Imaging Edge Mobile allows images/videos to be transferred to a smartphone/tablet, enables remote shooting, and provides location information to images captured by a camera.
■ Transfer images from a camera to a smartphone
- You can transfer images/videos.
- The selection and transfer of images after shooting are no longer needed as the automatic background transfer function allows images to be transferred to a smartphone as they are captured. *1
- High bit rate video files including 4K can be transferred. *2
- You can view and transfer images in your camera from your smartphone even when the camera is turned off. *2
- After transferring, you can immediately share your high quality images on social networks or through email.
*1 See here for supported cameras. Files are imported in 2MP size when using this function.
*2 See here for supported cameras. Availability of video transfer and playback varies depending on smartphone in use.
■ Remote shooting of a camera using a smartphone
- You can capture photos/videos remotely while checking the live view of a camera on a smartphone. *3
This is convenient for capturing night views or water flowing scenes which need long-exposure, or macro shooting in which you need to avoid to directly touch the camera.
*3 Models that support PlayMemories Camera Apps can use this feature by installing "Smart Remote Control" (in-camera app) on your camera in advance.
■ Record location information
- With cameras that have a location information linkage function, the location information acquired by the smartphone can be added to the captured image in your camera.
For supported models and detailed operation methods, see the support page below.
- Even with cameras that do not have a location information linkage function, it is possible to add location information acquired by your smartphone to the photos saved on your smartphone during remote shooting.
■Save and Apply Settings
- You can save up to 20 camera settings in Imaging Edge Mobile.
You can also apply a saved setting to a camera. *4
*4 See here for supported cameras. Save and Apply Settings are supported only for cameras with the same model name.
- Supported operating systems: iOS15.7-17.0
- This app is not guaranteed to work with all smartphones/tablets.
- Features/Functions available for this app vary depending on the camera you are using.
- For supported models and information on features/functions, see the support page below.
- Now available on iOS17.
Ratings and Reviews
When I was trying to use this app with my Sony A6000 I found It functionally useless. However, I recently purchased a Sony RX10M4 and now find it quite useful. I can operate my Camera remotely while seeing through the viewfinder on my phone. I can trigger HFR shooting, and high speed drive multiple stills. Sure there are lots of things you cannot do but those are two important ones to me. Connecting is much better with the RX10 than the A6000. One significant irritation is that the WIFI link disconnects if you goto the camera and press the playback button to see a recording. On the iPhone, if you go to another app or even the main display, you have to restart your Imaging Edge session. It does not keep it active in the background. The session is still active but you have to push start for your camera. The disconnect when press camera playback is a significant irritation. Do not understand this limitation. Remote control of a camera is extremely valuable, I hope Sony will continue to expand hardware and software options in this area.
Well, just found out that you cannot start a recording with this app. It does support single and multiple shot drive, and you can trigger HFR sooting but only offers the shoot trigger otherwise. How can this be? How can Sony build such great Cameras and develop such crappy remote control apps. Thus has been going on for years. Had to buy a non Sony remote system to do things I cannot do wit Sony apps and remotes. How silly is this?
Barely works and works badly
Network connectivity of Sony cameras is terrible and this app is a great example. Wi-Fi connection to my phone from my camera involves minimum 6 button pushes every time and drops as soon as the files transfer if not before. 70% of the time the network connection fails without transferring a picture. When it does work it usually takes multiple minutes to transfer a single picture. No way to transfer files to the cloud storage I use. It’s absurd how bad this app is and it’s been bad for years with no improvement.
I should be able to transfer my photos from an A9 to my phone with max 1 button push or automatically. Should automatically connect and Wi-Fi should be painless. Not the ridiculous process this app uses. I should be able to connect my camera to a network and have the files go to the cloud automatically. Like my iPhone has done for a decade. Ridiculous that in 2023 this isn’t working and Sony seemingly doesn’t care.
Works amazingly well
When I first bought my Sony RX100 V1 I could not for the life of me get this app and my camera to synchronize. After watching every video I finally complied a quality list of exactly the steps to get things working. The KEY to the whole procedure is to get the camera and the app to communicate with each other. Once you open your settings on your iPhone and click on WiFi you will see your regular home etc. WiFi Settings. Make sure your camera is on. It might take awhile but your camera WiFi setting will be entered into your list. Click on it and make sure once it takes over for your home WiFi it has to have a check on it. Immediately go to your app and make sure it’s opened. You will see what’s on your camera screen. You can then use your iPhone as a great remote. The procedure to get photos from your camera to your iPhone or iPod is different but the key is to make sure both are paired via WiFi. IT WORKS SEAMLESSLY except for videos. That’s another whole story. You must change specific settings in your camera menu and purchase a unit that can attach via usb to your camera’s charging cord and then into this new usb cord and that cord into your iPad via lightning connector.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sony Corporation
- 54.3 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 15.7 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.7 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.7 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012 - 2023 Sony Corporation