Minnesota 511 4+
Minnesota Department of Transportation
Designed for iPad
Minnesota 511 is the Minnesota Department of Transportation's traveler information resource. The 511MN app provides statewide, real-time traffic information for Minnesota highways and interstates, including:
- Hands-free, audio notifications of traffic events while you drive
- Zoom-enabled map with selectable event icons
- Near real-time updates on winter road conditions, traffic incidents, and road closures
- Roadwork and construction
- Travel time delays associated with traffic reports (look for the orange glowing icons)
- Current traffic speeds
- Roadside camera images and live video capabilities
- Road weather information
- Snow plow camera images
- Rest area locations including real-time truck parking availability for select state-run rest areas
- Electronic roadway sign messages
Learn about Minnesota's Law on wireless communication devices in vehicles at https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.475
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
We've been listening to your feedback and have another round of usability updates.
- Removed the "Where To?" search bar from the main map and moved it to a button on the bottom bar. Tap the Search button to see events along a route, a city, or a trip from point A to point B.
- Separated and moved the Legend and Layers to buttons on the bottom bar. Now you can easily view and slide the legend while interacting with the map.
- Moved the More button to the top right corner of the map.
- Updated the hands-free, eyes-free feature to keep the map centered on your current location while driving.
Ratings and Reviews
Great if you can interpret unlabeled highway map
Highways are presented as unlabeled green lines. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to see what road is depicted except perhaps to view a traffic camera output identifies the roadway shown. Of course, in metro areas, cameras are so densely located that the camera location view summarizes how many traffic are in a given area. Expanding the map to select a given camera shows the green lines without context, and you must know what highway whose cameras are depicted. This is not for through travelers, but for locals thoroughly familiar with the shape of their major highways.
Helpful for long commute in winter
I have to presume the poor rating for this app is based on previous versions. I’ve been using this app since the beginning of winter (2022). I work 45-60 minutes from home, with the flexibility to work from home if needed. I rely on this app regularly to look at the road conditions on my route, and I’ve always found it reliable and up-to-date (or minute in this case). I like that I have the option to chose the legend filters I’d like to see so I can specify what I want to know without the map map getting clogged with info that isn’t important to me.
Please add an ON-OFF button in Settings
Please add an ON – OFF button to this app in the Settings to prevent battery drainage and the annoyance of unwanted alerts when not in use. I receive far too many crash alerts at a nonstop rate throughout the day because of stupid drivers. Whereas My 511mn Alerts are extremely helpful when I am about to drive somewhere, receiving alerts while I am at work with no plans to drive anywhere within the next half hour becomes extremely distracting, annoying, and wasteful of battery usage!! If you are not going to do anything about this problem, then I’m going to delete this app completely. Thank you for listening.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- 27.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Minnesota Department of Transportation