VOR Tracker is a small but powerful training tool for pilots. It is the only one of its kind for the iPhone & iPad, providing the real aircraft feel which the other apps are missing!
VOR Tracker is a real IFR simulation, so you will find no multiple choice questions or abstract explanations. You can actually practice IFR procedures in real time, using either a RMI or HSI. Wherever you are, IFR training is only two taps away!
Practice holding patterns, DME arcs, radial interceptions and 2 needle tracking. It is practice what it is all about! There is no need for explaining again and again what you already know from flight school. It is about applying your knowledge when the flight instruments start moving!
Chose between a VOR and NDB and get used to the different characteristics. The NDB comes with atmospheric disturbances and an adjustable dip error to match the instrument you are used to.
Don’t waste your time trying to imagine what you would do in the aircraft – just do it!
VOR Tracker is designed for:
- Student pilots who have the theoretical knowledge needed for flying IFR procedures, and want to save money by preparing for their pilot training
- Pilots who want to refresh their lateral IFR navigation skills for an upcoming check ride
- Pilots going for an assessment. Holding patterns and radial interceptions are commonly used during sim assessments and can really spoil the day. Being prepared will make the difference!
- People who have the knowledge of flying IFR procedures and want to give it a try
VOR Tracker is NOT:
- a game
- a flight simulator, it focuses on HSI/RMI navigation at a constant speed and altitude
- a flight training course teaching you how to fly IFR procedures
Still interested? Read on to find out what VOR Tracker is capable of.
- Choose between RMI or HSI
- Use the instrument like you would do in the real aircraft
- Use the map mode to verify your progress
- Lost? Use the help function to display the holding pattern entries in the map mode
- Things are going a bit too fast? Use the freeze mode to orientate
- Getting bored in straight flight? Use the fast mode
- You want to start over or change the aircraft’s position or heading? Just drag & drop, or twist the aircraft symbol
- Practice a particular holding pattern or radial interception exercise over and over again from new, random starting positions using the reposition button
- Start with no wind and increase the difficulty later on by adding wind
- Getting settled? Why not increase the aircraft’s speed in the settings menu?
- Customize your own missions and adjust the wind the way you want
- Use the hidden wind function to add a realistic challenge
- Analyze your progress in the map mode. Rewind and start over. The original track line will still be displayed for proper comparison
- Share your flights! Post your missions on Facebook or Twitter, send them to a friend, or add them to your study notes
Prepare yourself without wasting expensive flight time – use VOR Tracker to brush up your IFR skills!
VOR Tracker is the most efficient trainer for holding patterns and radial interceptions available on the App Store.
Supporting you during your IFR training, it will pay for itself in no time - promise!
Minor bug fix, improved performance
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Very good. Wish I had it at UPT many years ago
This is a nice way to practice VOR navigation without all the setup of a flight sim. I really like the way the authors built the app and it is helping me get my head back in the game before applying to the airlines after a few years of not flying. I would ask for the ability to do user-defined patterns, and patterns away from the VOR on a radial/DME where I have to do a fix-to-fix as well as determine entry method. If you add those things it will really be almost perfect. I also notice that even when I've corrected to a perfect 1:00 inbound leg and am turning a standard rate turn to perfectly align with the inbound leg, the map shows my pattern as wide and long. Please adjust the holding pattern depiction to show the aircraft remaining within the protected airspace if I am flying within the AIM limits. Other than those desires this I really a helpful app!
Thank you. This has been an excellent learning aide and refresher. I can’t imagine how much air work this has avoided.
Update: I don’t think I have ever added an update to a review. This app is so helpful. I’m now doing my multi engine and will do an IPC. This great for getting back up to speed without setting foot in the airplane. My only wish is that the developers add more features. Like full approaches, including an ILS. Best software purchase I have ever made. Sincere thanks.
Developer Response ,
We are very glad to hear that, thank you! There is more planned, so stay tuned...
Most helpful training app.
There are a lot of training apps out there and unfortunately I’ve purchased my fair share. In my opinion this is the one I come back to you most often. It’s easy to use, but it definitely challenges you so you can calibrate your brain to interpret the needles. The author has done an excellent job with this app. I would echo other comments that it would be great to see even more scenarios. Money well spent.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Karsten Heiland
- 53 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Karsten Heiland & Logikwerk GmbH
- In-App Purchases
- EHSI - Combined RMI & HSI $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.