Do you have an album collection of dozens to thousands of albums? Does the next song of an album already start playing in your head when one finishes? Longplay is for you.
Longplay presents a beautiful view of the album artworks of the (near) complete albums in your music collection. It let's you rediscover forgotten favorites or just play the music you love, and explore it with various smart sort options:
- Orderliness: by artist, then by album
- Addiction: by amount of time spent listening
- Brightness: by the primary colour of the album artwork
- Negligence: by the time it’s been since you’ve last listened to the album, weighted by the rating
- Recency: by date added
- Memory: by last played
- Stars: by the rating you’ve provided for each song
- Random: a new order, every time you tap it
You can organize your albums into collections, which sync across your devices.
Infinite album shuffle let's you stay in the flow, with smart shuffle depending on your current collection or sort order.
It comes with a home screen widget that displays the top albums by your nominated sort order. On the larger widget, tap an album to play it, on the smallest it doubles as a "Feeling lucky" button to start playback of one of them.
It supports CarPlay, Siri, and Shortcuts.
It works well with Apple Music, music purchased from iTunes or synced manually.
Important: Longplay does not ship with any music included, it is instead a player for your music library - be it from Apple Music, iTunes or your synced music. It provides a filtered view of just the albums of which you have all or most of the songs, as well as your playlists; thus focussing on your album collection without any singles or albums where you only have very few songs.
Tap an item to play (or pause). Long tap for additional options, such as adding to your album queue or to a collection.
It works with libraries big and small, and besides regular albums it also handles compilation albums and playlists.
Comes with Shortcuts actions to play a random top album by a defined sort order, or a random album, optionally filtered by artist or genre. All of that with Longplay's logic that makes sure that it's an album for which you have all or most songs.
It is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Fully VoiceOver accessible.
- Adds several keyboard shortcuts
- Fix highlight of current track in track list when shuffling tracks
- Fix shuffled playback to start on random track, rather than always the first
- Fix album inspector sometimes not appearing
- Fix landscape layout on Max and Plus sized iPhones
- Improves reliability of Last.fm scrobbling
- Improves text contrast of sort order colours
- Style tweaks for the collection picker
- Update German localisation
In case you missed it, recent updates also added:
- Search box to filter the albums view by artist or title
- Album inspector to browse tracks of any album, see album stats, and set/overwrite release year and artist sorting
- Many new Shortcuts actions, along with several example Shortcuts accessible through the in-app settings
- Longplay will now include albums with one or two tracks if you have all the tracks and they exceed a minimum duration.
- Choose between skipping current track or album by long-tapping the "next" button in the Now Playing screen
- New 'Release' sort order (but see the in-app guide for how the enable that, as it's not automatic)
Feedback is always welcome and I read it all and try to reply, too. Best to reach out by mail to email@example.com. If you want to provide extra support, I'd appreciate if you leave a review or a top up the tip jar.
Ratings and Reviews
Great, but needs a couple of extra features
I hate how Apple Music/streaming culture has led me to litter my library with individual songs from artists I generally don’t like and care about. This app is fantastic in that it filters out the trash and brings you only the album — which is a shorthand for music that actually matters.
All good and definitely worth the money (could easily charge that yearly, and should, maybe!). However, I would want to see a “Play Next” & “Play Later” addition. Often I’m already playing music from the Apple Music app, and browsing Longplay I’d want to be able to add to that day’s list. Also a “show album in Apple Music” button would be great — ie a link back to the same album in Apple Music where you could then delete, etc.
I’m re-discovering music I forgot I had
Got this on a recommendation from someone on Mastodon, and it’s a really novel way of reconnecting with your music library by putting everything on display all at once. Artwork, not text. Plus: sorting based on “Addiction”, “Brightness”, “Negligence” etc. It’s a really unique _album_ based approach. Loving it.
Another plus: I found one reproducible crash almost immediately after purchase, which the developer fixed nearly overnight.
Overall, well worth it. Really enjoying this app.
Bad performance with large libraries
This app is so slow as to be unusable. I’ve *never* been able to make it play a single album on AirPlay, but it’s sometimes happy to mistakenly play one locally if my finger brushes against the screen. (My personal record is *three times* last night!) The UI looks pretty when the app finally stops “Updating albums…”—it’s a long delay every time—and then I can only pick an album from the UI to play manually on Apple Music—and *then* the app updates its UI to show that, yes, yes, that album is now playing. It’s something, but not much.
I have a very large music library music library. That may cause my problems, but the problems are awful. I just tried again to play an album, gave it plenty of time, but nothing. I switched apps and wrote this review, and still nothing. I just went back and the app is back to “Updating albums…”.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the constructive feedback. The handling of large libraries has been much improved in recent updates. It would be great if you can give that a try and I hope it now works for you, too. If you have further issues please feel free to update your review or get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Adrian Schoenig
- 34.9 MB
- Requires iOS 16.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.4 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021-2024 Adrian Schönig
- In-App Purchases
- Large Tip $10.00
- Medium Tip $5.00
- Small Tip $2.00
Get things done within this app using just your voice.