Luminair 3 is a professional-grade lighting control app, exclusively for iOS, that gives lighting designers, filmmakers and TV professionals, musicians, artists and other enthusiasts advanced control over DMX-enabled lights, as well as the next generation of "Smart" lights like Philips Hue.
Luminair’s unparalleled, multi-touch friendly controls were first developed back in 2008 in the first days of the App Store.
The app has gone on to be used in every corner of the globe, on everything from Oscar-winning films, in museum exhibitions, by artists and musicians, event professionals, as well as in theaters, clubs and houses of worship. Luminair for iPad received a Lighting Control “Product of the Year” award in 2012 from Live Design magazine, one of the leading industry publications.
Luminair 3 is the next generation of mobile lighting control, and this release truly represents the original vision of it’s designers. With the newly modernized user-interface, and features such as the new Dynamic FX engine, Scheduling, Remote for Apple Watch, Touch ID-powered Lockdown mode, and Tap to Bump, the creative possibilities are now limitless.
- Optimized for iPad Pro
- One DMX Output Universe
- One Art-Net DMX Input Universe for creating Snapshot scene recordings from another lighting console
- Works with any Art-Net or sACN E1.31 compliant DMX interface
- Transmits Art-Net and sACN E1.31 over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Transmits KiNET to Philips Color Kinetics power supplies over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Supports DMX over Bluetooth with LumenRadio BLE CRMX devices (MoonLite and TimoTwo)
- Supports Art-Net, sACN and KiNET over wired ethernet connections with optional Redpark L2-NET lightning-to-ethernet cable accessory (available separately)
- Project based system allows you to create different documents and switch between them easily in Project selection view
- LTP faders with fully-configurable scene parameters
- DMX FX Engine* with a Movement generator, Oscillator, Color Looping, Random Color/Intensity, Fire, Water, and Television FX
- Palette/preset based movement system allows you to control and edit movements of multiple moving lights together in unison
- Sequences allow you to play back scenes with customized fade and hold times
- Sound Active mode allows for music controlled light shows using the built-in microphone, or external sound sources
- Innovative tap-to-bump gesture allows you to quickly bump the levels of a scene while holding it's button, releasing those levels when let go
- Scheduling features built-in for triggering any scene or sequence. Great for architectural lighting, installations and related work.
- Supports simultaneous control of DMX and Hue lights in the same project
- Touch ID powered Lockdown mode allows you to lock specific parts of the Luminair user interface. Great for passing off control to volunteers or other lighting novices.
- Includes Luminair Remote for Apple Watch (on iPhone devices)
- Supports various external control methods as MIDI, MIDI over Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi, Geofences, OSC Input, Philips Hue Tap light switches
- User manual included in iBooks format
- Streaming video overview tutorials are included (requires internet connection)
- Additional support for iBeacons, MSC, MTC, and an Astronomical clock for Schedule mode are available as separate In-App Purchases
- 64-bit app with a scalable UI that uses the latest Apple technologies like iCloud, Core Animation, Core MIDI and more
Please visit luminairapp.com for full details.
Please follow us @SyntheFX on Twitter for the latest Luminair news!
*FX engine and movement generator require iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 3rd-generation, iPad mini 2, iPhone 5, or iPod touch 5th generation or greater
IMPORTANT: Luminair 3 requires external DMX or Hue hardware to control lights, but can also be used in an "offline" mode for building projects and as a learning tool.
- Bluetooth optimizations for LumenRadio MoonLite and TimoTwo devices
- Fixes an issue with initial connection to Hue bridges
- Added profiles for Rosco/DMG Lumiere MAXI MIX and V2 MINI-SL1
Celebrating over 10 years of Luminair app on iOS! For further assistance with this update or any other issues, please contact us at https://support.luminairapp.com
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
School District’s Cure for In House Lighting Counsels
I have been using the app for a couple of years now. Primarily for a number of school districts that I work for and their in-house dimmer racks. It’s been a very intuitive and easy app to use, especially for students. We go out of our way to use it versus a regular lighting console. It’s also has been great for musicals and special events when we need to add special lighting.
That being said, it seems there hasn’t been a cure for a long time bug about assignment of fixture's DMX address if not in order. Also, tends to crash if you make a lot (70-80plus) scenes. Say for like, a musical. Other than that, I am recommending this setup for capital projects from now on.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your positive feedback! Please don’t hesitate to contact us at support.luminairapp.com for any support issues.
Both Useable and Unstable at the same time...
Luminair is simple and useful, because it has editable scenes with faders that can be easily changed.
Luminair has always been very buggy since the very very beginning, and that has not changed very much over the years honestly. The app still often crashes randomly, especially when saving project files, or creating a custom button icon with the camera, despite the latest iOS updates and app updates. The app also loves to suddenly set all channels to off (BLACKOUT) when first loading a saved project file, despite that it was not saved in that state. The workaround for that bug is to turn off the output in the app, load the project, then turn the output back on again. That will prevent the sudden “BLACKOUT” (for no reason) from happening. I often find this app’s simplicity frustrating, especially with the highly limited effects options available, and the inability to use those effects easily, without needing to create duplicate faders mapped to duplicate channels that have those different effects patched into them. I have found the developers have not been very willing to make suggested changes, like the ability to lock project, scene and channel editing ability with independent separate special passwords, in order to make the app more useable in a permanent install environment. Oh well... this app is better than most apps, and a sharp stick in the eye...
Little choice for this kind of app
I have been using Luminair for years and it has its limitations - not as much controllability or customization capability as some pc apps, it is only one universe and definitely has some quirks - but it works! I can control my lights relatively well from my iPad and this app saves me having to use wired controller or having to bring my laptop to each show.
However, I was annoyed that I had to pay full price to upgrade to the current version 3 having only purchased version 2 one year earlier and that once I did I could no longer use my iPad.
I then had to purchase a newer model iPad because there was too much response latency caused by the larger bit size.
Add to that the cost of the ArtNet DMX dongle and it hasn’t been a cheap set up BUT the reliability and convenience has been great.
In-App PurchasesSee All
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Synthe FX, LLC
- 142.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 and watchOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Synthe FX LLC
- In-App Purchases
- MIDI Pro $19.99
- Pro Bundle $49.99
- Schedule Pro $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.