Download the SmarTrip® app to pay for Metro and other public transit services in the Washington, DC area. Whether you're a new rider or a regular commuter, having SmarTrip® on iPhone or Apple Watch is the safer, more convenient way to pay.
IT'S TAP and GO TIME!
With SmarTrip® on iPhone you can:
- Add a new SmarTrip® card to Apple Wallet for a tap-and-go experience on Metro. (If you already have a SmarTrip® card, you can move it to Apple Wallet in seconds without adding a new card.)
- Pay for any rail or bus trip using your iPhone or Apple Watch. Anywhere SmarTrip® is accepted!
- Check your balance, add money, or set up Auto Reload. You'll never have to use a fare vending machine again!
- Manage your account, check SmartBenefits, or register a card.
- Buy money-saving unlimited transit passes anywhere, any time.
- Pay for parking at any Metro-operated facility.
With SmarTrip® in your Apple Wallet, your iPhone or Apple Watch is your new way to pay, anywhere SmarTrip® is accepted in and around DC!
The latest version of this app contains bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
2 stars for the clean User Interface. But Anyone who rates this App above three stars must just be thrilled with the newness of not having to navigate their mediocre website after waiting 10+ years for an app.
Downloaded in March '21, and had a problem the first day:
1. All Day Pass ($13) was on hold and unusable for days, then randomly applied over a week later (&apathetic cust. svc)
2. Critical Instructions for managing& loading passes & $ to smartrip are missing, obscured, & convoluted.
3. At least 3 x, Glitches caused "add stored value" to be unavailable until reported to cust svc
4. Sometimes the card readers don't detect the correct balance or requires excessive tapping
5. Auto-Load glitch quadrupled the amount withdrawn from my bank/credit card
6. No ability to transfer balance btwn cards (THIS SHOULD BE TOP PRIORITY after basic adding value/ passes.
7. Completely Non-working or extremely cumbersome functions like "add a favorite line or station" -- just remove until they work!!!
8. IF YOU CONTACT CUST SVC WITHIN THE APP, the customer/ card& phone info should AUTO POPULATE INTO THE FORM OR EMAIL -OR- INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE --:
9. We shouldn't have to wait 4+ days to be contacted by Jamie to say: please provide XYZ Info.
10. Something else but it slipped my mind
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughtful and detailed feedback. We truly appreciate your suggestions and our mobile app team is reviewing your insights. When adding your favorite line or station make sure you click the "heart" next to it so that it is added to your home screen. For a faster customer service response, you may chat with us at wmata.com/chat weekdays 7a-7p or call 1-888-762-7874. Also, the phone needs to be 2-3 inches away from the reader. You should not pull it away from the reader until the gate opens or the bus display reads the card. Again, we value your review and thank you for riding with Metro. -KB
Not great for DC visitors
First a disclaimer, I was trying to manage multiple SmarTrip cards for family members so I couldn’t use my phone as a ticket, I needed to keep them separate. We bought cards at a subway station. I added them all to my account and named the cards for the people carrying each one. Worked fine. But I noticed the balances were often wrong and the disclaimer in the app says subway charges take up to 4 hours and bus charges take up to two days to show in the app, so you really can’t use the app to monitor your balance. When our balances got low I went online and added funds to each card because you can’t add money in the app, only in Apple wallet which I wasn’t using. I didn’t need to use it until roughly 24 hours later, and when I did the cards still had zero balances. I had to add funds at a fare machine. I asked a helpful security guard about it and he told me funds purchased online take up to 72 hours to post. I had to contact my credit card company and contest the charges since I wouldn’t get the funds until after I left town. Also note that the minimum purchase online is $10, but no minimums exist for purchase made at fare machines. If you want to manage your balance to $0, like I did, you are better off paying for fares at machines. The app wasn’t helpful in my situation at all.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us & we are happy that you took the time to try out our app during your visit. We will share your report with our mobile app team for review and possible improvements. We would like to clarify that the app is not used to go through the faregates. You do need Apple Wallet to scan through the gate for each person. We are a card-based system so each person over the age of 5 needs their own card to go through the system. You can load up to 12 cards on one iPhone at a time but each person would need to be scanned through or have their own digital card on Apple Wallet. If you are traveling from out of town it is best to use the SmarTrip app to purchase your digital card for Apple Wallet but you would be using Apple Wallet for the remainder of your trip to add value and ride the train. Our app is an extension to our website so there are processing times as you shared above for purchases. To use your value immediately, you would need to add the value through Apple Wallet. The app is fantastic for viewing upcoming trains, planning a trip, beginning your digital card purchase, and managing the cards on your account but you will need Apple Wallet to ride the system. -KB
Not useful unless you’ve planned far in advance
I am visiting DC for the weekend and wanted to use public transportation. The account setup takes forever - you can’t use payment unless you have an account, otherwise the app is just a route planner, which is fine. But if you are trying to download this to say, pay for a train or bus ticket that’s coming soon, this is not a good option.
Based on the description of the app here and on the website, I thought I could use this app to pay for bus trips (like in Seattle). Apparently not? This app is just a way of storing SmarTrip cards you already have? And forget it if your balance is low but you need to take the bus - the reload screen warns you it could take 2 days for the money to show up on your account for a bus and 4 hours for rail. What’s the point? My Starbucks app does instant reload on stored cards, why can’t this?
If you plan everything well in advance or have auto load set up, this is probably a great app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. You can pay for bus and rail rides with the Mobile App however, the app is card-based. We are sharing your feedback with our Mobile App team for further review and to improve the functionality of the app. -KA
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authory
- 52.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.