Colloquy for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch puts the power of the most popular IRC client for the Mac in the palm of your hand. Built atop the Chat Core framework, Colloquy Mobile is a full featured client optimized for the on-the-go experience with iOS multitasking support.
• Support for retina devices, including iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Pro.
• Support for iOS multitasking with local notifications and split-screen support.
• Push notifications when using a compatible push bouncer.
• Convenient nickname and emoticon completion popups.
• Support for all the common IRC commands with completion.
• Organized Colloquies view that shows all your conversations and rooms at a glance.
• Highlights messages (and optionally vibrates) when your specific words or nickname is mentioned.
• Highly customizable interface and behavior settings within the Settings application.
• Visual display of user information (WHOIS) for any user.
• Full support for landscape mode in the entire application.
• Stays connected while iPhone is locked and when SMS alerts appear.
• Searchable room member list.
• Support for SASL authentication (required when connecting to Freenode over the cell network.)
• A console for every connection.
• Support for ignoring annoying users.
• Multiple message styles to choose from.
• Fully compatible with mIRC colors and formatting.
• Large selection of graphical emoticons.
• Allows you to join multiple chat rooms across many different servers.
• Automatic identification with network services (NickServ).
• Notification of common server errors as easy to understand alerts.
• Automatically join rooms and send commands upon connect.
• Solid support for secure connections over SSL and TLS.
• Full support for room and connection text encodings.
• Full IRCv3 compatibility, including the IRCv3.2 standard.
• Open minded and Open Source, like it should be.
We can't provide support here to people leaving reviews, as much as we want to. We also can't discuss feature requests, since there is no way to reply to you here. If you have a problem or suggestion, please visit us in #colloquy-mobile on irc.freenode.net, click the support link below, or email us at email@example.com.
- Improve reliability when registering for push notifications
- Small performance improvements when connecting to bouncers
- Fix issue where chat previews could disappear
Ratings and Reviews
Full of bugs
This mobile version of Colloquy is very different from the desktop version. This mobile version is barely usable. Below is a list of bugs I frequently encounter each time I use it.
• Display bug where console window bar will be drawn as a duplicate channel window bar. Clicking on a bar to reopen and return seems to force it to redraw properly
• Display bug where duplicate user names are listed in channel
• Bug that prevents private messaging a user in channel - app believes user is offline when they are clearly online.
• Bug that prevents a whois on a user that has joined a channel if selected from chat window - app believes user is offline, however console displays whois info just fine. Workaround is to select user from user listing instead of chat window.
• Bug that draws first two or three lines in a private conversation above visible space. Must swipe pull down private chat window to read. Even the preview next to user name bar does not properly display the text hidden above
• Random bug where message and channel bars become locked and are unselectable. A workaround is to “open a console” to unlock this condition, this works even if console window is already open
At its current state, I cannot recommend this app - save your money. There are likely other IRC apps that work better than this.
Slowest IRC client I've ever used
The app seems like a wonderful idea… Until you try to use it to connect to a chat room. Worked very well on older versions of iOS. The developers really need to do some work to keep it current. Sometimes, it takes me up to an hour to connect to a chat room… Where as with any other client, or via the web, I connect instantly.
Yes, iOS 13 broke it
I’ve been using this client for many years and it worked perfectly! Up until iPadOS 13. It no longer scrolls automatically to show new messages when the screen is full.
Also (and I think this is more of an issue with iPadOS, but I’m still going to mention it just in case), when using Colloquy in split screen/multitasking (chat on the right, Safari on the left), I can’t browse/scroll Safari on the left-hand side and keep the cursor “live” in the chat on the right-hand side. I have to tap on the chat side to be able to type anything again. I used to be able to type whenever I wanted with my connected keyboard while still scrolling the internet with my finger on the left.
Just very inconvenient all around now, which has pushed me to stop using this app on my iPad. I have to pull out my laptop and use the program on there, which is annoying.
I’m still giving this 3 stars because it’s served me well for so many years. But I wanted to write this review to let the developers know that some features aren’t working any longer and to hopefully get an update!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.