Signal Generator is an app that produces audio test tones. The basic app produces sine waves, and it can be extended and customized (via in-app purchases) to produce white noise, pink noise, frequency sweeps, and (on iPhone 4 and better) square waves, sawtooth waves, and triangle waves.
• Free Tone Generator. The app includes a free sine wave generator that generates signals from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a 48 kHz sample rate, 16-bit samples, and 96 dB of dynamic range. Frequency control via logarithmic knob or keyboard input.
• Pro Tone Generator. (Optional in-app purchase). Extends the frequency range down to 1 Hz, and adds stereo control and buttons to increment the frequency in steps. Anti-aliased square waves, sawtooth waves, and triangle waves are generated with aliasing kept to -54 dB or less.
• Noise Generator. (Optional in-app purchase). Produces white noise, pink noise, and brown noise. Pink noise falls off at 3 dB per octave (±1 dB). Brown noise falls off at 6 dB per octave. Option for stereo uncorrelated noise, or mono correlated noise.
• Frequency Sweeps. (Optional in-app purchase). Adjustable start and stop frequencies. Linear or logarithmic sine wave frequency sweeps. Single shot sweeps, repeating upward sweeps, and upward/downward sweeps.
This app can be used to:
• Test Speakers and Headphones
• Balance your Home Theater System
• Tune Your Car Audio System
• Mask Environmental Noise
• Burn In Headphones
• Tune Musical Instruments
Play/pause function is independent of gain settings.
Frequency sweep time extended from 0.2 to 60 seconds.
Noise source can be set to correlated (mono) or uncorrelated (stereo).
Frequency range boundaries conform to ISO frequencies.
Ratings and Reviews
I have been dabbling with some sound experimentation on various media. One of the functions is sustaining a steady tone to measure heat out put. This app makes setting that up very quick and painless (by painless I mean I use my watch to control the volume at a distance)
Anywho, almost rated 4 stars due to toggling the dials get cumbersome when manually sweeping. I was messing around in my trucks audio and would slowly increase output but found myself having to reset my finger on the dial. Maybe sliders instead of dials?
Otherwise perfect for any application where noise, tones, or sweeps are needed to adjust voltage, gains, or other audio needs.
Tone Generator put to the test
I started with the free tone generator and realized that this app was awesome when it came to analyzing audio amplifiers. I used a Tektronix scope and found that this generator is cleaner and more accurate than the lab unit that I have at work. Since then, I have purchased all of the additional generators offered within the app, and let me just say that they all rival or exceed the pro commercial ones that my sound lab has purchased for equipment evaluations not to mention what each unit cost when originally purchased. This app is truly amazing. You will love using this app on all kinds of amplifiers, and speakers, as well as evaluating headsets.
Fabulously simple and functional
Love this app. The easy tog wheel for tones and sweeps is great. I do suggest and would love to see a bit more for pink noise generation. Correlated vs Uncorrelated for example and if it had 1/3 octave or possibly frequency limited pink noise generation it would be outstanding! Especially for Acoustics tuning in stereo domain with a DSP. I’ve also heard other pink noise generators or wav or flac files that seem to have more output at 0db so don’t know if the PN Generator is 0db at full tilt on the dial. So a suggestion to please consider.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Media Punk Studios LLC
- 13.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Media Punk Studios
- In-App Purchases
- Tone Generator Pro $2.99
- Noise Generator $2.99
- Sweep Generator $2.99