Khan Academy Kids is a free, fun, educational program with thousands of activities and books that will inspire a lifetime of learning and discovery for children ages 2-8.
Children can learn reading, language, writing, math, social-emotional development, problem-solving skills, and motor development. Open-ended activities and games like drawing, storytelling, and coloring encourage creativity and self-expression. A cast of adorable animal characters will guide children through lessons, and our adaptive learning path will customize their experience to help them master different skills.
Khan Academy Kids is completely free, forever — no ads and no subscriptions necessary. And we’re always adding new content to keep kids engaged, including books and songs from Super Simple Songs®, Bellwether Media, and National Geographic Young Explorer Magazine.
TOOLS TO SUPPORT TEACHERS
- Set up your class easily
- Search lessons by standards
- Assign lessons
- View reports to monitor student progress
NEW ACTIVITIES TO KEEP KIDS LEARNING
• We’ve added thousands of new interactive activities, exercises, and books that cover English Language Arts (ELA) and math Common Core standards.
HIGH-QUALITY, AWARD-WINNING CONTENT
• Editors' Choice — Apple App Store
• Common Sense Media—5 stars Educational Value, 5 stars Ease of Play
• Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design—100% Rating
• Parents' Choice Foundation Gold Award
• American Association of School Librarians—2019 Best App for Teaching and Learning
“The lessons are well-paced, filled with whimsy, intelligence, and a clear understanding of how children learn." —Parents’ Choice Foundation
• Reading and literacy—phonics, letters, spelling, and comprehension
• Language—vocabulary, parts of speech
• Math—counting, numbers, addition, subtraction, shapes, and measuring
• Executive function and logic—focus, memory, and problem-solving
PERSONALIZED LEARNING EXPERIENCE
• Adaptive learning path allows each child to learn at their own pace.
• Children learn independently in the Library—a collection of activities, books, and videos.
• Kids can read books on their own or follow along with recorded audio narration.
• Five whimsical characters encourage children to think and learn.
• Highly interactive educational games and activities
EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
• Social-emotional—relationships, self-control, and empathy
• Motor and physical development—gross and fine motor skills, health, and nutrition
• Creative expression—drawing, storytelling, and coloring
CREATED BY A TEAM OF EXPERTS
• Developed in collaboration with experts at the Stanford Graduate School of Education
• Aligns with Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework and Common Core Standards
• Features original content from Super Simple Songs®, Bellwether Media, and National Geographic Young Explorer Magazine
We’d love to hear from you. Please visit us at khanacademykids.org or drop us a line at email@example.com.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with the mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Khan Academy Kids was created by experienced early learning experts who have created 22 other top-selling titles and received 22 Parents’ Choice Awards, 19 Children’s Technology Review Awards, and a KAPi award for Best Children’s App at the International Consumer Electronics Show. The Khan Academy Kids team is a passionate group of engineers, artists, designers, and educators who joined Khan Academy from Duck Duck Moose, a maker of popular educational apps for kids. Khan Academy Kids is 100% free without ads or subscriptions.
ABOUT SUPER SIMPLE SONGS®
Skyship Entertainment™ is the creator of the beloved children’s brand, Super Simple™. Their award-winning Super Simple Songs® combines delightful animation and puppetry with original and classic kids’ songs to help make learning simple and fun. With over 10 billion views and 10 million subscribers on YouTube, their songs and videos are favorites with parents, teachers, and kids around the globe.
NEW Hundreds of activities to keep kids learning
• Content aligned to Common Core standards including new second grade content
• Over 60 new books about dinosaurs, ocean life, and more!
• Social-emotional learning concepts like teamwork and communication
• New learning games such as our timed catch activity
Ratings and Reviews
Khan Academy Kids teaches early literacy, language, math, and social and emotional skills throughout its more than 1,000 games, videos, and stories. The app integrates science lessons from National Geographic Young Explorer magazine, music from Super Simple Songs, and content from children’s nonfiction publisher Bellwether Media.
A+ app for kids!
My daughter(age 7) used Khan Academy in school prior to the 2020 pandemic. Our school district listed Khan Academy as a resource to use when schools began closing in March. We used it in addition to her other school work during that time.
We decided to try this app for our son that is preschool age but needs just a little more time before introduction to a public setting and teachers; he’s our spirited one. Our son (age 4) LOVES this app, he willingly selects Khan Academy when we give him screen time. He actually stays engaged for long periods of time and has fun doing it. He uses the information learned from his lessons and applies it to his toys or in real life settings. He’s even begun to read short stories!!
In conclusion, my personal opinion is that this app is amazing. If you have children that are already in school and need a little something to stay engaged; get this app. If you have a wild tornado child (our son) that has shown interest in learning but they are not quite ready to be put into a school setting; get this app. They go at their own pace and advance to the next subject after mastering the first. They also offer additional resources on the website for your kids, such as circle time videos, free printable worksheets. I wish more educational websites/apps worked like Khan Academy! Again, my own personal opinion and each family/child is different, but Khan Academy is a perfect fit for us.
Developer Response ,
It's exciting to hear that your son is beginning to read the short stories! Thank you so much for the review! If you have any questions or suggestions for the app, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Very well-designed for actual learning
My 4-year-old has been cruising through several apps over the summer and most seem to be designed to entertain kids with a hope that they’ll learn something, or they’re a mashup of kid shows and other “silly” content. I’m not saying they’re *bad* but my daughter is definitely more checked out after being on them after a while. They also don’t take into account kids different learning levels. The apps are the same for every kid.
Khan Academy Kids is not like that. You can pick the difficulty level to match your kid’s ability which is awesome. I set up two profiles for my daughter. One set at kindergarten level that she can use in her own, and one at 1st grade level that she can do with a bit of monitoring if she gets stuck. It’s awesome.
The whole experience is designed to promote learning in a way that’s engaging for kids but not silly. Everything has been designed with purpose. There are so many small details that I’ve noticed in the app that help my daughter get unstuck. They really do such a good job keeping kids focused on the right things and instructing in a way that is easy to understand and relatable for kids. Even the characters voices are soothing and child-like, as if it was a veteran kindergarten teacher speaking. Brilliant all around!
Developer Response ,
Our design team will be so happy to hear your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. Feel free to reach us directly if you ever have questions about Khan Kids: email@example.com.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Khan Academy
- 210.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018-2020 Khan Academy
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.