With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before.
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer right in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions, and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion and fast forward*
• Easily add picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music that automatically adjusts to match the length of your movie
• Add sound effects, songs from your music library, and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Easily transfer projects between your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send any project to your Mac via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X
• Connect an external display to your iPhone or iPad and choose to mirror the iMovie interface or display your video fullscreen while you edit**
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your photo library or share to YouTube in 4K or 1080p60***
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop****
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV*****
* 2x speed-up is available on iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, and later devices.
** Requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
*** 4K support is available on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, and later devices.
**** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation), and later devices.
***** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
•Transform your video with the new green screen effect that lets you instantly remove the background of clips shot in front of a green or blue screen
• Adjust the green screen effect with a 4-point mask and strength slider
• Choose from 80 new soundtracks in genres including pop, chill, and sentimental that automatically adjust to match the length of your movie
•Drop in still images with transparent backgrounds to use as logos or custom graphics on top of your video
• Add photos as overlays to create picture-in-picture and split-screen effects
• Choose to hide the border that surrounds picture-in-picture and split-screen effects
• Instantly return to the edit screen of your project when switching back to iMovie from other applications
• ClassKit support lets students deliver video assignments to teachers using the Schoolwork app
• For users with videos in iMovie Theater, the Theater window is now accessible from the ••• menu at the bottom of the Projects screen
• Sharing to iMovie Theater is no longer supported; save your movies and trailers to iCloud Photos to watch them on other devices including Apple TV
• Resolves an issue that could lead to a black viewer when previewing your video fullscreen on an external display
Ratings and Reviews
Overall great, but some suggestions as well
I really love this app! It’s very simple to use and can be used to make some very nice videos. The way you can make trailers is super cool too! It basically makes it for you and it comes out looking very professional! However there are some things that I really wish would change. First of all the text, I wish you could move it wherever you think its looks best, not just the center or bottom left or right corner and be able to choose a color for it. Another thing is the fact that you can’t do the slow zoom effect which is gaining much fame amongst YouTubers. I also wish that you could do some more effects like wavy effects or distortions if that makes sense. I know that you can do some of these on IMovie on Macs but that leads me to the last thing, I wish there were just overall more of the things you can do on Macs available for iPhones because let’s face it, most people with IMovie have iPhones. But with just a couple changes it could be sooo much better!! I hope you take this into consideration 😊
Glitches from iOS 12.3.1 update
Please, Please, Please Fix! I only use iMovie and usually love it...however, Since the latest update for my iPad that includes green screen there are a variety of issues making the app difficult to use....I feel very inconvenienced after having to start again and edit an hour long movie three times! Lagging start and editing, Greyed out clips and a black preview screen, glitches....overlays blacked out, some clips fine some blacked out, also after adding new clips to the edit when I press to play the movie it says it’s “downloading from iCloud” but it never does. I have iCloud Photo Library option on “Keep Originals”, and the iCloud option for iMovie off, yet it still tries to download from it. I even signed out of my device and but it gives the same message. If all the clips used in the project are in full resolution on my iPad, I signed out of iCloud AND I had the setting on “keep originals” why is it still trying to download from this cloud?. The other perfectly fine clips also glitch and sometimes say the same message. All the clips ultimately alternate from being fine to acting out and being blacked out and glitching. Movie taking forever to load or freezing..have tried troubleshooting by restarting the movie from scratch...Same thing happening since update.
This app is bad
Lets start off with my first reason, this iMovie app does not allow you to have your own music so you cannot download a music track or song that you want unless you get a different app and share the music to iMovie but overall it is a hassle to do that. Second reason, this is also about the music deal, when I want to download a song, which I do from a great app Called documents, anyway when I do that it shows the song picture and then the music. You can detach the audio from the video or picture but you cannot delete the video or picture because if you delete either one of those it deletes the audio, that doesn’t make any sense why it does that. Third reason, it’s overall glitchy. For example when I want to add a picture it doesn’t give you the option to select things, which means you can select multiple pictures. It doesn’t have that Feature only at one period of time you can do that which is at the beginning. Fourth reason, when you want to do a trailer you do not have the option to edit what the trailer music is. For example I am a stop motion artist and I wanted to do a trailer for fun. But the last thing I wanted to do was add my own music, then I found out that you cannot add your own music. Wow that is also dumb.
- Apple Inc.
- 714.6 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.