The Logbook App is an automated electronic logbook on your iPhone. Logbook can automatically fill out your vessel's log, or you can manually enter data as well. Though Logbook is designed by sailors for sailors, a powerboat owner will find it worthwhile as well.
# Automatically add information to your Logbook while you enjoy sailing.
# Automatic weather information added to each log entry:
- overall weather (sunny, rain, fog, etc)
- barometric pressure (also from iPhone 6 barometer possible)
- wind direction and speed
- degree of cloudiness
- air temperature
- water temperature
- wave height
# Additional data fields for each log entry (added automatically):
- Course Over Ground (COG)
- Speed Over Ground (SOG)
- Position in WGS84 coordinates and as text (nautical geoencoded see below)
- GPS accuracy
- Engine hours
- Chip log
# Automatic Position Recognition (i.e., "2.4 nm south of Cape Savudrija")
# additional fields
#Add pictures to you log records
# Local sunrise and sunset times
# Measure the vessel's angle of heel and add to Logbook with one click
# Watch your colored (based on speed) track in the map
# Amazing navigation lights quiz
# Data can be exported
- as KML
- as PDF
- as GPX
- as CSV (e.g. for Excel)
- or as SQLite for database developers.
# Checklists for safety briefing and packaging
Please Note: the background auto-logging feature will enable the GPS to run in the background, dramatically reducing battery life. It is recommended that your iPhone be plugged in for this operation. Red borders in the app will indicate that this feature is enabled in order to remind you.
Please visit the website for more screenshots and more information about Logbook. Thanks!
- Boat type printed also on 1 PDF page when exporting
- Logook Sync option to download all pending records in one go. (Settings > Logbook Sync > button on bottom)
- New fuel option kWh
- Polish translation (Thanks Cezary)
- NMEA: Support for more than 9 data fields in a VHW sentence
- NMEA: MWV sentences supports now different sub configurations (relative to north or bow)
- Compliance logbooks did not work with some special days run configurations
Ratings and Reviews
Great app. Must to keep your memories.
No app like this in the market. Love it but instead of listing all the good stuff I will submit my wish list.
Ways to improve the great app
I like to know my sail plan to calculate polars, track sail wear and understand the need of my headsails. To that end I would like to be able to input: Genoa (100%, 1 reef, 2 reef, 3 reef, furled) staysail (same setting sas Genoa ), asymmetrical (up or down), reacher (up or down), mainsail (same as Genoa). The status of the sails should follow through records tountil changed. One should be able to change via Apple Watch. Please note I frequently have two headsails flying.
Also able to select certain sailing styles
Wing on wing, hove to, twin headsails,Bare polled
I would like a table after every trip of 3hr, 12hr, and 24hr records of all good stats. Distance traveled, ave wind speed etc.
Allow up to 5 photos per log entry. Now it is one.
End of voyage stats by sail plan
More nmea data
engine rpm, ocean current, go crazy do a ton
Have freeform text come after relevant entry not at the end.
For multi day trips have the 24 map appear throughout the log book.
Every 24 hours have a stat section.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the praise and your improvement suggestions! 🙏 You sent me also an email with your ideas, which I answered already, let's stay in contact via email to follow up on the topics!
Good app but missing key features…
Good app but its surprisingly missing some key features of a true log book. First, no ability to add notes to a log entry such as how the mood is aboard, notes about a particular anchorage, comments about the voyage so far. Second, you can’t modify the “status” of entries so you can’t add an entry that you’ve docked the vessel, rafted up with a buddy boat, or anything other than the cookie cutter options coded into the app so there is no good way to signify in the log that you’ve ended the trip. Third, there is a “maintenance” section but no way to add maintenance items that need to be performed or completed. Over all the app needs more ability for users to customize entries, notes, details, and lists. Like most apps out there it’s close but doesn’t quite come through and wow you. It’s almost like the author got bored and quit before it was finished. At $15 you should think twice about what you want from this app. If you just want something to capture your lat-long and heading then it’s okay, but if you are a true boater/sailor at heart and are used to keeping a true log book this app, like most, falls short.
Developer Response ,
1. You can add notes. In fact to each log entry. Of course they show also up in the exported formats like PDF. I could imagine you accidently created a 'locked' logbook where you can only adjust logs up to 5 minutes after they are created, because in regular logbooks there is no limitation at all.
2. Of course you can change the status of each record! Also retrospectively. Actually you can change all values afterwards if you like. But again you obviously created unintentionally a 'locked' logbook, this is not the default setting, but in this mode you can't change anything after 5 minutes. (Some users like it that way)
3. Maintenance section. Of course you can add maintenance items! It is actually designed for exactly doing that! You can also assign due dates, filter for specific maintenance items and so on. Maybe this is again the same missunderstanding you had with topic 1 & 2. It is also well described on my website how it works. Go on my website, click the top menu > More > Maintenance Records.
4. I'm sad you have the feeling I'm bored and stoped to enhance the app. The change log of the app should proof that this is not the case. I regularly implement new features and track all feature requests from users on my website.
5. Please contact me directly if you believe something is not working or missing. I'm always happy to improve the app! Go in the app to Settings > Support, there are several ways to contact me directly before posting in the App Store Reviews.
We use this app every single time we head out on our 35 foot Beneteau sail boat. We have compiled a solid reference of all the places we’ve traveled an lot of valuable statistics.
The other great thing is that Florian (developer of the app) will get back to you personally - promptly - to answer any question you might have.
I highly recommend this app.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Florian Kriesche
- 57.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Croatian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Florian Kriesche
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.