Minnesota 511 is the Minnesota Department of Transportation's (MnDOT) official traffic and traveler information resource. The Minnesota 511 app provides statewide, real-time traffic information for interstates, U.S. routes, and state highways in Minnesota, including:
- Hands-free, eyes-free audio notifications of traffic events while you drive
- Zoom-enabled map with selectable event icons
- Near real-time updates on winter road conditions, traffic incidents, and road closures
- Roadwork and construction
- Travel time delays associated with traffic reports (look for the orange glowing icons)
- Current traffic speeds
- Roadside camera images
- Road weather information
- Hands-free, eyes-free audio notifications of traffic events while you drive.
- Snow plow camera images
- Rest area locations including real-time truck parking availability for select state-run rest areas along I-94 and I-35
- Electronic roadway sign messages
Learn about Minnesota's Law on wireless communication devices in vehicles at https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.475
Plow Camera disclaimer can be found at http://hb.511mn.org/Your511/PlowCameraDisclaimer.html
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Added notifications button for viewing statewide alerts
Ratings and Reviews
Useful, but can be annoying
I use this app on my iPad to ensure before I decide to venture out in weather, I can see should I. There is no option in settings for WiFi only. Msg pops up all the time to ask me if I’m driving. I select “I’m not a driver” and it will ask again next time. I left my location,I’m on WiFi. My iPad does not have Cellular capability and it’s not tethered to my phone. 👩🏻💻🤦🏻♀️🤷🏻♀️
Not Helpful for Winter Driving
This app is no help at all for determining if roads are safe to drive on during winter. It's ridiculous that the only options for road conditions are "normal," "partially covered," "completely covered," or "travel not advised." Other states' road condition maps (I've used Montana and North Dakota) have way more information: they tell you if it's icy, slushy, snow covered, foggy, windy, and more. There's a much more of a range in winter driving conditions than "partially covered" or "completely covered" (with what?!) and I can't understand why a northern state would not have a better map system to keep drivers safe and informed in the winter. Minnesota's app is very subpar and MNDOT needs to do a major update. Look to the neighboring states for examples and fix this for all Minnesotans.
Best app for road conditions.
This app is awesome! We all want to know what condition the roads are in before we head out in the winter.
This app let’s you see the actual road pictures from the highway camera’s. Additionally, you can get inside the plow truck and see the actual road images from the plow truck dash cam!
The people that rate this app low don’t understand how the hwy Dept works I guess.
They’re expecting someone to physically be out walking every mile of road and live teeeting the conditions. That’s not how it works.
Have you ever started your car on a cold morning and the dash reads “Ice possible”???
That’s because it’s using the outdoor temp to make this assessment. Same thing here.
There are weather stations throughout the state that are reporting the weather conditions. These stations have live camera feed as well as the plow trucks too. No better way to check the real, physical roads than that!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- 29.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2013 Minnesota Department of Transportation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.