For musicians from pros to beginners, whether you sing, play a brass, woodwind or stringed instrument or any type of guitar, this app provides a set of feature-rich practice tools that gives fun and rewarding feedback. It’s much more than just a tuner!
So what makes the TonalEnergy the best selling music practice app?
• It's an all-in-one app, with a state-of-the-art tuner, an advanced metronome, dedicated orchestral strings and guitar tuning page, a piano keyboard, sound analysis pages, and audio/visual recording capabilities.
• It’s easy to use. Options like the Target Tuner or Pitch Tracker are on all the main pages. TonalEnergy helps users create rewarding and attainable goals during a rehearsal or when working alone. Colorful analysis data pages and audio/video recording features enhance the experience of practice.
• The metronome is cutting edge. It offers unmatched flexibility in sound choices, tempo settings, meters, subdivision patterns and visual displays. Voice count-ins, the ability to create and edit preset groups and Ableton link for syncing multiple devices make this a superior tool for performers.
• Ear training possibilities are endless. The high quality multi-sampled instrument sounds for symphonic instruments are unique among all other tuning applications. Listening skills can be developed through the use of the eight-octave keyboard, chromatic wheel and tone generator. There are no other sounds like these.
• Learning is a social activity. Using features unique to the TonalEnergy Tuner, data can be collected, reviewed, edited and shared with others. Feedback is essential for growing and developing great performers. It’s all about connectivity.
Chris Coletti, member of The Canadian Brass, sums up TonalEnergy by saying,
“TonalEnergy is a must-have for any serious musician. It's a full suite of tools in one app; the tuner, tone generator, recorder, metronome and beautiful interface make it one of the best tools for musicians out there, period.”
• Recognizes a large pitch range, extending to lower registers than many competing tuners (C0 - C8) that is highly responsive to wind instruments, as well as acoustic and electric string instruments
• Adjustable A=440 Hz reference
• Automatic or manual transposing options
• Instantly changes between equal, just and other custom temperaments, including user-defined ones
• Auto or instant pitch reference note feature using the TonalEnergy sounds
• Extensive tuning list for all orchestral string and fretted string instruments including many more features than most other string-only tuner apps
• An expandable eight octave piano keyboard enhancing many of the key aspects of the tuner’s functions
• Chromatic wheel tone generator, with optional auto-vibrato feature
• Frequency and Harmonic energy overtone graphs, along with a multi-function waveform
• Dedicated metronome page that matches or exceeds the features available on all other stand alone metronome apps
• Notation options including standard English, Solfege, Northern European, and Indian variants
• Bluetooth output/input support
• Audio and Video recording capabilities including, editing, looping, timestretch that are all exportable via iTunes sharing, AirDrop, email, AudioCopy, SoundCloud, etc
• Import music from iTunes Library or email attachments
• Compatible with external microphones and clip-on vibration sensor devices
• Supports external video output to an external display for use in rehearsal halls
• External MIDI keyboard control support
• Apple Watch app acts as remote control for the phone app
• Audiobus and inter-app audio support
• VoiceOver support for the blind or visually impaired
• Piccolo, Flute
• Oboe, English Horn, Bassoon
• Eb, Bb/A Clarinet, Bass Clarinet
• Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Saxophone
• French Horn
• Tenor and Bass Trombone
• Euphonium and Tuba
• Square, sawtooth, and sine waveforms
• Plucked Strings
- Added Siri Shortcut support for several operations. See Prefs->Siri Shortcuts for setting them up.
- Added additional single 16th note subdivisions
- Added count-in option for X/8 meters to use a quarter note as the beat during the count-in
- Added AirTurn background operation support
- Fixed issue with quarter note triplets
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good app but don’t like the sound choices
I have just started using this app and it seems to have the main functions I was looking to consolidate from multiple other apps I use - mainly a metronome and a piano keyboard to give me notes to work through vocal practices / figure out harmonies. Also was looking for an app to buy, rather than a free app, because the ads in the free apps get annoying (and seem to be getting worse, e.g. making you watch 5 seconds of a commercial before it allows you to close it). And this one has a tuner to boot. I do have 2 suggestions: 1) Call me crazy, but if I’m just giving myself a note to sing from, I’d love it if the piano keyboard display had the option to sound like a piano. You can make it sound like a whole bunch of different instruments, many with kind of cheesy tones, but piano is not one of them. 2) Would like a mute button on the metronome, such that when in the metronome page, you can see the box (or the screen) flashing the time but without the click. I can accomplish this by turning down the volume on the side of my phone, but it takes a lot of pushes to do that so it can’t be done quickly. Otherwise I do like this app.
It's OK, to me the tuner is not great
This app was highly recommended by a friend, he had used it in our vocal rehearsals to give us pitches and tempos. I bought it to try and consolidate all the functions I need in to one app. Initially I found the tuner very jumpy, and I don't like the smiley face with concentric half circles tuning model at all, so I wrote a pretty harsh review. The developer contacted me and pointed out the string tuning mode, which I initially couldn't find because it's not in the tuning section; it's under the sound tab. It makes it much easier to tune my guitar (and it has setting for many stringed instruments from viola to banjo) but if I try to sing long tones or play them on my trumpet, I'm back in the happy face tuner. In theory it should work but to me, the slightest pitch change in a long tone causes the rings to jump erratically. I think that the string mode rescued the app from deletion, and added one star to my rating, but I will still sing and play long tones into the free "pano tuner" rather than deal with the unhappy happy faces. Kudos to the developer for helping me find my way around the app. One more quick gripe, if I'm singing with the metronome playing, the app hears the click and reacts to it, so you essentially can't tune with the metronome on.
Developer Response ,
There is a string tuning mode that has a left/right bar style tuning model along with a string indicator for the tuning of your choice. Check it out by pressing the Sound tab button and selecting "String Tuning", then choose Guitar standard (for example) for the string tuning style.
[EDIT] - If you are often tuning your voice, you'll want to adjust the mode/range setting and use Voice mode. Find that button on the Tuner page in the lower right with the blue/green text. The voice mode smooths out the response of the tuner and widens the "smile" range to be a better fit for voice use.
Tuner is out of tune?
I compared the tuner function against multiple korg model timers and found this app to be all over the map with the tuning. Some notes that were in tune on the korg tuners were showing 15 cents flat or sharp!! That is a problem with the app. How can you have a “tuning” app out of tune? I’ll be sticking with the korg.
BTW they were both set at 440
UPDATE: I revised my original rating from 2 stars to 5. First because after a great response by the developer I discovered that I had a setting incorrect even though the Hz setting was correct. Second because of the excellent customer service! I never expected Total Energy to read my review but they did and they reacted to make sure I was satisfied. That is rare these days!!! Awesome tuner...I have since retested the App vs. the various Korg model tuners I have and they are all spot on!
Developer Response ,
This sounds pretty odd to us too! Are you sure you were using Equal Temperament and hadn't accidentally hit the alternate temperament button in the upper left corner? We can continue a troubleshooting discussion via email, please let us know more info at firstname.lastname@example.org (device, what instrument you were testing with, etc). Thanks!
- TonalEnergy, Inc
- 97.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2019 TonalEnergy, Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.