Koala is the ultimate pocket-sized sampler. Record anything with your phone's mic instantly. Use Koala to create beats with those samples, add effects and create a track!
Koala’s super intuitive interface helps you make a tracks in a flash, there is no brake pedal. You can also resample the output of the app back into the input, through the effects, so the sonic possibilities are endless.
Koala's design focuses totally on making the music making progress instant, keeping you in the flow and keeping it fun, not getting bogged down by pages of parameters and micro-editing.
"Been putting that $4 koala sampler to good use lately. Undeniably great tool that puts some of these expensive beat boxes to shame. A must cop."
-- flying lotus, twitter
* Record up to 64 different samples with your mic
* Transform your voice or any other sound with 16 superb built-in fx
* Load your own samples
* Choose from one of 250 built-in sounds
* Resample the output of the app back into a new sample
* Export loops or entire tracks as professional quality WAV files
* Direct export to Ableton Live Set
* Copy/paste or merge sequences just by dragging them
* Create beats with the high-resolution sequencer
* Import samples using AudioShare or just open them in Koala
* Keyboard mode lets you play chromatically or one of 9 scales
* Quantize, add swing to get the right feel
* Normal/One-shot/Loop/Reverse playback of samples
* 6 Choke groups
* Attack, release and tone adjustable on each sample
* Add any (or all) of the 8 effects to the entire mix
* AudioBus 3.0 and Inter-App Audio compatible
* MIDI controllable - play your samples on a keyboard, map the effects to knobs
* Jam with others over WiFi with Ableton Link
* Free copy of Ableton Live Lite included
* Use AI to separate samples into individual instruments (drums, bass, vocals and other)
* Set your own background image and choose from a growing list of background visual FX.
8 Built-in Microphone FX:
* More Bass
* More Treble
* Octave up
* Octave down
16 Built-in DJ Mix FX:
* Comb filter
* Ring modulator
* Resonant High/Low Pass Filters
* Tempo Delay
Features included in SAMURAI In-App Purchase
* Timestretch (4 modes: Modern, Retro, Beats and Re-pitch)
* Piano roll editor
* Auto-chop (auto, equal, and lazy chop)
* Pocket operator sync out
Fixes bug where koala was crashing when starting up or deleting a sample
Ratings and Reviews
The Best I’ve seen on IOS so far!
First of all I’d like to say I hope you [The Developer] never sell out like some of these other music apps have. I can tell a lot of thought was put into making this App and I sincerely hope you continue to be successful and genuine on you’re journey!
As far as the app itself I’d say it’s quite literally what I’ve been looking for all day. I’ve bounced back from app to app, even GarageBand and I gotta say this app is well worth it and I highly favor it now over the last couple things i’ve downloaded.
The premium price is well worth what your getting and it even comes in parts. So your not paying for more than what you need. I’m happy to find there is no subscription. And there isn’t a million add-ons I need to buy every time I want ONE more single feature. It’s fair and well worth what your paying.
I’m able to take files straight out of my iPhone, throw it into the app on some Pads, chop it up and create patterns straight off my phone with ease! Among a plethora of other things I haven’t even discovered yet.
I really just wanted something I could use while on the go when I’m out’n about feeling inspired. All I got left to say is this app among an overly saturated App Store full of glitchy, uninspired, greedy Music Production apps is amazing and well worth the cost.
Trust if you continue down this path of being altruistic and offering quality along side reliability I will continue to support you!
i love this app. 10 stars.
OLD VERSION: but lately after this new update even with NOTHING else playing on my ipad, everything is closed, background app refresh off, etc. It keeps randomly crashing on me and i lose all this work i had done. It is very very frustrating. not even beatmaker 3 or nanostudio do that. and Koala has never done it before. so If the amazing devs could figure this out for me then ill IMMEDIATLY GIVE 5 STARS. i only did one to get your attention. i use this app daily and i rely on it for a side income involving music production! please help!!
UPDATE: thank you so much for the extremely fast customer support. you sir are amazing!! i havent even had time to test the new update, but because the amazing dev got in touch with me so fast and worked so hard to try to fix it, i know that if i have any issues i can just email him directly and he will help me!! thank you so much
Developer Response ,
Hi pr4y, I’m really sorry this is happening to you. Since first reading your review, I have done everything within my means to make koala as stable as possible, and I have made an update for you specifically, I really really don’t want you to be frustrated or have a bad experience with koala. Again, I’m extremely sorry. Please update and let me know if it fixes your problems. (I can be contacted at https://www.elf-audio.com/contact.php)
UPDATE: I have now made a lot of stability enhancements to koala, if you get a chance can you let me know if it's working for you? All the best, and sorry again.
Like a better, more fun PO-33 or SP-404
This is far and away my favorite music app for iOS. I always keep coming back to it, paying for the Samurai update was a no-brainer. If you've ever used a teenage engineering PO-33 or a Roland SP-404 the workflow is very similar. That being said the speed with which you can do things in this app and the amount you can do blows me away. You can just use it as a sequenced sample player or, with the samurai update, you can now start turning your samples into proper synths in their own right (set em to loop and shorten the length a lot). The developer has done a really amazing job of keeping a good balance between quick music creation in the moment, while also providing enough detailed and smart additional tools so that you can tweak your sounds and beats to your heart's content - all without cluttering up the UI. This is one of the few iOS music apps I would actually trust live.
Developer Response ,
The latest version of koala now lets you play chromatically via midi. Enjoy!!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Marek Bereza
- 70.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 elf audio
- In-App Purchases
- Samurai Edition $3.99
- Koala AUv3 Plugin $1.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.