometimes takes upwards of thirty minutes for the app to properly register the new edition. Whenever I tap it, it just takes me back to last week’s release. Also, the auto-download feature of the new audio doesn’t seem to ever work for me.
Other than those minor inconveniences, I have no complaints! Keep up the great work and reporting!
Please fix audio playlist customisation.
I used to love listening to The Economist audio edition until a particular feature was removed. I used to be able to organise my audio playlist in a specific order; the world this week, then the business section, then finance, and afterwards a few select articles chosen among the remaining sections. I was able to go through the edition and organise everything once, then start and stop listening with the confidence that the playlist remained in the order I prioritised.
Now whenever I add to the audio playlist it's always ordered in the way The Economist is (The World This Week, Leaders, Letters, etc) and I can arrange the playlist to my priority, which I used to do for the past few years....now I don't even want to bother with The Economist at all since I now have to either keep track of what I listened to manually and/or keep adding/removing to the playlist in order to listen while I'm doing other tasks. Very unfortunate. It would be VERY much appreciated if the feature to customise the order of the audio playlist is made available once again. Thank you.
Improving but still poor for offline access.
- I wish I could download all the images in advance for offline access, like I can for the text and the audio, and like I could with the classic app. At least the image streaming works better after the latest fixes. It is a huge data hog and increased my phone bill, so streaming over cellular isn’t a good option for me.
- Audio needs a bit of love. Needs a 1.25x setting which would be the sweet spot for speed of playback. It frequently starts playing at the wrong speed. 15-second skip back should be the default back button for use in my car, rather than skip to the previous article. Narration sounds good.
- It remembers where I was reading, but only one article... I can’t swipe to the next one in the weekly.
- When re-finding my place, Clicking on the hamburger menu to find sections and then clicking on the section often doesn’t work. Other times the section headers are rendered offscreen, maybe after switching from landscape to portrait mode.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 57.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2019
- In-App Purchases
- One year subscription $189.99
- Three month subscription $55.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.