Do you have an album collection of dozens to thousands of albums? Does the next song of an album already start playing in your head when one finishes? Longplay is for you.
Longplay presents a beautiful view of the album artworks of the (near) complete albums in your music collection. It let's you rediscover forgotten favourites or just play the music you love, and explore it with various smart sort options:
- Orderliness: by artist, then by album
- Addiction: by amount of time spent listening
- Brightness: by the primary colour of the album artwork
- Negligence: by the time it’s been since you’ve last listened to the album, weighted by the rating
- Recency: by date added
- Stars: by the rating you’ve provided for each song
- Random: a new order, every time you tap it
It comes with a home screen widget that displays the top albums by your nominated sort order. On the larger widget, tap an album to play it, on the smallest it doubles as a "Feeling lucky" button to start playback of one of them.
It works well with Apple Music, music purchased from iTunes or synced manually.
Important: Longplay does not ship with any music included, it is instead a player for your music library - be it from Apple Music, iTunes or your synced music. It provides a filtered view of just the albums of which you have all or most of the songs, as well as your playlists; thus focussing on your album collection without any singles or albums where you only have very few songs.
Tap an item to play (or pause). Long tap for additional options, such as playing in shuffled order, hiding an item, or quickly starting playback on an AirPlay enabled device or your Bluetooth headphones.
It works with libraries big and small, and besides regular albums it also handles compilation albums and playlists.
Comes with Shortcuts actions to play a random top album by a defined sort order, or a random album, optionally filtered by artist or genre. All of that with Longplay's logic that makes sure that it's an album for which you have all or most songs.
It is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Fully VoiceOver accessible.
I Got Some If You Need It:
- [New] New "Size by" option
- [New] New 'Random' sort order, re-shuffling whenever you tap the option again
- [New] In-app settings screen, including alternative app icons
- [New] iPad: Show a button in the bottom left when scrolling through the albums to quickly access your settings
- [New] iPad Keyboard support: Arrow keys to navigate around, play/pause via enter
- [New] Longplay, jetzt auch auf Deutsch
- [Fix] Fixes issue where second long tap on an album wouldn't show its title
- [Fix] Performance improvements for laying out the albums grid
- [Fix] Stability fix after Longplay went into background
- [Fix] Small tweak to light mode and when no albums are available
- [Fix] Fix potential crash during start-up or when quickly switching sort orders
Ratings and Reviews
Great, but needs a couple of extra features
I hate how Apple Music/streaming culture has led me to litter my library with individual songs from artists I generally don’t like and care about. This app is fantastic in that it filters out the trash and brings you only the album — which is a shorthand for music that actually matters.
All good and definitely worth the money (could easily charge that yearly, and should, maybe!). However, I would want to see a “Play Next” & “Play Later” addition. Often I’m already playing music from the Apple Music app, and browsing Longplay I’d want to be able to add to that day’s list. Also a “show album in Apple Music” button would be great — ie a link back to the same album in Apple Music where you could then delete, etc.
Good replacement for my old Smart Playlists
I used to use Smart Playlists to accomplish what Longplay does. The most irreplaceable one on Apple Music has been my old Neglected playlist which automatically included albums I hadn’t listed to in a while. Longplay does a great job of filling that role while keeping the interface really simply and making it easy to get in and pick an album without too much fuss.
If I could make one feature request, I’d like to see a toggle added to exclude Holiday/Christmas albums.
Bad performance with large libraries
This app is so slow as to be unusable. I’ve *never* been able to make it play a single album on AirPlay, but it’s sometimes happy to mistakenly play one locally if my finger brushes against the screen. (My personal record is *three times* last night!) The UI looks pretty when the app finally stops “Updating albums…”—it’s a long delay every time—and then I can only pick an album from the UI to play manually on Apple Music—and *then* the app updates its UI to show that, yes, yes, that album is now playing. It’s something, but not much.
I have a very large music library music library. That may cause my problems, but the problems are awful. I just tried again to play an album, gave it plenty of time, but nothing. I switched apps and wrote this review, and still nothing. I just went back and the app is back to “Updating albums…”.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Adrian Schoenig
- 4.3 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Adrian Schönig
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.