Usage questions? ***Please contact us before posting an issue in the reviews.***
Peterson Support at email@example.com or call 708.388.3311 M-F 8am-5pm (CST)
TRUSTED BY PROFESSIONALS FOR OVER 70 YEARS.
---iStroboSoft for iOS---
Peterson Strobe Tuners' popular StroboSoft tuning application for the iPod touch® and iPhone™. iStroboSoft™ offers the unmatched accuracy of a mechanical strobe tuner for the highest degree of precision available in a software tuning application.
Plug in and tune your electrics and acoustics quickly and easily with 1/10th cent accuracy.
Peterson Tuners has offered tuning solutions for over 65 years and is the only company specializing in hardware and software tuning products for all levels of musicians.
• Stand-by mode to reduce battery usage or freeze the display.
• Guided Mode Tuning offers an alternate strobe display that slows the strobe bands one-by-one as you come closer to tune.
• Speed control for strobe display; dampen the response for a longer note display.
• 12 Temperaments with adjustable root control.
• Display all sharps note display.
• Assisted Low Note Detection (ALND) helps capture very low frequencies.
• Mains hum filter option reduces the chances of the tuner latching on to 50 or 60Hz cycle hum when using a direct line-in connection or while using the app during device charging.
• Smooth, real-time strobe display allows you to achieve an unmatched level of accuracy.
• Note/Octave window displays the correct note and octave for the note being tuned.
• Cents display allows you to see how far out of tune your note is in cent values.
• Tune in auto or manual mode.
• Toggle the display to show: cents, Hz, MIDI note value for the note being tuned.
• Glowing flat/sharp indicators assist when tuning a note very far from the target position.
• Noise filter: Use the noise filter when utilizing an external mic or clip-on tuning device to help reduce the effect of extraneous environmental noise during tuning.
• Input boost: The input boost will raise all input frequencies by +24dB.
• Calibration mode: iStroboSoft can be calibrated to an external source guaranteeing 1/10th cent accuracy.
• Drop/Capo mode: iStroboSoft will auto-transpose notes up or down to one full octave.
• Adjustable Concert A: Change the Concert A reference of the tuner to accommodate tuning to a fixed instrument, such as a piano, or tune instruments that do not utilize the typical Western A440 reference.
• Full screen mode permits the strobe display to be maximized on screen to allow better viewing from a distance.
• Change strobe display colors to accommodate different lighting environments or set a preferred user color for those with limited color palette recognition.
Use the built-in mic on your device for tuning or connect directly via the headphone jack using an approved adaptor cable or interface.
Devices without a headphone jack can connect a pickup or mic using the lightning-to-audio adaptor.
Optional adaptor cable for direct line-in access as well as mini capsule microphone available from Peterson.
Support via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708.388.3311 M-F 8am-5pm (CST)
fix a bug introduced in last release that broke access to some settings items.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I have been a luthier for 30 years and have been using my Stroboconn for that long. I wanted something equivalent and portable. I wrote my first spectrum analyzer (FFT) for hardware I made in 1984 running on a Mac+. I have a lot of expectations when it comes to this software. With in app purchases I had to spend $30 to replace the mechanical strobe which seems expensive for an app. It does, however, function very well. Make sure to calibrate it. I also spent an extra $10 for having the spectrum features replacing my Mac+. (Well worth it.)
I would really like a power meter feature. Beyond tuning I often need to measure string to string balance in piezo pickups. The other feature I would love to have is a waterfall display of the spectrum. It would be an easy add.
Bottom line, this tuner is everything the pros say about it. Since I only play guitar as a hobby (I find it to be somewhat less confounding than golf), I can’t add anything to the “learnedness” of their comments. I’m sure I’m only scratching the top layer of the surface of the capabilities of this app too. I do know it’s more accurate than any other tuning gadget I’ve ever used, including an A tuning fork, a gizmo that looks like a weird harmonica (guitar pitch pipe), the Intellitouch clip-on, and built-ins for my guitars and amps. I need to read up on some of the other things it can do, because I’m not doing anything other than tuning my guitars with it.
I was going to give it 4 stars instead of 5 because the screen often jumps around uncontrollably, especially when tuning the low E string. It don’t remember it happening when I first got the app (though it might have). That means I have to guess at where the sweet spot is a lot of the time. This happens with all of my guitars. It’s probably something I’m doing wrong because I’ve not read about anyone else having this problem. Since it’s probably due to “user incompetence”, I didn’t feel right taking away a star from a review that I’m probably not even qualified to write in the first place. I need to look into that cable I read about in some of the reviews. It’s not usually loud when I’m tuning, but I’m wondering if that would fix my “jumping around” problem.
All Of These Positive Reviews Are Accurate.
This iStroboSoft tuner was the first paid app I installed on my first iPhone back in 2009 after learning about it via a very talented music producer who was the engineer at Dub Narcotic Studio in Olympia Washington. He used the iStrobosoft tuner to tune all of the instruments we used on some recording sessions there, all the while heaping praises on this supposedly incredibly accurate strobe tuner he had on his iPhone. At the time, the concept of professional quality studio gear on a phone was foreign to me, and a fairly new concept in general. Honestly back then the whole concept of apps on phones, let alone paying 10 bucks for an app on a phone, was a new concept in general. But after a week of working with my friend in the studio and witnessing the accuracy of the iStrobosoft tuner - as well as enjoying its beautiful interface - downloading and paying for this app was the first thing I did when I got my first iPhone a few weeks later. I have used it exclusively ever since, and it has been worth every penny. Peterson makes some of the best strobe tuners out there, and the price on such hardware can run in the thousands of dollars, so having access to that same Peterson quality in an affordable iPhone app is priceless!
- Peterson Strobe Tuners
- 7.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 Peterson Electro-Musical Products, Inc
- In-App Purchases
- Guitar & Bass Sweeteners $5.99
- Tuning Tools $9.99
- Harmonic Tuning $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.