Iowa 511 is the Iowa Department of Transportation's (DOT) official traffic and traveler information app. The Iowa 511 app provides statewide up-to-date traffic information for interstates, U.S. routes and state highways in Iowa. It does not include information for county roads or city streets.
• Hands-free, eyes-free audio notifications of traffic events while you drive
• A zoom-enabled map with selectable traffic event icons and surrounding camera views
• Near real-time updates on winter road conditions, traffic incidents, construction, and road closures
• Access and create Your 511 personalized saved routes and alerts (e.g. Home to Work).
• Travel time delays associated with traffic reports (look for the orange glowing icons)
• Current traffic speeds
• Traffic camera images and streaming video
• Snow plow camera images and locations• Towing prohibited (tow ban) events for winter storms
• Citizen reports via Waze
• Electronic roadway sign messages
• Highway rest area locations
NOTE: Continued use of GPS running in the background can decrease device battery life.
The primary responsibility of every driver is the safe operation of their vehicle. While traveling, mobile communication devices should be used only when the motor vehicle is at a complete stop off the traveled portion of the roadway. Do not text and drive (it's against the law) or use this app while driving.
We welcome your feedback on this app. Please send your suggestions, questions or concerns in an email to 511Feedback@iowadot.us.
App developed by Castle Rock Associates http://www.crc-corp.com
• We squashed a few bugs.
• We made a little update to the search function.
Ratings and Reviews
Needs updated for Xs Max
Great app but needs updated for X series iPhones and then for Xs Max screen size
The app doesn't know how to handle “the notch” and overlaps the top icons
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the report. The fix should be released in a couple of days.
Used to work great
I got this app for winter driving information. Ever since the last update that is the information I cannot get on the app. Some of the time the option is available in layers but if you click on any other option (like plow information) it disappears and you have to completely reload the app to get it back. The app is useless if you can’t get the information you need when you need it most.
Can’t personalize a trip
The app itself isn’t bad, but when logged in and trying to edit favorites, it says update failed. I can’t store my favorite destinations or get the custom trip report as advertised. Deleted and re downloaded and still have issues.
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- 36.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Copyright 2012 TransCore, LP
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.