Expand your Japanese vocabulary and comprehension by getting in the habit of reading short, native content daily. Manabi Reader makes it easy to jump into interesting native reading material without having to worry about your level: just one tap on any word you don't know to see its reading and definition.
Don't waste time trying to find engaging reading material—a curated selection of news feeds, online magazines, blogs, even folktales are collected here for you. You can of course also open any webpage in Manabi Reader to help you through it.
Make a habit out of getting your news in Japanese and you'll find your skills multiply. With even a few minutes each day, reading is essential to picking up Japanese. Memory is one of those things where it sticks best when you're having fun, so dive in!
• Read native texts.
• One-tap word lookups (with audio!).
• Word tracking: you'll see how much of an article's vocabulary is already familiar. New words are highlighted for you.
• Kanji tracking: we'll also track the kanji you're familiar with as you read articles. Check your progress within JLPT levels.
• One-tap flashcard creation: memorize the words you look up.
• Review flashcards from an article once you're done reading it.
• Automatic furigana.
• BYOC (bring your own content) via URL or copy/paste; or, choose from our curated selection of reading materials.
• Reddit category with aggregated Japanese articles and discussions.
• 3rd-party dictionary apps are supported.
The core app is fully functional without payment. Word tracking behaviors are limited to a subset as a preview. The companion Manabi flashcard app is limited to 10 flashcard reviews per day. Full word tracking functionality as well as unlimited flashcard reviews in the companion app may be purchased as a subscription. You may purchase a subscription, which will be charged to your iTunes Account upon purchase and will auto-renew within 24 hours prior to the end of the purchasing period. You can manage this in your Account Settings after purchase. Manabi Reader subscriptions are offered on a monthly or annual basis, with free trials—the annual subscriptions offer a discounted rate. This purchase supports the ongoing development of Manabi.
We offer a substantial discount for students, educators, and parents.
Terms of Service: https://manabi.io/terms-of-service/
Version 2 is a monumental update! Manabi Reader now tracks which words you've read, you're learning, or already know.
2.2 adds the following:
• Improved Kanji Tracking: We track your kanji familiarity as you read. Now for each kanji, you can see which words you read that contained that kanji. Tap "Kanji Progress" on the home screen.
• Smarter Dictionary and Furigana: The word detection accuracy for dictionary lookups and furigana has improved. It also picks up counters and dates now.
• New Audio Player: Several feeds have audio: NHK Easy News, Slow Communication, Wa-tanoshii, and Folktales. Enjoy the slick new audio player.
• Improved News Feeds: Slow Communication, Wa-tanoshii, Buzzfeed Japan, Wired.jp and more are new or improved. Reach out to recommend any you think we should add!
2.2.4 fixes crash logging.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Helpful Practice Tool
My biggest wish would be to incorporate a dark theme in the main menu. I do most of my reading at night, and the white screen is annoying.
I haven't looked at every site yet, but I appreciate how many are included. The range of difficulties seems nice as well. I haven't done much searching for it yet, but it would be nice to be able to add our own sites and blogs... Maybe that's already possible, and I need to actually find out how.
Developer Response ,
Hi there - dark mode is now available in the latest version. Cheers
Two great apps for Japanese reading improvement
Manabi Reader and it’s sister app Manabi are great for practicing reading better in Japanese. Twenty minutes a day will have you reading more quickly and more naturally in no time! Add kanji flash cards for characters you don’t know at the tap of a button. This app has definitely improved my reading ability. If I had one complaint, it’s that the sources of material are a bit limited. I’d love to be able to read from more sources. Still, there’s something here for everyone.
Love this app
Im trying to use everyday! It has a more advanced selection than other apps like it. The customer support is nice and attentive. Only thing that could make the app better is native readers. So that you can listen to all your book marks while driving. It will help with listening comprehension ( my worst skill) and tone while speaking. Other apps have this but not for advanced material. Even if they were slow at implementing this, I would pay for it.
- John A Ehlke
- 382.1 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 John Alex Ehlke
- In-App Purchases
- Annual Subscription $16.99
- Annual Subscription (Student) $9.99
- Monthly $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.