LuckGrib is a fully featured, easy to use, fast GRIB reader, viewer and downloader
LuckGrib comes with a 14 day free trial. If you are interested in studying weather and gaining access to detailed weather forecasts, download the app and give it a try. Note that LuckGrib does not use a subscription pricing model - after the free trial when you decide to purchase the app there will be a one time charge, not an ongoing subscription.
LuckGrib uses beautiful and fast graphics to give you insight and understanding into how the weather and ocean conditions will change through a forecast as well as showing you the details of what happens at any location.
Weather forecast data, packaged as GRIB files, can be downloaded directly from the LuckGrib server cluster. Downloads from the server cluster are fast - you can easily explore the weather world wide using some of the best weather models available.
All direct high-speed internet data downloads are free. You have immediate access to over 30 weather and ocean models.
With the optional Offshore Data in-app purchase, sailors, and other remote users, are able to download weather data while in the "middle of nowhere", some of the most beautiful places on the planet, via satellite or email downloads. There is a separate 14 day free trial available for the Offshore Data service. See offshore.luckgrib.com for more details.
Weather models are available which contain surface conditions, wave and swell state, ocean currents as well as higher altitude information such as that found at the 850mb, 500mb and 250mb levels - these levels correspond to the low cloud level or jet stream, for example. Some of the models available are: GFS, GDPS, CMC, WW3, HRRR, RAP, NAM, NDFD, Icon-EU, Arpège, Arome, OpenWRF, RTOFS
Check the support site for additional information regarding model availability. Short videos are also available, as are tutorials and other information
• download your data directly from the LuckGrib server cluster
• download data using the Offshore Data service via Iridium GO!, RedPort Optimizer or many email services, such as XGate, UUPlus, SailMail and others (requires Offshore Data in-app purchase)
• download weather and ocean data from models created by NOAA, Environment Canada, Météo-France, Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD) in Germany and OpenWRF
• both global and regional models are available
• high resolution GRIB models are supported and displayed on their native grid (you see the actual model data, not a processed version where there is room for error)
• ensemble models have support for standard deviation and other information
• smooth transitions and animation show how the weather or ocean conditions evolve through a forecast
• instantly updated graphical and textual information as you interact with the weather models
• graphs of weather values (meteograms) at a point or along a line. Meteograms are a convenient way to see trends in the weather
• mark points and name them. Measure distances, simulate traveling through weather
• simple weather and application tutorials
• support for GRIB versions 1 and 2 allows you to import the widest range of information
• import GRIB files from outside sources
• access to hundreds of GRIB parameters (wind, rain, pressure, temperature, CAPE, CIN, humidity, wave information, ocean current data, vorticity, simulated radar, standard deviation, and many more)
• an internet connection is not required to view downloaded files. LuckGrib acts as a fully functional viewer when away from the internet
LuckGrib has a built in GRIB file librarian, allowing you instant access to all of your GRIB files. Switching between GRIB files is very fast, allowing you to compare the results of different models or to watch how a forecast evolves over time
This is a small release. It fixes a problem that a customer found, where if you were to request
the update of multiple files quickly, not all of the updates would succeed.
Ratings and Reviews
Worth Every Penny
The layout, tutorials...everything is so intelligent and user friendly. For beginners, it’s almost like taking a basic meteorology course. More thought was put into this than any other app I’ve ever used.
I’ve used some free grib software and tried other 3rd party analysts online, and this is the best thing I’ve found. People actually use this for crossing oceans. Just get a meridian transmitter and an iPhone. 20$ is way better than spending 2000$ on one of those hardcore systems you have climb the mast to install. Sure there’s no substitute for onboard weather radar but that gear is $$$.
I live very close to a NOAA building, and actually went in to get someone to show me how to use their website, and I still couldn’t figure it out. They DO NOT have an app. Don’t be fooled. Nor do they have a mobile website.
As far as accurate data is concerned grib files are where it’s at, and this is simply the best mobile option.
People go out on the ocean all the time without being smart and checking the weather. They leave at the crack of dawn when it’s not blowing. By late afternoon they’re 20 miles out, caught in a gale, calling for help. In the age of the smartphone there’s no excuse. This app saves lives.
Developer Response ,
Great app for offshore sailors and racers
I am an experienced offshore sailor and my business includes providing weather forecasts for racing sailors. This is the best iOS GRIB viewing app available. The Offshore mode is a worthwhile upgrade for anyone trying to download GRIBs offshore, even via cellular as the compact file size is incredibly important. I highly recommend this to any offshore sailor.
Developer Response ,
The essential tool for outdoor activity planning. GFS, NAM, HRRR give the picture that becomes more precise closer you get to your planned time. The app let me ride through 60miles bike ride event in the rain dressed properly, as I knew the rain won’t end, and it will rain on the whole route. I wish there was support for experimental HRRR smoke model.
- Craig McPheeters
- 99.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2018-2019 Craig McPheeters
- In-App Purchases
- 14-day Trial
- LuckGrib weather data access $24.99
- 14 day trial of Offshore Data
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.